Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Question Engine Malfunction

A woman from my office yesterday was surprised to get a call from her sister who was to take a Jfk-Cvg flt on Delta Shortly after takeoff, an engine fell off and they had to land. No news about this anyplace I can see. Wonder how often this sort of thing happens and we don't know?
She wanted Delta to fly her home on a different airline. Haven't heard the end of the story , but her 5 year old , flying with her , was quite frightened.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by gungadin
A woman from my office yesterday was surprised to get a call from her sister who was to take a Jfk-Cvg flt on Delta Shortly after takeoff, an engine fell off and they had to land. No news about this anyplace I can see. Wonder how often this sort of thing happens and we don't know?
She wanted Delta to fly her home on a different airline. Haven't heard the end of the story , but her 5 year old , flying with her , was quite frightened.

From Newsday:
....A Delta Air Lines flight traveling from New York to Cincinnati made an emergency landing Monday shortly after takeoff when the plane's pilot had to shut down one of its two engines...........a warning light for the plane's No. 2 engine under the right wing triggered, and the pilot turned the engine off as a precaution.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SlowTrekker

From Newsday:
....A Delta Air Lines flight traveling from New York to Cincinnati made an emergency landing Monday shortly after takeoff when the plane's pilot had to shut down one of its two engines...........a warning light for the plane's No. 2 engine under the right wing triggered, and the pilot turned the engine off as a precaution.
Pretty much the same as an engine falling off shortly after takeoff!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:05 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
When the pilot announces that he has lost an engine and will be returning to land, that doesn't mean that he really LOST the engine!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Does DL have a Lost & Found Department?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:11 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
...and a STALL doesn't mean that an engine stopped. I think we need a few additions to the glossary...
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
Does DL have a Lost & Found Department?

Actually the Captain looked there and couldn't find it. He/she asked DL for a new one, but DL said their terms of carriage only allowed for $100 replacement value.

Amazing how stories get twisted.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Funny--except the sister reports that looking out the window, she saw a firey "ball" fall from the wing. Another person a seat behind saw the same thing.
By the way, they put them on another flight where they sat for 2 1/2 hours ( several small children were part of this flight) without food ,, or water until That flight was cancelled becasue of traffic problems. They finally got iinto a hotel at 11:30. Supposed to fly out today.
Do you all believe what is in the newspapers?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:07 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I believe that over the engine "falling off" mostly because if an engine actually fell off, there would be a good chance that the plane would not land, but rather collide with the earth. Planes don't fly too well when a) they are severely unbalanced and b) they have structural problems on the wings (i.e. the unplanned removal of an engine mid-flight).

The ball of fire was probably an engine flameout, meaning the engine is unusable, but don't worry, it was still there.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:10 am
myk

Programs: Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic
No offense, but I usually believe what is in the newspapers over what I read on the internet that "Some random guys coworkers sister" said

and in no way do I mean you're making anything up -but who knows about the coworkers sister!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:25 am

Funny--except the sister reports that looking out the window, she saw a firey "ball" fall from the wing. Another person a seat behind saw the same thing.
Sounds like a compressor stall. Happened to me a few years ago on a RDU-CVG flight, we didn't turn around but just flew low the entire way. Happens when you take off too soon after another plane and the engine gets starved for oxygen. A "fireball" will normally come out of the back of the afflicted engine. It's quite scary to see, but not actually nearly as big a deal as one might think.

Also, I think if an engine fell OFF a plane it would be all over CNN, Fox News, etc.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
If you really want to know what will probably happen if the engine actually fell off do some research on AA Flt 191 from back in May of 1979.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta DM/3MM / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chsb
If you really want to know what will probably happen if the engine actually fell off do some research on AA Flt 191 from back in May of 1979.
and several small children (as well as other PAX) had slightly more trouble than not getting any food for 2 1/2 hours that day
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
...and a STALL doesn't mean that an engine stopped. I think we need a few additions to the glossary...
A stall is much, much worse. Been there. Done that. Didn't know it was going to happen and it caused the pilot to get killed (figuratively) - by me.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:13 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by chsb
Actually, there are several examples of engines actually parting from the aircraft and successful emergency landings. A few years ago, a US Air 737 actually LOST and engine and successfully landed. There are others, but I can's recall specifics.

The AA DC10 accident in Chicago was actually caused by lost of hydraulics with lines being in the leading edge, damaged by the engine leaving the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.