Search

DL 50% employee cut/layoff

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2002, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
DL 50% employee cut/layoff

I have no idea if this is factual or not.... this AM while checking in for flight, heard several DL employees complaining of email that they just received stating that there would be a big layoff.

Maybe someone else can clear this up. If not true I am sorry that I posted.... Just passing on info
Old Oct 17, 2002, 6:33 am

50% would be crazy. They couldn't operate!

But more cuts are planned according to Mullin's remarks on Tuesday of this week.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikey1003:
I have no idea if this is factual or not.... this AM while checking in for flight, heard several DL employees complaining of email that they just received stating that there would be a big layoff.

Maybe someone else can clear this up. If not true I am sorry that I posted.... Just passing on info
</font>
There is a big difference between a "big layoff" and 50%. And I am sure the email did not say words such as "big layoff". Please do not contribute to rumors such as this without facts.

Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:26 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
This is bogus.

Delta Air Lines Announces Additional Job Reductions
Thursday October 17, 12:23 pm ET

ATLANTA, Oct. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines' Chairman and CEO Leo F. Mullin told company employees in a memorandum issued today that, due to dramatically lower demand for air travel and resulting unprecedented financial losses since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Delta (NYSE: DAL - News) must reduce staffing by 7,000 to 8,000 jobs from its workforce, including management. Mullin said that it is Delta's hope that a significant number of these reductions will come through voluntary programs.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021017/atth010_1.html
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:01 am

Location: TPA, DL PM, UA Premier Exec, Hilton & Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz FS, Avis PS
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikey1003:

</font>
Could have been 50% of the staff in that particular city, could have been 50% of that particular position in that city...Could have been a number of things.

Thanks for the heads up...We'll look for more information on this today.

Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:10 am

The 8,000 is accurate. I got a note from a friend at Delta today, telling me about it. He urged me to KEEP ON FLYING. I feel bad for Delta, as they once were the absolute best, and still is pretty darn good as compared to the cometition.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:43 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/007697.html
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:56 am

spiff posted this link in another thread:
http://money.cnn.com/2002/10/17/news...elta/index.htm

I feel sorry with the Delta employees, however, I think that's the only way to go.
When an airline can't fill the planes, writes "red numbers" in the P&L etc., you have to cut cost. May be Delta will be the first airline to come out of the "hole".

[This message has been edited by USAFAN (edited 10-17-2002).]
Old Oct 17, 2002, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta tried to keep as many people for as long as they could. Right after 9/11 they came up with voluntary ways of reducing headcount (as opposed to the OAL's who just fired/laid off people) They also reduced less than many others.

It even seems that now they are trying to come up with alternatives to out and out firing. Good for Delta.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Of course, I hope it doesn't affect service dramatically and I feel sorry for the individuals involved but all airlines need to get back to two very basic principles, make money on every flight (and eliminate service if the flights consistantly lose, we have seen some of that) and reduce overhead.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 1:15 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
You could already feel the reduction some time ago. I noticed that a good deal of gates were only staffed by two agents in ATL, rather than three in the past.

I believe it will affect service, especially at the airports in irregular operations situations.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
I had an irregular operations experience a week or so ago. Flight delayed into ATL, first by weather then and additional hour or so due to mechanical.

When we arrived there was 1 agent at the gate who had no information about anything. She simply told everyone to go to the tkt counter (we were in the T Coucourse)

There were three positions staffed and a friend of mine who was in the middle of the line said it took 90 minutes for them to get to him. I was 4th in line.

I had rebooked myself while sitting on the plane prior to departure for the following morning. My ticket needed to be reissued. What better place than the ticket counter to do this. The agent printed new E Docs for us and sent us on our way.

The next morning we arrived at the airport 90 minutes prior to departure and attempted to use the Etkt Kiosk. It failed and directed us to the tkt counter. There we discovered that the agent the night before had done nothing with our reservation with the exception of printing out a new hard copy Itin. The agent proceeded to spend the next 20 minutes fixing the reservations.

I fear this it what we all have in store for us.

TW
Old Oct 17, 2002, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Huge losses, no light at the end of the tunnel, mounting layoffs, extra charges for this and for that, services cuts, aircraft delivery deferrals, and accelerated aircraft retirement: It is starting to get scary, folks!
Old Oct 17, 2002, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
There is a big difference between a "big layoff" and 50%. And I am sure the email did not say words such as "big layoff". Please do not contribute to rumors such as this without facts.

</font>
That is the exact % that the counter agents were talking about.

I asked someone at Crown Room a little later what was up...told that there was a company wide conference call scheduled for later today.

I CLEARLY stated that I did not know the facts bit it WAS EXACTLY what was being discussed. So any rumors that I discussed were clearly labled as such.

If I wanted to start something I wouldn't have qualified it. Give me a break!!!
Old Oct 17, 2002, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Keypads:

Thanks for the heads up...We'll look for more information on this today.

</font>
Thank you for understanding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.