Search

DL/KE Coshare Flights and No Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 1998, 3:13 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K
DL/KE Coshare Flights and No Upgrades

I think it is great that Delta has so many co-share partners, but not all co-share agreements are the same. An example is DL/KE co-share flights. You can fly from ATL to SEL or SEL to HNL on a DL flight number but on KE airplane. However, even though your ticket has a DL flight number you are not allowed to upgrade with SkyMiles. According to Delta, upgrades are not allowed by terms and conditions of their co-share agreement with Korean Air. If you wish to upgrade, you need to buy a ticket on the same flight but with a KE flight number and then use 50,000 SkyMiles for a Korean Airline Partner Award. You will still earn SkyMiles for your travel but they will not be base miles which qualify towards Elite status. This is another of those unwritten rules that Delta does not wish to publish in its 1998 Program Rules.
Old May 27, 1998, 10:46 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I didn't realize this. I thought that anything with a Delta flight number followed Delta upgrade rules. I always thought it would be tough to get an upgrade seats because the Delta seat block on codeshares is often very small, but I didn't realize it was prohibited.
Old May 29, 1998, 9:37 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K
Go ahead and call the SkyMile Customer Service Center and ask them if you can upgrade flight DL2631 HNL/SEL or DL 2636 SEL/ATL. In the past they have told me that upgrades were prohibited on KE flights by their co-share agreement. I ask if other partner airlines were effected and was told that Varig (no longer a partner) and I believe TAP also prohibited upgrades. I wonder if some of the new partner like Transbrazil or Jamacian is effected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.