Search

Better connection- PDX or SLC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2000, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Better connection- PDX or SLC?

I am flying from JFK to LAS on 12/29 and am returning on 1/2. There are no nonstop flights to LAS from JFK, so my choices for a connecting airport are PDX or SLC.Is there a difference between PDX or SLC that I should be aware of before I book the ticket? My concerns are the local weather, ontime departures, ease of switching planes at the terminal and any other pointers that you guys might have.

[This message has been edited by Rssrsvp (edited 10-04-2000).]
Old Oct 4, 2000, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Delta has a late-night non-stop JFK-LAS (DL415, 11:45 p.m. - 2:07 a.m.). I've taken that flight a couple of times. It arrives at a pretty bad time, but traffic won't be a problem then! Did you consider that flight?

Bruce
Old Oct 4, 2000, 7:48 am

Location: GSP DL 4MM/PM/FC, US Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Gold
If I had to connect, I'd choose SLC over PDX. It's not so far out of the way, and you have more choices should things go wrong.
Old Oct 4, 2000, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, I saw that one. However, I am meeting some friends in Vegas who will be there early, and want to get the most out of the day there before I hit the tables.
Originally posted by bdschobel:
Delta has a late-night non-stop JFK-LAS (DL415, 11:45 p.m. - 2:07 a.m.). I've taken that flight a couple of times. It arrives at a pretty bad time, but traffic won't be a problem then! Did you consider that flight?

Bruce
Old Oct 4, 2000, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My concern with SLC is the weather there that time of the year. Can I expect any snow? What is your gut feeling on that issue?
Originally posted by RRWhite:
If I had to connect, I'd choose SLC over PDX. It's not so far out of the way, and you have more choices should things go wrong.

Old Oct 4, 2000, 8:02 am

It's very unlikely you'll have weather delays related to SLC weather. I've found SLC and CVG to be the most efficient/problem free hubs in the US.

PDX is probably more prone to weather delays this time of year due to fog but even that is highly unlikely.

Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
My concern with SLC is the weather there that time of the year. Can I expect any snow? What is your gut feeling on that issue? [This message has been edited by Rssrsvp (edited 10-04-2000).]

Old Oct 4, 2000, 8:05 am

That's true but the PDX-JFK run would be on a 767-300ER with Business Elite seating!!!

Originally posted by RRWhite:
Old Oct 4, 2000, 8:43 am

I'm with davefr. SLC doesn't get bogged down, even when other airports do. They know how to deal with snow in SLC.
Old Oct 4, 2000, 9:11 am

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
Also, you'll earn more miles connecting in PDX!
Old Oct 4, 2000, 9:37 am

PDX rarely gets bogged down due to traffic. Plus you could enjoy some wonderful tax free shopping.
Old Oct 4, 2000, 2:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Why wouldn't ATL be a connecting point to consider? It seems strange to limit it to SLC or PDX.
Old Oct 4, 2000, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would think that ATL would not be logical because you are going out of your way and , plus it is a very congested airport.
Originally posted by Robert Leach:
Why wouldn't ATL be a connecting point to consider? It seems strange to limit it to SLC or PDX.
Old Oct 4, 2000, 4:32 pm

Why go thru ATL "hell" when you can have SLC, PDX, or CVG "heaven".

Old Oct 4, 2000, 10:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS 100K
PDX is the only way to go. You only have one concourse to worry about and can connect to any other DL gate in under 5 minutes.
Old Oct 4, 2000, 11:18 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
My votes with PDX as well, even though it's farther.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.