Search

gold-medallion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 1998, 5:33 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

gold-medallion

Greetings all,
I'm just starting out my professional career and thus all the travel aspects that accompany it. Not too long ago I sort of picked Delta from a barrel but after reading everyone's postings, I'm starting to wonder if I should switch to another airline before I attain Gold Medallion. What is it about Gold that makes it so iffy? Thanks in advance...
Old Jun 29, 1998, 9:14 pm
Original Member

Hey cattop, welcome aboard! You're in for
a great ride. Stay with us and you'll find out
all the news and "ins and outs" about this
flything we do.

Good Luck--jaws43
Old Jun 30, 1998, 2:02 pm
Original Member

My most humble apologies captop. A slip
on the ol' keyboard can make a lot of difference. Anyway, A Great Big Hearty
WELCOME ABOARD!!!!! to the one and only ---captop----- jaws43
Old Jun 30, 1998, 4:31 pm
Original Member

What makes Delta so good? Truthfully, as a Platinum Medallion, I'm starting to ask myself that same question. Most of it will depend on your travel habits. Is Delta the most convenient airline for you based on where you normally fly? For the routes you will be flying, is there is significant difference between an "L" fare ticket and the next discounted fare basis, typically "K"? Does your employer insist on the lowest available airfare for your trips? As a Delta frequent flyer, you will get S-Q-U-A-T from Delta even as a BILLION miler if you're flying on "L" fares most of the time. As a Platinum, you do get free use of the Crown Rooms, but you had asked about Gold...

Hope this helps. Join the discussions!
Jon

Old Jul 1, 1998, 7:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Captop --

The whole issue revolves around ability to upgrade to first class.

If you're flying on full fare or other typical business fare tickets, you'll probably be happy with Gold Medallion. If you fly on the cheapest "excursion" fares (which ususally -- but not always -- require a Saturday night stayover), you won't see any improvement being Gold with regard to your ability to upgrade.

You will earn 100% bonus mileage for being Gold Medallion, and you'll receive an occasional international upgrade coupon in the mail that is nice.

It all depends on your travel pattern. Look at your tickets so far this year. How many of them are booked in "L" class?

Robert

Old Jul 6, 1998, 10:18 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I have been a Gold Medallion member on Delta since last year. The milage bonuses are great (100% bonus) and I have more free upgrades than I can use ... but then of course that's part of the problem.

One reason upgrades are so hard to use right now is that when Delta switched to electronic upgrades from paper upgrades last year, they literally gave away millions of free upgrades. When the switch occurred, they replaced all *unexpired* paper upgrades with electronic ones, regardless of whether they had been used or not.

The restriction on upgrading L class fares is a new one, and it does suck, BUT, I've been upgraded twice this year even on L class fares. Once First Class was half empty and coach was full and the flight attendant came and got me out of coach and moved me to first. On another flight I showed up at the airport and they had bumped me and my girlfriend (who had 0 lifetime miles in her account at the time) to first class to make more seats in coach available.

Also, If your flight gets cancelled, Delta's computers automatically rebook affected customers in a certain order, and your SkyMiles membership level has an affect on your priority.

Living in New Orleans, Delta is my airline of choice primarily because they offer a lot of flights, and by far the most available seats, but I've been pretty happy with the experience overall, and recommend it *IF* Delta is the best airline for you based on service to your local airport.
Old Jul 6, 1998, 4:14 pm
Original Member

I left Delta after the breakdown in customer service. Also the L-Fare upgrade thing drives me nuts. I would look at United's Mileage Plus or Continental. I have no experience with CO, but their fans are really fanatical if you make their top tier.

Phil
Old Jul 6, 1998, 4:15 pm
Original Member

I forgot especially since UA and Delta are merging their FF programs in America. There is no L fare type upgrade ban, and you can still fly Delta if you want. Check out the United list, and ask some questions.

Phil
Old Jul 6, 1998, 7:39 pm
Original Member

It's only a hop, skip and jump from Gold to Platinum. At Platinum level, being able to confirm upgrades at the time the reservation is made is quite a perk. At Gold level, the 72 hour rule for confiming upgrades is almost as good. The years I was Gold, I was able to confirm about 80% of the time. One of the reasons for this good luck may be that since I fly from DTW into CVG or ATL, and then connect, I could call 72 hours in advance of the DTW departure, and upgrade the entire outgoing journey, getting in ahead of those hundreds (or thousands) who originate at CVG or ATL.

P.S. Reading all of the recent notes criticizing Delta, I can assure you that they are far superior to Northwest, the
primary carrier at DTW.

Old Jul 7, 1998, 11:53 pm
Original Member

I didn't see the DTW...yes that would limit you to DL. NWA is a JOKE of an airline. I only fly them because I have to sometimes to Asia. AVOID NWA AVOID AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Phil
Old Jul 8, 1998, 8:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
I'm sure that Delta feels GOOD knowing that their FF's agree that they are a better airline than NW.
Old Jul 8, 1998, 12:10 pm
Commander Catcop

Make that two people who don't care for NWA.
I had to fly them once a few years ago for
a business trip to Minneapolis for my former
employer. Despite my suggestions, I got put
on Northwest ("it's cheaper and more convenient was the answer I got.")

The first flight was cancelled, the second
plane took off, only to land in Ohio because
of engine problems. I told them put me on
Delta or someone else, no help.

Needless to say I spent the night in Ohio,
missed the meeting and spent the rest of my
Minn. trip playing catchup.

If I go to Asia, I generally end up on UNITED
(no problems at least there.) ALso hear
Cathay Pacific, Singapore and Japan are ok.

Never NORTHWEST.
Old Jul 8, 1998, 7:44 pm
Original Member

I guess it depends on where you are going to and where you are coming from. I personally hate to fly Delta, but have to based upon where I live. I much prefer Northwest (Preferred member) based upon where I used to live. I think Delta's seats are more cramped, their service is much worse (even compared to Northwest's cranky striking staff) and I've never made a connection out of Salt Lake City (what's with their scheduling?)
Old Jul 8, 1998, 9:41 pm
Original Member

Those of you who referred to flying to Asia - Check out the new non-stop service on Delta from ATL to NRT, and the 25,000 bonus miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.