Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

DL to increase ATH traffic & offer connections w/ Greek carrier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2003, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

ATHENS, March 14 (Reuters) - U.S. carrier Delta Air Lines (NYSEAL - News) plans to increase flights to Greece in May this year, upbeat on tourist travel to the country hosting the 2004 Olympic Games, Greece's tourism organisation (EOT) said on Friday.
EOT, whose president met with Delta's top manager in Europe, said the airline will collaborate with Greece's Aegean Airlines for interconnecting flights.

------------------
A340s don't fly... they're repelled from Earth by their ugliness!
Old Mar 14, 2003, 3:27 pm

since rotating to a larger aircraft is basically out of the question... perhaps this will be the return of [a seasonal?] ATL-ATH?

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Airlines Dictionary
Old Mar 14, 2003, 5:33 pm

Do you 777, or anyone else have more info? I tried a google search and found nada. What's the Greek carrier? Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777-232LR:
ATHENS, March 14 (Reuters) - U.S. carrier Delta Air Lines (NYSEAL - News) plans to increase flights to Greece in May this year, upbeat on tourist travel to the country hosting the 2004 Olympic Games, Greece's tourism organisation (EOT) said on Friday.
EOT, whose president met with Delta's top manager in Europe, said the airline will collaborate with Greece's Aegean Airlines for interconnecting flights.

</font>

That's if Athens gets its act together. As of Feb, it was at least 6 months behind in preparation for the games.
Also, not the most friendly place for US citizens.
Perhaps DL needs to get in the game early, otherwise, I don't get this??
Old Mar 14, 2003, 6:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have been doing a lot of research for an upcoming trip to Greece in the spring of 2004. ....that is why I have been collecting as many Skymiles as possible. Aegean Air is Olympic Air's domestic competition. Their website:
http://www.aegeanair.gr
Old Mar 15, 2003, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by david4455:
I have been doing a lot of research for an upcoming trip to Greece in the spring of 2004. ....that is why I have been collecting as many Skymiles as possible. Aegean Air is Olympic Air's domestic competition. Their website:
</font>
Surprised they havent done this a long time ago. Having a domestic partnership on the Greek end could be incentive to bring back ATL-ATH as well.

IIRC, Greece does not have an OpenSkies agreement with this country, does it?

------------------
Old Mar 15, 2003, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by david4455:
</font>
Delta would be well-served by partnering with a local carrier at most of its European destinations. It would be great if it could partner with a carrier like Air Europa out of MAD and BCN, Aegean Air at ATH and so forth. It already has MXP, VCE, FCO, NCE and CDG covered by its ST partners. But business would be improved if one could go beyond LGW, AMS, and the several German stations served by DL metal.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
But business would be improved if one could go beyond LGW, AMS</font>
But is the former not already addressed by FlyBE?

Also, the latter is virtually guaranteed to come on line should the deal with NW/CO be a profitable success.

------------------
Old Mar 15, 2003, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777-232LR:
But is the former not already addressed by FlyBE?

Also, the latter is virtually guaranteed to come on line should the deal with NW/CO be a profitable success.

</font>
BritEuropean Airways has a scant few codeshare destinations out of LGW. Better than nothing, but not what I am talking about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.