Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Actually, there are several examples of engines actually parting from the aircraft and successful emergency landings. A few years ago, a US Air 737 actually LOST and engine and successfully landed. There are others, but I can's recall specifics.

The AA DC10 accident in Chicago was actually caused by lost of hydraulics with lines being in the leading edge, damaged by the engine leaving the aircraft.
I think a Kalitta 747 dropped one into Lake Michigan last year and landed safely.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by MastaHanky
I think a Kalitta 747 dropped one into Lake Michigan last year and landed safely.
It was 2004, but besides that you're right.
http://aviation-safety.net/database/...1020-0&lang=en
Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by gungadin
Funny--except the sister reports that looking out the window, she saw a firey "ball" fall from the wing. Another person a seat behind saw the same thing.
By the way, they put them on another flight where they sat for 2 1/2 hours ( several small children were part of this flight) without food ,, or water until That flight was cancelled becasue of traffic problems. They finally got iinto a hotel at 11:30. Supposed to fly out today.
Do you all believe what is in the newspapers?
I tend to give more weight to reports on this site: NTSB LINK

A preliminary report should be available in a few days.

While I sympathize with the passengers who were legitimately frightened by this event, the OP's 3rd hand report of an engine falling off seems rather overly dramatic, given the lack of corroborating media reports. That would seem to be just the type of story most outlets would love to overhype.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Originally Posted by SlowTrekker
I tend to give more weight to reports on this site: NTSB LINK

A preliminary report should be available in a few days.

While I sympathize with the passengers who were legitimately frightened by this event, the OP's 3rd hand report of an engine falling off seems rather overly dramatic, given the lack of corroborating media reports. That would seem to be just the type of story most outlets would love to overhype.
I appreciate your patience. It seems to me that some posters who are no doubt way more sophistcated and well traveled that myself have a bit of an attitude when it comes to those of us who do not travel all the time but have experienced something totally out of our ordinary travel mode--no matter how uncomfortable that experience may be. My friend's sister is , no doubt, not the every day business travel that many are--but she is neither a fool nor a liar. And I simply reported what was reported to me in a very small office by a very good friend. I , also am neither a fool nor a liar, by the way.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
And I simply reported what was reported to me in a very small office by a very good friend. I , also am neither a fool nor a liar, by the way.
No one said or even implied that you were one. I'd say you're being a mite sensitive.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
]No one said or even implied that you were one. I'd say you're being a mite sensitive

'When the pilot announces that he has lost an engine and will be returning to land, that doesn't mean that he really LOST the engine!

Does DL have a Lost & Found Department?

and a STALL doesn't mean that an engine stopped. I think we need a few additions to the glossary...

Actually the Captain looked there and couldn't find it. He/she asked DL for a new one, but DL said their terms of carriage only allowed for $100 replacement value.

Amazing how stories get twisted.

"Some random guys coworkers sister"

the OP's 3rd hand report of an engine falling off seems rather overly dramatic, given the lack of corroborating media reports"

That's me--oversensitve.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
That's me--oversensitve.
Yes, indeed. You'll develop a much thicker skin if you stick around for a while.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
The rest of the article from Newsday:

Black said a warning light for the plane's No. 2 engine under the right wing triggered, and the pilot turned the engine off as a precaution. The engine was being inspected, Black said.
According to Delta spokesman Anthony Black, the engine was still there. For all we know, the warning light could have been low oil pressure. As these planes are certified to fly up to 120 minutes on one engine (non ETOPS certified) I'm sure they were just fine.

Now how about that American Airlines? They had an emergency landing at ORD today because the landing gear fell off...errr..malfunctioned. Just joking around
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:10 pm

Funny--except the sister reports that looking out the window, she saw a firey "ball" fall from the wing. Another person a seat behind saw the same thing.
That's my only problem with this story and makes me wonder... all five aircraft that flew JFK-CVG yesterday had tail-mounted engines.

DL4970 CRJ
DL5020 CRJ
DL6241 EM4
DL685 M80
DL5209 CRJ

I assume the flight in question is DL6241, departed JFK ontime yet arrived 1:40 late.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mtparadis
That's my only problem with this story and makes me wonder... all five aircraft that flew JFK-CVG yesterday had tail-mounted engines.

DL4970 CRJ
DL5020 CRJ
DL6241 EM4
DL685 M80
DL5209 CRJ

I assume the flight in question is DL6241, departed JFK ontime yet arrived 1:40 late.
Newsday reported the flight was LGA-CVG, and not JFK. Boeing 757.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Newsday reported the flight was LGA-CVG, and not JFK. Boeing 757.
That makes more sense. The OP referred to a JFK-CVG flight.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by vasantn
Yes, indeed. You'll develop a much thicker skin if you stick around for a while.
Yeah, the OP wouldn't know what to think if someone treated them badly.

Some of the stuff was actually HUMOR that the OP didn't get.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by indufan
Some of the stuff was actually HUMOR that the OP didn't get.
I chuckled a couple times . I think new posters here expect all business, which this forum is certainly not. The humor just doesn't go over so well sometimes
Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:03 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
We should give the OP credit for selecting a good topic title. The engine did malfunction, after all.

What would be bad is something like "Engine fell off of the plane! How much should we sue for?!"
Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JS
We should give the OP credit for selecting a good topic title. The engine did malfunction, after all.

What would be bad is something like "Engine fell off of the plane! How much should we sue for?!"
Yes, the engine certainly did malfunction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.