Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upgrade on CO/Delta Codeshare for Cancelled flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors lackey

My Continental flight was cancelled last night and I was given a flight on Tuesday flying on CO express to ATL and then from ATL to SEA on Delta. I called Delta to get a seat assignment and asked that my mileage be charged to Delta, but the woman in reservations didn't think I could get upgraded since it was a seat purchased by CO. It's a long flight to Seattle and the plane is a 767. Has anyone had experience getting upgraded on a cancelled flight like this?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Modapa
My Continental flight was cancelled last night and I was given a flight on Tuesday flying on CO express to ATL and then from ATL to SEA on Delta. I called Delta to get a seat assignment and asked that my mileage be charged to Delta, but the woman in reservations didn't think I could get upgraded since it was a seat purchased by CO. It's a long flight to Seattle and the plane is a 767. Has anyone had experience getting upgraded on a cancelled flight like this?
Doesn't the ATL-SEA flight's E ticket show a fare class. If it has one of the normal upgradeable fares, why shouldn't you receive the upgrade after you enter your Medallion number into the record?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
It's been a few years but I have indeed been upgraded on Delta after a another airline put me on their metal. Not only that, you usually end up in Y class which helps your chances.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:45 pm

Since his first flight is on COEX, it probably a CO ticket and the delta flight is a codeshare. If that's the case, delta will only clear upgrades standby at the airport for medallions.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dspringer28
Since his first flight is on COEX, it probably a CO ticket and the delta flight is a codeshare. If that's the case, delta will only clear upgrades standby at the airport for medallions.
The OP is a Medallion but if it is under the CO code, I don't think it can be upgraded in any case, can it?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
The OP is a Medallion but if it is under the CO code, I don't think it can be upgraded in any case, can it?
The rule is no, but I have been in this situation twice and both times they upgraded me at the airport (but not before). I think a few others on FT have found the same thing. YMMV as I the book says no, some GA's are just nice ^
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers. From what I understand, the flights are pretty full, but I'm not looking forward to sitting in the center aisle, in a middle seat. It seems a shame that I flew so many miles on Delta and can't get an upgrade when it would be most appreciated, but I guess that's just life.

When I get to the airport in ATL, I will do my best to upgrade, but who knows? Even though my flight is showing my Delta PM status on Delta's website, it won't let me change it on the CO site. It's still showing my Continental OnePass number. I've tried to change it, but it won't let me. Maybe when I get to the airport to get my tickets (won't let me get my tickets online), I'll be able to change that. Even if I could, I wonder what will happen on my return flight, where I already have upgraded to first on the CO flight from SEA to CLE. I would hate to lose that First Class seat, which I think I received because of the price I paid for the fare in the first place. Incidentally, the fare class listed on CO's website for my flight to SEA is "Y". Will that make a difference?

Last edited by Modapa; Aug 15, 2005 at 11:01 pm
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:23 pm

the fare class listed on CO's website for my flight to SEA is "Y". Will that make a difference?
It can't hurt. :-:
Old Aug 16, 2005, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
When you arrive at the airport, I suggest that you go to the CRC and ask one of their agents to change the PNR and place your DL FF number into the record. In addition, at that time request that you be put on the airport upgrade list. This should work, and CRC agents are most accommodating in matters like this. ^
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
When you arrive at the airport, I suggest that you go to the CRC and ask one of their agents to change the PNR and place your DL FF number into the record. In addition, at that time request that you be put on the airport upgrade list. This should work, and CRC agents are most accommodating in matters like this. ^

The agent on the phone was able to put my DL FF number on the record and I can see it on the Delta website, but it still shows my CO FF # on Continental's website, so I don't know if it will work or not. But I'll also do as you suggested. Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:14 pm
J-M
Suspended

The agent on the phone was able to put my DL FF number on the record and I can see it on the Delta website, but it still shows my CO FF # on Continental's website, so I don't know if it will work or not. But I'll also do as you suggested. Thanks

What flight number are you ticketed for? If you're in Y class on a flight that has the code DLXXX, then you are entitled to the upgrade list as an Elite on a Delta ticket. Continental may well have just endorsed that part of your ticket over to Delta.

If the flight number is listed as COXXXX (operated by Delta), then you technically aren't entitled to an upgrade. However, since you are on a full Y and are a Delta Elite, you should ask at the gate. The GA's have a lot of discretion with upgrades as long as your fare class is acceptable.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Update

I went to the CO ticket counter this afternoon and they changed my flights over to a Delta code, Y class. I then walked down to the Delta counter and had them put me on the upgrade list (I was first on the list). They said that I shouldn't have any problem getting upgraded, but...........................

It's all a moot point now because,

My CO flight to Atlanta was delayed until 5:00 p.m. which would have caused me to miss my connection, so I had to be rescheduled to the CO direct flight from CLE to SEA at 8:30 tonight......so the best laid plans got messed up. This is the same flight I was supposed to be on Sunday night....go figure.

Hopefully, this time there will be a pilot and I'll actually get there, despite wasting an entire day at the airport....

The good news is that starting next Sunday, I'll be going back to CA and flying Delta from now on. I couldn't believe the delay in rebooking a flight on CO. Maybe they just don't have that many flights going to Seattle.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Update

Sorry, the connection I was using was very slow and I didn't realize it posted twice.

Last edited by Modapa; Aug 17, 2005 at 1:06 am Reason: duplicate of previous post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.