Search

New Awards Rule!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by avflyer
That I don't have an issue with. I just checked with the DL award desk and the 2 day rule now applies to everything. Outbound, returns, round trips...the works. Unless you can book all segments at once, be prepared to call. The awards desk folks are hoping that if enough complaints come in, the rules might be changed....they are expecting a great deal more phone activity.
That's exactly what I would expect -- especially an increase in phone times ... especially for the award partner desk.

I dare DL to make public those call times (as verified by the more independent).

With these kind of changes, increased difficulty in finding (cheaper) award space, and some other issues, I'm not surprised at all -- even as I am disappointed with DL in this regard.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Don't forget, the partner award desk is closed 0000-0800 EDT.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This said, I would not be surprised if the number of people holding multiple award reservations has increased since then; nor would I be surprised if the number of award reservations on hold that go unticketed has increased too since then. But a doubling or tripling in the percentage of award bookings that go unticketed since then? That would surprise me.
I also think that now being able to book international awards online has contributed to more award bookings that go unticketed. This is fairly new in the last several months.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Traveller
I also think that now being able to book international awards online has contributed to more award bookings that go unticketed. This is fairly new in the last several months.
Good point for non-international partner award bookings (which cannot be done online).
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiff
Don't forget, the partner award desk is closed 0000-0800 EDT.
It's closed for at least 7 hours every day and if you happen to call at the wrong time, it's possible a SkyMiles member could be on hold for an hour or two and never be informed that no one will be talking to you until the following morning.

Thankfully, AA has no such trouble servicing my travel needs at those hours.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dang, I wish I lived in an AA city.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Thankfully, AA has no such trouble servicing my travel needs at those hours.
EXP desk open 24/7, all needs met. ^
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm thinking of moving back to Orlando for more flight options. Maybe I should move to Miami?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:37 pm

hmmmmmm.

It cost so much to answer a sales call that DL must charge me $10 for talking to them on the phone but to reserve an award they would preffer that I call 7 times instead of once. Anybody wonder why they are in bankruptcy?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerry crump
hmmmmmm.

It cost so much to answer a sales call that DL must charge me $10 for talking to them on the phone but to reserve an award they would preffer that I call 7 times instead of once. Anybody wonder why they are in bankruptcy?
^^
Old Apr 20, 2006, 7:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
I think that Delta made a mistake with this change and could have perhaps avoided an uproar by simply allowing outbound segments to hold for 14 days. Once a segment was completed with a return, the two-day rule would kick in forcing the party to lock in the award or at least making them work more to keep it open even after they have secured a return flight. I don't know how difficult it would be to track that type of booking. For many, there is only one gateway so that once a return to the departing location is locked in the clock is ticking. I suppose the flaw to my thinking comes up when I book an outbound out of say LGA and the return into JFK. Again, I don't have a great answer to the issue at hand.

I just booked award travel to CPH for Christmas/New Years (for 5 people - skysaver all the way). Outbound on CO EWR-CPH. Return on DL via ATL. The only problem is that we have one night in ATL as the ATL-NY legs on the day of arrival into ATL are not available. So I will now call every two days for as long as they let me, to extend the booking in hopes of not having to overnight in ATL on our return. Otherwise, I will book and perhaps spend $250 to change later. The incredibly freindly lady who assisted me over at the Awards desked laughed at the new 2 day rule.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I just received this email regarding my complaint about the new 2 day award redemption rule. It is interesting that the Manager of the Customer Care Dept. says that he is "disappointed" to hear of this new rule. You have to give him credit for his honesty. Hopefully this will act as encouragement for all of us to file a complaint with Delta. It may make a difference.

Delta's reply:
Thank you for your additional comments regarding our recent changes to
booking award seats.

It was disappointing to learn of this change, as I can understand your
frustration as a loyal Medallion member, happening recently. I have
forwarded your comments to our SkyMiles department for immediate review.
In the meantime, please know that we do honestly thank you for your
continued support of our company.

Again, thank you for writing. Please accept our apology for the
circumstances you described. Your comments are appreciated since this is
one of the best ways we have of knowing which areas need additional
attention. We hope you will continue to make Delta your airline of
choice.[/B]
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:08 am

Programs: Starfleet Captains Club
Originally Posted by avflyer
The incredibly freindly lady who assisted me over at the Awards desked laughed at the new 2 day rule.
At least someone over there has a sense of humor and thinks it's funny.

I still think it's better than not for opening up award seats, and if they need to call me or let them know that I appreciate the change, I will do so.

I for one never, "held" tickets without booking them immediately, and I still don't understand why people can't just make up your minds and book the ticket already. I guess if you're fine with holding seats in the attmept to book for the "perfect" vacation (at the expense of other people trying to find award seats) it's OK, but I think it makes much more sense to do this.

And it really should open up availability for everyone, as long as they're not decreasing the actual # of award seats (which we don't really know, do we). So all the complaints of increased call time may be just complaints for the sake of complaining. I would think that if it increased the award availability (by decreasing number of "held" but not booked seats) it should decrease call time (unless people really are calling every two days to book the "perfect" vacation, which is just frankly kind of a waste of time, if you ask me)

And the reality is that none of us knows yet (unless some of us have supernatural powers) how it will effect the call time, so why can't we just give it a chance instead of immediately assuming it will do so?

Since apparently Gold and Silver members could "hold" reservations before, I see this as a definite change for the better for all Platinum Medallion members, since there is no award ticket change fee for Plats, and it will open up award availability for us. If anything, this change should make people want to be more loyal to DL than not as long as they're not decreasing award availability - which, again we don't really know, do we (unless some of the Medallions complaining about it are also friends of DL employees?)

And on most airlines, the most frequent customers do have the most award availability access.

Anyone else who agrees with me, should send an email to DL to thank them for the change!

Last edited by janeway; Apr 20, 2006 at 9:24 am
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by janeway
....(unless people really are calling every two days to book the "perfect" vacation, which is just frankly kind of a waste of time, if you ask me)
I believe that the people who are calling every 2 days are those than can reserve the outbound at 331 days but cannot reserve the return for a week or two, depending on how long their trip is.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:38 am
Original Poster

All due respects to "Janeway", the problem is for those that book 331 days in advance to popular destinations especially during peak times. You can NOT book the return 331 days out unless you call every 2 days in hope the Res agent will renew. In either case, any unticketed award reservation will be cancelled in 2 weeks. I don't think your understand the LEGITIMATE concerns that some passengers have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.