Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Medallion Status and Bonus Miles with AMEX MR transfer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medallion Status and Bonus Miles with AMEX MR transfer

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2002, 8:32 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Delta fans, so far all the AMEX cardholders over in the AMEX thread are panning this one.

My first thought was this would be highly-dilutive to current DL elite statusholders....*if* AMEX MR 250K+ pointholders took the bait, which I can't believe many informed AMEX/MR members will do. Didn't figure the true flyers would appreciate this one either since 250K-400K chunks of MR points hitting the program can't help seat availability.

After reading the terms of the promo, decided it was a true dud of a promo with a very limited elite status window of 6-8mo max....then concluded any in-rush of 250K chunks of MR points/, ir new DL miles would likely make ff seats even tougher to obtain (ie similar to how Continental Onepass is - atrocious for seat availability at the basic level).

For no good reason that I can see, and all the wrong reasons, should anyone seriously consider moving 250K+ miles into Delta.

Gotta wonder what AMEX Membership Rewards are thinking when they designed this promo...I can see Delta's intrinsic benefit...granting of very limiting, short-fuse elite status, chance to bring in incremental income (ie sale of miles to Amex/MR) and maybe some new faces to the Delta brand that might also BUY a ticket...but where does AMEX gain here ?
Old May 21, 2002, 9:24 am

Should I do this?

Historically I have only used MR for Delta and Continental. I like Delta a lot more than Continental.

The medallion has limited interest to me since when I fly on award travel I usually fly first class.

The way I see this is: 'eliminate Continental for possible award travel and get 20% more miles'

Anyone else has furhter thoughts?
Old May 21, 2002, 10:02 am
Gui

I am thinking the same as you AAalot. Just got the flyer in the mail yesteday regarding this MR tranfer to DL promotion.although I have known of it from this thread for a few weeks. Will probably wait a few weeks.cogitate some on it..I think the promo is thru June 30...and then I am thinking seriously of moving some MR points to my Skymiles account and pick up the added 20%..

Old Jun 12, 2002, 12:37 pm

I have lots of Amex points but I am already a Delta GM. Does anyone know if Delta would consider allowing a GM to upgrade to PM with the transfer of 500,000 or more points, and if so, what would be the best way to ask them? (I know that just by ASKING this question I risk flames from the "real" PMs who fly 100k base miles per year...and from other people who just think I am being too pushy for words to even think about this. Sorry guys!)
Old Jun 12, 2002, 1:29 pm

I seriously doubt it. There have been fastrack to Silver and Gold promotions, and Delta will comp ofther FF program status programs to Silver and Gold, but I don't think I've seen any case where they'll move you to Platinum. The top tier on most airlines is one you almost always have to earn byt flying (if you spend LOTS of money they may give it to you).

Jeff
Old Jun 13, 2002, 7:01 am

Does anybody know if any of the transferred miles (maybe the 10% bonus) will count as base/MM miles? thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.