Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Medallion Status and Spouse's

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 1999, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Platinum Medallion Status and Spouse's

I'm debating the issue of "going for" platinum status this year OR settling for gold status and flying another airline to diversify my allegiance.

My question is does Delta do anything regarding upgrading spouse's of Platinum Medallion flyers when the two fly together? Assuming both of us are flying on K class tickets, does Delta expect my wife to fly in coach while I fly in first? I'll NEVER hear the end of it! I know Northwest upgrades spouse's of Gold Elite members so I'm curious about Delta's policy.
Old May 18, 1999, 4:42 pm
Original Member

My understanding is that DL does not allow companion upgrades unless you use miles to upgrade your companion. I'm facing the same predicurement - Gold on Delta - I often travel with my father who is not elite and it would be very uncomfortable sitting in first with him in coach - so I normally just give him my first class boarding pass and sit in his seat in coach. But, that means that a Gold Medallion flyer is in coach - it makes no sense really! I suppose the logic is that upgrades are scarce enough so that they can not afford to offer it to everyone's immediate family.
Old May 18, 1999, 4:58 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
This is the one thing that other programs allow that DL doesn't, upgrading of companions ...

Whether you think it's good or bad depends on whether you travel alone (good, better chance at upgrades) or with a companion (bad, can't upgrade the companion) more ...

Note, I don't think most airlines allow upgrading more than one companion using elite privileges, though I'm not positive about that ...
Old May 18, 1999, 7:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
DL does not allow the free spouse upgrade for Plat members. Only had it happen once when we were both in coach and a lot of empty
front seats. Approached flight attendant after takeoff and they agreed because we were sitting next to a weird person (no one who posts here). Recommend you get the front seat and publically give to spouse as it might evoke a favorable response from cabin crew if seats open.
Old May 18, 1999, 8:58 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
My girlfriend and I were both upgraded on one flight because coach was full and they wanted our seats and there was plenty of room in FC. Comp upgrades on L class fares for both of us (she is not elite, I'm GM), admittedly DL did it for their own benefit, but nice none the less!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.