FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medallion Status and Bonus Miles with AMEX MR transfer
Old May 21, 2002, 8:32 am
ILUVCITIBANK

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Delta fans, so far all the AMEX cardholders over in the AMEX thread are panning this one.

My first thought was this would be highly-dilutive to current DL elite statusholders....*if* AMEX MR 250K+ pointholders took the bait, which I can't believe many informed AMEX/MR members will do. Didn't figure the true flyers would appreciate this one either since 250K-400K chunks of MR points hitting the program can't help seat availability.

After reading the terms of the promo, decided it was a true dud of a promo with a very limited elite status window of 6-8mo max....then concluded any in-rush of 250K chunks of MR points/, ir new DL miles would likely make ff seats even tougher to obtain (ie similar to how Continental Onepass is - atrocious for seat availability at the basic level).

For no good reason that I can see, and all the wrong reasons, should anyone seriously consider moving 250K+ miles into Delta.

Gotta wonder what AMEX Membership Rewards are thinking when they designed this promo...I can see Delta's intrinsic benefit...granting of very limiting, short-fuse elite status, chance to bring in incremental income (ie sale of miles to Amex/MR) and maybe some new faces to the Delta brand that might also BUY a ticket...but where does AMEX gain here ?