Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta Trying to Woo Lex & GG Back?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2003, 12:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mhbaker:
The special fares are nothing more than an attempt to fill the RJs on the new DFW run. They will attract a few die-hard bargain hunters, but no regular flyer is going to submit him/herself to two hours in an RJ seat if he/she has any other choice. The better alternative is NW either through Detroit or Memphis. Prediction...the DL LEX-DFW route will be gone within a year.</font>
Actually, I expect DL will do ok on these runs as there is little competition. Try flying LEX to ABQ/ELP/TUS/LBB/CRP/COS,etc on NW. NW doesn't serve many of these markets and so they dump you on CO. CO will cram you on an ERJ for 2.5 hours to IAH and then connect you on. How is that any better than DL?

As much as those on this board complain, RJ's are pretty successful flying from secondary markets (even on long stage lengths). Routes like LEX-DFW (DL) or LEX-IAH (CO) or LEX-MEM (NW) can not support mainline. It's either an RJ or nothing.

Old Mar 4, 2003, 7:45 pm

Interesting news on the varied forms of DL's promotion. My offer was a North American upgrade (one way only) and my wife was offered 5000 bonus miles if we flew 4000 MQMs. It's the Delta Wheel of Fortune with Patrice turning the letters and Leo spinning the wheel. Oops..I think bankrupt just came up. GG's right. Why would anyone be tempted by these offers, or ever make another mileage run. There's no "there" there to DL's elite status.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:50 am

Location: DC ... NW Plat Elite, Hilton HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond, Avis PS+, happily a _former_ DL PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LexPassenger:
Northwest at least is only teasing us with something silly called Milespalooza which -- surprise -- rewards you better if you buy more expensive tickets.</font>
True, Lex you get more points with P/F/Y/B tickets (100) but if you fly a lot, even on cheaper fairs (50 points on M/H/Q), you can still earn a lot of points. And that translates to miles, baby!

Score 1500 points you get 125,000 miles. That's 15 r/t tix. And since most of my tickets are BIZFlex or better (booked as Y by my corporate travel folks) ... I'm fat dumb and happy with mile-a-palooooozzzzaaahhh! That 1500 points is in reach.

Now redeming those points is another story, or so I here. But since getting shafted by DL's Medallion changes I place far less value in those things. NW has been giving me WorldClub access (on the BIZ fares), upgrades, advance boarding, and a get-out-of-jail free card to pass the security lines. The mile-a-palooooozzzzaaahhh points are just icing on the cake.

BTW, DL who ????
"hahahahahahaha". (That's NW laughing at Leo's Lunacy as they take my money to their bank!)
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:37 am
GG

A very interesting thing I have noticed about NW's program is that domestic award tickets are upgradeable. This is so counter to DL practice that I could scarcely believe it at first, but have now seen so many comments that I think it must be true.

It makes those 15 potential tickets a lot more valuable.

------------------
email on profile
Old Mar 24, 2003, 5:57 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Delta's really wants Lex and GG back. But will non stop CRJ service from LEX to LGA be of any help. Will LEX become the CRJ capital of the Midwest? Stay tuned for further episodes of "As Delta Turns to CRJ's"

Flight: Delta Air Lines flight 5701 operated by Comair Inc on a Canadair Regional Jet
Depart: Lexington, KY (LEX)
Arrive: New York-LaGuardia (LGA)

Flight: Delta Air Lines flight 5702 operated by Comair Inc on a Canadair Regional Jet
Depart: New York-LaGuardia (LGA)-
Arrive: Lexington, KY (LEX) -
Old Mar 24, 2003, 7:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I must be insane. I just booked myself from MGM to CMH, all RJs through DFW. God help me.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Yer a madman, Kubla.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GG:
A very interesting thing I have noticed about NW's program is that domestic award tickets are upgradeable.
</font>
I think they are only upgradable at the gate if you're a Gold elite or above. They cannot be upgraded in advance with miles and such on both NW and CO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.