Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dinner in First From BOS to ATL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Dinner in First From BOS to ATL

I am going to be flying Delta from BOS to ATL and according to the Website they are going to be serving Dinner in First Class. A few months ago, I had a snack which consisted of a turkey and blue cheese salad which was delightful. Can I exspect something as good or dare I say even better? Or this a byofab(Bring Your Own Food Aboard) flight?
Thanks in advance for your insight.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 11:10 am

I flew ATL-BOS a few weeks back and it was a business elite plane. Not sure if they cater differently (why would they?) but it was actually one of the better airplane meals I've had- Chicken Cordon Bleu or something. Pleasantly surprised for a 3-hour flight.

-cwk.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Biz Elite aircraft are not catered any differently on domestic routes, even the JFK-LAX flights. Don't have high expectations and you will not be disappointed!

If you can, before going through security in BOS, sit down at Legal Sea Foods full service restaurant (next to Au Bon Pan) and have what is probably one of the finest airport dining experiences that I know of.

[This message has been edited by RobertS975 (edited 02-24-2003).]
Old Feb 24, 2003, 1:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
If you can, before going through security in BOS, sit down at Legal Sea Foods full service restaurant (next to Au Bon Pan) and have what is probably one of the finest airport dining experiences that I know of.</font>
A couple weeks back, I flew DL 164 ATL-BOS in B/E, and they served ravioli. I nibbled on it. Although it was pretty good, I was saving my appetite for Legal Seafoods. We touched down around 8:00 p.m. and made a frantic dash to the restaurant, only to be told that they were closing.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
If you can, before going through security in BOS, sit down at Legal Sea Foods full service restaurant (next to Au Bon Pan) and have what is probably one of the finest airport dining experiences that I know of.[This message has been edited by RobertS975 (edited 02-24-2003).]</font>
Legal rocks!

------------------
Vasant
Old Feb 24, 2003, 1:55 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
1) JFK-LAX does indeed have "special" meal service above normal domestic F. There is (was?) a program where NY restauranteurs create the menus. That said, the food is not that good, and not up to B/E int'l standards.

2) BOS-ATL food in F varies by time of day. If it says "Dinner," expect a normal domestic F hot meal, better than the "snack" service (which is often just the salad).

3) Legal Seafoods has excellent clam chowder. Beyond that, the menu is uninspired and the quality is mediocre. Prices are reasonable to slightly inflated. There is much better seafood to be had in and around Boston from better non-chain restaurants. Don't get me wrong, Legals is fine and I eat there periodically, but those with discriminating palates should know that is merely the "biggest," not the "best." [written with all due respect to GG and Lex, who I recently dined with at Legals, when we chose it mostly for convenience]
Old Feb 24, 2003, 2:04 pm

Location: Atlanta - DL DM - 3M+/Hyatt Globalist/Hilton Diamond/Marriott LT Gold
I agree there are better seafood restaurants in Boston. How about some recommendations from you Bostonians out there?

Personally, I like to get an order of mussels and order a 1/2 bottle of Sonoma Cutrer Russian River Ranch Chardonnay. Always been very good, though the size of the mussels has varied a good deal.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Boston Oyster House is good! But avoid all Tom English owned restuarants.

Legals is inflated (just another Red Lobster now), and the menu has been downgraded tremendously. In the good 'ol days, I used to order the baked stuffed shrimp and they gave 6 pieces and an excellent stuffing! Now they changed the stuffing, 4 shrimp and a higher price. They are trying to add Asian dishes, but it isn't like a P.F. Changs. Our family has literally stopped going to Legals, except buying their fish at their market to cook at home ourselves. We save $45.00 per trip by not eating there.

But I will say that the Terminal B Legal's used to be the place to go, INSIDE the US Airways gate area. Now TSA says no and that gets everyone tee'd, PAX and Legals. What a horrible airport, Logan.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 2:57 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Try the Barking Crab for good fresh seafood with nautic atmosphere (on the water... VERY casual). Or pick up lobster at James Hook.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 3:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Diver90:
I agree there are better seafood restaurants in Boston. How about some recommendations from you Bostonians out there?

Personally, I like to get an order of mussels and order a 1/2 bottle of Sonoma Cutrer Russian River Ranch Chardonnay. Always been very good, though the size of the mussels has varied a good deal.
</font>

Excellent choices. I prefer the Les Pierres or the Cutrer, still have 2 bottles of each at home.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Wow, did this thread get hijacked, or what?!
Old Feb 24, 2003, 5:07 pm

The key to good seafood is freshness, and Boston gets nothing if not fresh fish. Almost any bar will do great fish and chips for 10 bucks or less. Ditto fried clams (the real kind, with bellies). Woodman's in Essex claims to have invented them.

The Barking Crab is fun in summer, on the younger and louder side. Food is good though. They were closed for a spell a few years back when they were caught filling their lobster tanks with water right out of the harbor. A few patrons got sick as a result and many locals now refer to the restaurant as "The Barfing Crab." They're located right next to the Moakley courthouse on the waterfront.

Not far away is The Chart House at Lewis Wharf, which is a chain place located in a gorgeous 300+ yo building. The food is uninspired but acceptable, and you can take the Logan Water Taxi to Rowes Wharf which is a short walk away.

In Faneuil Hall, the Naked Fish and Kingfish Hall get good reviews. Also worth a try is the (in)famous Durgin Park which, despite being a tourist trap, still draws a local crowd due to large servings of decent slop at low prices.

Finally, while not a "seafood place" as such, I have to plug the legendary Locke-Ober in Downtown near the Common. It has been around since 1870-something and shows little evidence of change. The menu has a bit of everything from steaks to seafood but they are especially well know for two lobster dishes- baked Lobster Savannah and JFK's Lobster Stew. For $18 you get a hefty bowl of bisque-like broth with a few ounces of fresh lobster and about a gallon of sherry. It is almost a meal on its own, and well worth the price. The dining room is amazing and it makes you feel as though you've been transported back to the Belle Epoque. Be aware that jackets are required, but last time I checked they'd loan you one if necessary (which to me is the classiest move around).

Now that's all I know about seafood, but if what you really want is a good watering hole, let me know, I'm an expert on that...

-cwk.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Ummmm....wow...how did my thread about Delta's inflight catering turn into a discussion on Fish? Anyway, thank you for your insight as to Delta's catering, I will take food before I board.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:45 pm
GG

dalbert, I'd call it serendipity ;-) To me, one of the fun things about the Delta forum is the occasional digression like this.

I have often found the "snacks" on DL to be better for what they are than the meals.

andymo, it was the company that counted... We always order the grilled seafood salad at Legal(s), usually the bluefish paste, and I often order the chowder. That's about it. Given the quantity and quality of fish places in Lexington, however, it's a treat. Now, in San Diego, we're happier...

sansbury - the Naked Fish out in Framingham or thereabouts is also well-spoken-of. I didn't know it had relatives.

edited for ubb code
------------------
email on profile

[This message has been edited by GG (edited 02-24-2003).]
Old Feb 25, 2003, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
When leaving Boston heading home, keep in mind they do a good job on "To Go" food, or they used to anyways. Packed up nice.

But then this idiot (me) left my chowder on the plane sitting under the seat in First. Surprised somebody did not blow up the plane thinking it was something bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.