Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Systemwide Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 1999, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Systemwide Upgrades

Is DL alone in using systemwide upgrade certificates? I've been studying NW and CO policies on international upgrades ... I believe there are no complimentary international upgrades. It makes DL's systemwide upgrades a good feature of Skymiles when used on international itineraries.
Old Jul 18, 1999, 4:45 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
As someone else once mentioned that I had not realized previously, DL is one of the only US airlines (if not the only US airline) that gives complimentary upgrades good on international flights for domestic flying. This is especially good for those of us who typically only fly domestically, but may have the opportunity for international flights at some point.
Old Jul 18, 1999, 5:03 pm
Original Member

Sysremwide upgrades are a great feature of the Sky Miles program. As well as being valid for internationally (though only on M fares and above which are expensive), they can be confirmed at the time of booking - subject to availability. I believe you get two of these certificates for every 20,000 base miles flown whilst an elite member. Base miles are the actual miles flown on DL, OS, SN and SR.

Another feature of DL's program that I'm a fan of is the fact that Gold and Platinum members get double miles on their Atlantic Excellence partners for travel in coach -though I'm not sure for how much longer given the current movements in airline alliances. However, with that said, I understand SR and DL have agreed to continue their alliance until at least the end of next year - so hopefully this perk will continue until then too.
Old Jul 18, 1999, 5:20 pm
Original Member

The systemwide upgrades are an excellent feature for the reasons Leroy outlines. A very postivie reason for non-US flyers to use a predominently US program.

Its good news abour SR sticking around for another year, but has anyone heard any news or rumours about when AF come on board as a base miles partner? Surely it can't be too much longer?
Old Jul 18, 1999, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

james, a manager at the Medallion desk told me that DL "plans" to have AF as a full base miles partner "this fall" (1999).

Unpublicized fact about DL's systemwide upgrades. One layover is permitted on each inbound and outbound segment (i.e., requires 2 certs for RT, not 4), and open jaw is OK. If a reservationist says otherwise, ask her/him to check with a manager.

I'm glad SR is staying in AE, since SR has that great ZRH/LAX nonstop. But SR biz class seat cushions are even harder than BizElite, and I can't undertand why DL out of ZRH has better Swiss wines than SR. I bet Rudi knows.

The only downside with systemwide upgrades is that you can lose upgrades on partners between the time you book and the ticket gets issued. DL apparently can't lock in the upgrade seats in partner inventory the way they can in their own inventory. Now that I know DL is unique, I can't complain about losing a partner upgrade every now and then.

Old Jul 19, 1999, 1:58 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I can't undertand why DL out of ZRH has better Swiss wines than SR. I bet Rudi knows.De gustibus not disputante - don't fight over taste - ber den Geschmack lsst sich nicht streiten.
Old Jul 19, 1999, 9:00 am

Has anyone had any luck with the following scenarios:

1-using someone else's systemwide upgrade certs...name on cert is same last name as passenger.

2-upgrading a traveling companion using a systemwide upgrade.

I am referring to the new coupons which state that they are non-transferable. I seem to remember being told once that purchasing a ticket for another flyer using the coupon was not considered a transfer in Delta's eyes.

------------------
SD Flyer

Old Jul 19, 1999, 9:26 am

Although the certificates stated no transfer I was able to upgrade my partner on international trips using my systemwide upgrades until the L class fiasco. Since then the rules have been followed much more closely.
Old Jul 19, 1999, 10:00 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I sent an e-mail to DL last week asking them if there was anyway I could upgrade a companion flying with me, either using segment or systemwide upgrades ...

We'll see if they ever answer ...
Old Jul 19, 1999, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Rudi, of course you are right. DL happens to have a "Caves de Geneve" white, which is one of my favorites.
Old Jul 19, 1999, 4:32 pm
Original Member

Beckles: I have the same problem. I'll be travelling with my father cross-country later this month. I can use a system-wide to cover me, but I can't bounce him up without losing miles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.