FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Traffic nightmare about to happen at ATL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/57720-traffic-nightmare-about-happen-atl.html)

atlhalfjap Feb 24, 2003 8:15 pm

Traffic nightmare about to happen at ATL

Effective on Feb 25, ALL SUV's, vans, and trucks will be searched somewhere along the way to the airport in ATL. They will also be randomly checking smaller cars. This will go on 24/7 until further notice. I got this info from local news and from a newsletter from "the ticket".
This truly sucks for everybody trying to get in and out of the airport!!!!!

edited for spelling http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by atlhalfjap (edited 02-24-2003).]

Marq Feb 24, 2003 8:20 pm

On my flight ATL-DCA this morning, there were two pax (at least that were near me) that missed their original flight because of security delays at the airport.

marc

CanuckFlyer Feb 24, 2003 8:35 pm

The news program I watched tonight recommended passengers give themselves about an extra hour to allow for the backups that are sure to be caused by the vehicle searches in ATL.

AllanJ Feb 24, 2003 8:44 pm

Are the airlines helping? Namely by honoring tickets on a later flight at no extra charge regardless of price or class if someone missed a plane?

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 02-24-2003).]

JS Feb 24, 2003 8:56 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by atlhalfjap:
Effective on Feb 25, ALL SUV's, vans, and trucks will be searched somewhere along the way to the airport in ATL. They will also be randomly checking smaller cars. This will go on 24/7 until further notice. I got this info from local news and from a newsletter from "the ticket".
This truly sucks for everybody trying to get in and out of the airport!!!!!
</font>
It doesn't suck for people taking MARTA.

atlhalfjap Feb 24, 2003 10:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
It doesn't suck for people taking MARTA.</font>

True. But how many people actually take Marta to the airport, especially people with a rental car? You gotta remember, this ain't a public transit friendly town like Seattle, where I grew up. Although if this stops traffic daily and is kept up for very long, it might do the trick! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

On top of which, there's ALWAYS rush hour traffic to consider. Imagine the traffic if the police tie up Camp Creek parkway or the access road immediately off 85S. There could be traffic back up to the 75/85 split. I pity the poor people living in East Point and College Park!!!! Traffic will be a nightmare for more than those trying to get to the airport.

There have been no announcements that the airlines will be helping in any way. I wish I could say that I had faith that they would "do the right thing" and not charge people for this forced change but sadly, I can not. They may resort to whatever "out of our hands, we can't control this" clause that they use for bad weather. Let's hope that they realize that this is a major opportunity for their customer service to shine. Perhaps, DL might be able to win back some of the people who've left because of the Medallion changes. I suppose we will all wait and see if they score with this or fumble it.

NoStressHere Feb 25, 2003 5:41 am

Traffic will not be as bad as you might think. Why? People will now fly even less which means less traffic. So simple, yet we continue to challenge ourselves.

CountinPlaces Feb 25, 2003 5:44 am

Air travel is becoming more and more inconvenient when you originate from a large airport, but without the city infrastructure to accomodate convenient public transportation. I believe that Atlanta falls into this category.

mspman Feb 25, 2003 5:45 am

Please don't tell me they're searching rental cars that people are returning.

bdschobel Feb 25, 2003 5:59 am

Apparently regular-size cars are being searched "randomly," rentals and others. Larger vehicles are ALL being searched. Of course, everybody is stuck in the long backups. I hope that ATL locals will post reports for us.

Bruce

SRQ Guy Feb 25, 2003 6:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CountinPlaces:
Air travel is becoming more and more inconvenient when you originate from a large airport, but without the city infrastructure to accomodate convenient public transportation. I believe that Atlanta falls into this category.
</font>
Atlanta's public transit is fine for going to the airport. Anyone coming from anywhere in town can conveniently park and ride from a MARTA lot. In fact, at peak times a lot of people do just that, because ATL's parking lots are inadequate.

atlhalfjap Feb 25, 2003 7:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
Traffic will not be as bad as you might think. Why? People will now fly even less which means less traffic. So simple, yet we continue to challenge ourselves.</font>
Obviously, you've either never driven here, or haven't in quite a while. Traffic sucks most of the time and the roads become parking lots at the slightest departure from free flowing. Be it rain, a whisper of snow or somebody getting into an accident. Last year, a semi driver fell asleep at the wheel, ran through the retainer walls on 285 and blocked traffic (all lanes, I think its 6 in each direction) for over 5 hours, beginning at the morning rush hour. Of course, it took ALL day for there to be some sembelance of normalacy.

As for flying less, do you serious think that ALL flying will stop? C'mon, there are businesses to keep going! I have a friend who's flying out on Saturday, on business, and he drives a SUV. I imagine he'll tell me what its like, I'll post his experience once he does.

AllanJ Feb 25, 2003 7:28 am

George Bush implores the public to keep going about normal business but his homeland security makes it difficult. Maybe it is time to repeal homeland security.

Airlines are already losing their lucrative shuttle traffic because people are driving instead. It's the airlines' fault too with this use it or lose it ticket policy.

Would the public get away with a squeaky wheel approach:

If people did not like being charged for a later flight because they missed theirs, write to the airline. And keep badgering them until satisfaction is achieved?

The passenger might contend that the airline's rule is unconscionable.

Same for things stolen from baggage.

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 02-25-2003).]

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 02-25-2003).]

Spiff Feb 25, 2003 7:34 am

This is not a slam against you, CanuckFlyer. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[rant]

Where do these bubbleheads come up with these recommendations? If I could 'give myself an extra hour' every time I wanted one, do you think I'd spend it going to the airport early? Do these microcephalics think we can just magically create/extend time? Marie Antoinette probably coined this little gem. 'The peasants can't work enough to pay their taxes.' "Well, tell them to give themselves an extra hour or so a day in the fields!"

[/rant]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CanuckFlyer:
The news program I watched tonight recommended passengers give themselves about an extra hour to allow for the backups that are sure to be caused by the vehicle searches in ATL.</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry

bdschobel Feb 25, 2003 7:38 am

What happens when they step up "security" even more, and 1 hour extra isn't enough? What if you needed 3 hours, or 6 hours, or even more? At some point, air travel really will grind to a halt. People will choose to drive all kinds of distances rather than put up with this.

Bruce