Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Reverse Order Boarding

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2002, 11:28 am

FC bin space could be easily protected by a semi-observant FA or the ever embarrassing call over the intercom to request its retrieval.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 11:30 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I much prefer the Air France (and presumably other European carriers) way of doing things. Coach is boarded as one horde about 45 minutes before the flight departs. After the stampede has died down, First and/or Business are invited aboard. I agree that anyone who dumps their bags in a bin far-forward of their seat (especially if they dump their bags in first class bins before proceeding to their asigned seat at 37F) deserves to have their bag gate-checked (preferably to a different destination than the one they're heading for).
Old Sep 26, 2002, 11:53 am

FLL2002,

The boarding order on your FLL flight was not in compliance with procedures that Delta expects its gate agents to follow. Even when a flight is late, gate agents are not supposed to deviate from standard boarding procedure of premium cabin, high mileage flyers, then general boarding.

Perhaps you could shoot off a quick email to Delta explaining what happened so that they can find the gate agents in question and make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 12:29 am

Location: DC ... NW Plat Elite, Hilton HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond, Avis PS+, happily a _former_ DL PM
I've been on ATL-RDU flights where 80+ people were medallion. In that case, just boarding by row makes good sense to me.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 1:19 am

The way you all describe the boarding process here is kind of funny. You talk about the "hordes" "stampeding" into their cabin and then the "First Class" passengers being "invited" to board. It makes it sounds as if the coach passengers get shoved on with a cattle prod and then, after the coach scum are closed off from the rest of the airplane and have cleared the gate area, the First Class people drift into the gate area, the red carpet rolls out, the trumpets begin playing and all the airline personnel bow down as they walk on to the aircraft to their assigned thrones. As they settle comfortable into their thrones and are given a glass of the finest champagne money can buy, only then are we ready for departure.

From an airline employee perspective, it's all one mass of people coming at us. First Class, Business Class, Coach - all the same.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Barring the hyperbole, that is very much how it happens on many carriers. Economy class are boarded without much fuss or ceremony and the gate area is cleared. Near the end of the process the premium pax are called in the lounge, they go down to the gate and get a distinctly warmer and more courteous welcome. I've been on both sides of that "fence" on the same airline at the same airport, so it's not a one-off.

Of course, if some airlines do and some airline don't, this becomes one of the many small factors that go into deciding which one to pick.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by theDeltaFlyer:
I've been on ATL-RDU flights where 80+ people were medallion. In that case, just boarding by row makes good sense to me.</font>
I've been on the occasional "Businessmen's Special" (either ATL-CVG or CVG-ATL) on which Medallions were asked to board by row and THEN non-Medallions were allowed to board by row.
Old Sep 27, 2002, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
asflyer, I invite you to check out AF boarding procedures at CDG sometime. I've been both a premium class AF passenger at CDG and a cattle (er, COACH) class passenger. I can assure you that, even though AF doesn't deliberately try to design the process as such, the coach hoardes are herded onto the A/C in a disorganized manner with, what indeed resembles a stampede. The premium class passengers (whether because they are fewer in number, have more room, or are more experienced) tend not to "stampede" as much. I have to attribute it partly to the passengers though because, having travelled on Concorde where EVERYONE is cattle (er Concorde) class, I didn't notice the same level of disorganization and confusion I see on an AF 319. (And yes, I was on fully-booked Concordes)

[This message has been edited by jimrpa (edited 09-27-2002).]
Old Sep 28, 2002, 9:17 am

Programs: UA, DL-PM
Slightly off topic...I had to laugh when boarding our ATL-BOS flight in the rain last Thursday. We'd all been waiting impatiently through a 1/2 hour delay in boarding dues to late arrival of the airctaft, pawing the ground around the door, muttering into our cellphones about the stupid airline, stupid gate agents, stupid weather, etc.

So naturally, when the gate agent gives the security guy the thumbs up and then finally calls for FC passengers to begin boarding, everybody looks at the ground, rummages throught their briefcase, stares at the ceiling...in short, not a soul moves towards the door.

The coach passengers are watching, incredulous...still not a movement. Finally, the gate agent gets on the PA and says something like, "Look you guys, someone is going to have to get gate screened, and there are a lot of people waiting to board this plane, so would you please be brave and board!"

Sheepishly, to uproarious laughter from the gate area, we all shuffle forward, carefully studying our boarding passes. The agent sends the third person in line over for screening, and the rest of us skip happily aboard. Don't we just look like idiots!

[This message has been edited by papertec (edited 09-28-2002).]
Old Sep 28, 2002, 9:30 am

Programs: WWMFD
AS Flyer posts:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">From an airline employee perspective, it's all one mass of people coming at us. First Class, Business Class, Coach - all the same.</font>
It's nice to know that we're all SLF. Maybe this attitude is reflected in the most recent DL quarterly projections.
maybe I can learn to spell, too...
------------------
"Aviation is proof that given the will,
we have the capacity to achieve the impossible."
-- Eddie Rickenbacker

[This message has been edited by kcvt750 (edited 09-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by kcvt750 (edited 09-28-2002).]
Old Sep 28, 2002, 9:38 am
In Memoriam

There is a gate agent at ORD who routinely makes a PA that boarding will be done alphabetically or in order of age or some other such foolishness. Breaks the ice and, yes, does confuse some pax!
Old Sep 28, 2002, 11:44 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Not at all. Nobody wants to participate in this stupid and pointless exercise in passenger harassment. Congratulations to all of you for trying to wait for another victim to be selected.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by papertec:
Don't we just look like idiots! </font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Sep 29, 2002, 2:20 am
In Memoriam

New Boarding? DL has done this on BOS/ATL flights that I have been on for years. I recall seeing this three or four years ago. Not many people liked it, but maybe it did save time.
Old Sep 29, 2002, 8:49 am

One of the proposals for the Skymiles program in 2003 is "preboarding vouchers" which can be purchased/earned by Medallions, similar to 800 mile upgrades. Plats will earn unlimited vouchers, Golds will earn 8 for every 10k miles flown and Silvers will earn 4 for every 10k miles flown. Additional pre-boarding vouchers can be purchased for a nominal sum, and may be used by passengers and upto 2 traveling companions on the same itinerary. These vouchers will be linked to one's Skymiles account and will be deducted electronically when your boarding pass is scanned at time of boarding.
Old Sep 29, 2002, 10:46 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FLL2002:
I think F's like the common folk to see them sitting there in a fat chair with a drink as they pass by to their cramped coach seat and bag of pretzels. I know I do! (And so do most of us, so don't deny it.)

[This message has been edited by joie_de_vie (edited 09-29-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.