Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Reverse Order Boarding

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2002, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Any plans for distribution of restroom passes?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
One of the proposals for the Skymiles program in 2003 is "preboarding vouchers" which can be purchased/earned by Medallions, similar to 800 mile upgrades. Plats will earn unlimited vouchers, Golds will earn 8 for every 10k miles flown and Silvers will earn 4 for every 10k miles flown. Additional pre-boarding vouchers can be purchased for a nominal sum, and may be used by passengers and upto 2 traveling companions on the same itinerary. These vouchers will be linked to one's Skymiles account and will be deducted electronically when your boarding pass is scanned at time of boarding.</font>
Old Sep 30, 2002, 5:48 am

B747
I,too,have heard about these vouchers as part of many "enhancements" for the medallion program. I've been told that Delta believes that many non-medallions will pay for this benefit.

[This message has been edited by jabez (edited 09-30-2002).]
Old Sep 30, 2002, 6:37 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
You see everything imaginable on domestic Chinese flights.

Bruce
</font>
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the high quality of service and etiquette that I observed on the half dozen internal chinese flights I took last year.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 6:43 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by underpressure:
New Boarding? DL has done this on BOS/ATL flights that I have been on for years. I recall seeing this three or four years ago. Not many people liked it, but maybe it did save time. </font>
I said "New Boarding Procedure" because that's what the gate agent said.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 7:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jabez:
I've been told that Delta believes that many non-medallions will pay for this benefit.</font>
A marketing survery showed that frequent travelers value pre-boarding the most after upgrades. Makes sense that they try and create a revenue stream out of it.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 1:46 pm

I was on a flight from MSP-ATL last night, and they used this procedure (board First Class, then board everyone else from the back forward). I stood with a group of Medallion passengers nervously apprising the carry-on load of the rows boarding ahead of us (we were all seated towards the front, which didn't seem so much like a benefit at that moment). Luckily, I was able to get both my bag in the overhead. I also assisted a Platinum Medallion in the rearrangement of bins to fit in his bag.

I would agree that the #2 benefit of being a Medallion is early boarding (only behind upgrade privileges). The only reason I care about this is because of overhead room for my bag somewhere NEAR my seat.

Old Oct 11, 2002, 8:46 am

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
As a frequent int'l traveller in biz or first I have to say that boarding last is definitely the way to go. Why sit on the plane for an extra 30 minutes while the back of a 747 is loaded ? Now for a domestic flight on a single aisle aircraft boarding last would not only sped up the whole process it would be more pleasant for people in FC. FC rushes on board first then has to deal with the rest of the plane pushing past bumping into seats and the FA's cant get thru to serve drinks half the time anyway. Forget the pre-drink if no time. I would much rather walk on the plane, sit down, close the door and go. One major issue is that the FA's need to monitor the bins and make sure nothing is placed in the FC bins.
Medallion members travelling in coach sould get to baord before the rest of coach, no exceptions. This is the only way to get your carry-ons stowed in the overheads. Of course for this whole process to work flights must start boarding 30 minutes prior to departure and sometimes thats not possible (ie late arrival, missing crew etc.) but hey this is just one flyers opinion.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM
It is common practice on GSP-ATL and ATL-GSP to not bother with Meadallion boarding b/c just about everyone on the flight is a FO, GM or PM. I actually had a GA tell me once that GSP had the highest per capita PM's. I almost beleive it b/c even as a PM it is sometimes impossible to get to F on peak flights
Old Oct 12, 2002, 8:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TMOTEE:
As a frequent int'l traveller in biz or first I have to say that boarding last is definitely the way to go. Why sit on the plane for an extra 30 minutes while the back of a 747 is loaded ? Now for a domestic flight on a single aisle aircraft boarding last would not only sped up the whole process it would be more pleasant for people in FC. FC rushes on board first then has to deal with the rest of the plane pushing past bumping into seats and the FA's cant get thru to serve drinks half the time anyway. Forget the pre-drink if no time. I would much rather walk on the plane, sit down, close the door and go. One major issue is that the FA's need to monitor the bins and make sure nothing is placed in the FC bins.
Medallion members travelling in coach sould get to baord before the rest of coach, no exceptions. This is the only way to get your carry-ons stowed in the overheads. Of course for this whole process to work flights must start boarding 30 minutes prior to departure and sometimes thats not possible (ie late arrival, missing crew etc.) but hey this is just one flyers opinion.
</font>
Most international aircraft have (all/some of) the premium cabin forward of the main boarding door (767 is one big exception). I like to board early on these to settle in, stow all myself, get everything organized, have a drink, etc. It's a very calm atmosphere with very little traffic since coach class isn't boarding through the aisles.

The 767 BusinessElite cabin durin boarding, though, is quite a zoo. All the coach passengers walking past, FA's trying to pass drinks throughout the cabin, people stowing bags, visiting other passengers somewhere else in the BE cabin, using the lav, etc.

Old Oct 12, 2002, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
A marketing survery showed that frequent travelers value pre-boarding the most after upgrades. Makes sense that they try and create a revenue stream out of it.</font>
Unless, of course, you formerly offered it to your medallions, gratis. In which case, a non-plat medallion who purchased a K-fare, but loses the upgrade lottery, and is out of the pre-boarding vouchers that DL announced as an "enhancement" to the Skymiles program, while his laptop is being gate-checked b/c all of the overhead space is being taken up by tuba-players on LUser fares, wonders "... am I flying Delta?", while calculating the price differential b/w his K-fare and a ticket on LUV. *grin*

(Note: I may submit the above sentence to the "It was a dark and stormy night" competition!)

On a more serious note, what kind of capacity controls would be in place? Clearly, you can't pre-board an entire plane.

Nickel and diming your better customer is SMB--Simpy Moronic Business.

Later,

O/H
Old Oct 14, 2002, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Occupationalhazard:
Nickel and diming your better customer is SMB--Simpy Moronic Business.</font>
O/H, I've always liked the way you think.

May I suggest "Stimpy Moronic Business" instead? I rather like the image of Kevin Pinto drooling while he spins service reductions as "enhancements" that we, the passengers, "asked for."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.