Original Poster

Here's what the Hartsfield site has to say:

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/defau.../press_rel.asp

And this is WITHOUT the security searches:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/2001776/detail.html
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:03 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Another reason not to travel..

They will also be checking rental car buses and the off-site parking shuttle buses.

Can you spell G-R-I-D-L-O-C-K???
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:27 pm

Just another reason to "expand" my driving area. I can not sit in the airport for two+ hours each way and still be productive. I guess that if I can dirve within 6 hours I will be driving not flying.

A loss for the airlines and a later night for me.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
Our corporate travel department just announced that these searches would take place at MOST airports not just ATL. Sorry, I have no reference for the most airport part.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

I just read this:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/1998900/detail.html

Let's hope its true and not a spin on the real story. I've heard that this will be rotating thing throughout the nation, ie, today (and for who knows how long) ATL, then another major airport, perhaps simultaneously, perhaps one after another.

All I know is that there are going to be 30,000 extra people in town for the Women's NCAA Final Four from Apr 4 to Apr 8. They had better have either stopped this, or figured out a way to minimize traffic nightmares by then! Although, the All-Star weeeknd that just happened (and the traffic nightmares from it) don't give me much hope. For those of you who don't live here, it was Gawd awful....they had to close several of the malls because there were too many people in the malls! (Who'd a thunk THAT would ever happen?) City streets were not only parking lots but (sloooooow) moving parties, cause no one could go anywhere so they started partying in thier cars! And this was BEFORE there were roadblocks or searches!
Old Feb 25, 2003, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

And another thing......if you are being picked up by someone at he airport, you have to be waiting on the curb when they drive up, or they will have to go around the airport again, and according to the news, yep........back through the search again. Ain't this wonderful? One guy in the broadcast portion of the story likened it to "overkill...you can strip search people too, but at some point its overkill." I agree with him!

edited to add:
there's a survey on the news website asking if people think this is a good idea. 72% responded with a resounding "NO"!

[This message has been edited by atlhalfjap (edited 02-25-2003).]
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:41 am

I used the airport's (on-site) Park & Ride yesterday morning at 7am. There was a five-minute delay (at most) getting through security. The line wasn't any longer for people driving in from outside the airport property - so as far as I can tell, the wait time at 7am (a peak time) was negligible.

On another note, security inside was very crowded - I felt sorry for anyone who wasn't in the Medallion line!
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:48 am

As of now, no major delays in traffic at Hartsfield. I,however,have noticed munh longer lines at security recently.
In MEM last week they were also doing random auto checks.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 9:59 am

Random car checks cancelled at Hartsfield...

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/bus...8vehicles.html
Old Feb 28, 2003, 10:12 am

I've never understood the car check logic. At SAV, it's mandatory checks for each and every vehicle. Same thing at JAC. But at larger airports, I've never seen any. Now, if you wanted to detonate a bomb, would you choose ATL or SAV? I think they do it at smaller airports because they know they won't get many complaints and they can give the appearance that they're doing something. Were the terrorists so easily duped by this faux show of stregth...
Old Feb 28, 2003, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Here's an interesting story about Savannah:

I had a meeting there in May 2002. I was flying out very early the next morning, like 7 a.m. or even earlier (can't recall exactly). When I got to the airport in my rental car, I saw the stop sign at the inpection checkpoint, but I honestly didn't know why it was there. Also, it was dark, so I stopped for a moment, then drove on. I parked in the Hertz lot and started walking inside.

As I was getting out of the car, a very disturbed guy came running up to me, asking why I didn't let him inspect my trunk back at the checkpoint. Well: (1) I hadn't even seen him there, (2) no sign told me that an inspection was supposed to take place, and (3) I don't live there and was unfamiliar with the procedures at that airport. The guy then insisted that he had to look in the trunk! I opened it and walked away.

Bruce
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Your explanation and this entire scenario is summed up well with the term "disturbed".
Old Mar 5, 2003, 1:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Here's an interesting story about Savannah:

I had a meeting there in May 2002. I was flying out very early the next morning, like 7 a.m. or even earlier (can't recall exactly). When I got to the airport in my rental car, I saw the stop sign at the inpection checkpoint, but I honestly didn't know why it was there. Also, it was dark, so I stopped for a moment, then drove on. I parked in the Hertz lot and started walking inside.

As I was getting out of the car, a very disturbed guy came running up to me, asking why I didn't let him inspect my trunk back at the checkpoint. Well: (1) I hadn't even seen him there, (2) no sign told me that an inspection was supposed to take place, and (3) I don't live there and was unfamiliar with the procedures at that airport. The guy then insisted that he had to look in the trunk! I opened it and walked away.

Bruce
</font>
So while he was chasing you down, who was checking all the other cars?

Old Mar 5, 2003, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yashan:
So while he was chasing you down, who was checking all the other cars?

</font>
Oh no! If he left the post unmanned, we need to evacuate the entire state and start over again.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 2:04 pm

NEWSALERT:

A long-time employee of NotSoBright Security was killed today in a apparant terrorist attack at the Savannah International Airport. A powerful bomb ripped apart the trunk of a rented Hyundai as the security guard was checking for box-cutters in parking Garage D, decapitating the notsobright as he forced open the uncoorperative luggage compartment with a crowbar. Word spread quickly about the incident to all five passengers in the terminal, as the explosion could be heard and felt as far away as parking garage C.

The authorities suspect an irate business traveller of masterminding the plot, as a half-burned neck pillow, a pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones, and a disfigured platinum medallion skymiles card were the only clues found at the scene.

Film at 11:00

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.