Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France Sucks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Speaking for myself, I did not intervene in this thread because — quite frankly, I don’t know how to say this without risking sounding corny or condescending, but — I am quite proud of the Delta forum FlyerTalk members. This thread, complete with its “off-color” title, started off on a questionable nature and could have easily degenerated into a volatile thread. Instead, it recovered very nicely into a thoughtful, civil discussion concerning the experiences — positive and negative — of Delta forum FlyerTalk members using Air France.

In other words, you as FlyerTalk members moderated this thread and did not need our intervention after all. To me, that speaks volumes.
From a member who has long espoused the position that the best moderation is the least moderation, let me congratulate the moderators for being so moderate in their moderation!
Old Mar 31, 2005, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by knit-in
I will admit that I haven't flown AF much-- three segments, and even less on Intl DL-- once, but have had nothing but positive to say for AF. DL on the other hand was a nightmare (JFK-CDG on 777).
Out of curiousity, were you in B/E or Y for this flight on a DL 777? Also, when did you take this trip?
Old Mar 31, 2005, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
Out of curiousity, were you in B/E or Y for this flight on a DL 777? Also, when did you take this trip?
It was certainly Coach in (I think since it's been a while) November of 2000.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by knit-in
It was certainly Coach in (I think since it's been a while) November of 2000.
It was probably the 2-5-2 seating configuration. If so, and if I was stuck somewhere in the middle of those 5 seats, I would have hated it also.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Canarsie
It is true — speaking French does go a long way
Hey, wait just a minute here.... .
If your statement is true, how come when I made the following request to an Air France FA, I was given a very cold shoulder in return??

¿Quisiera una botella de su vino rojo más fino, por favor??
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
If your statement is true, how come when I made the following request to an Air France FA, I was given a very cold shoulder in return??

Because you asked the request instead of requesting the request.

Quisiera una botella de su vino rojo más fino - por favor.

¿Qué coño te pasa, Cholula?
Old Apr 1, 2005, 5:12 am
Suspended

Travelnutz,

I think your last post also says a lot, after all, all that counts is if your business is making money ( and sticking to the laws one should add quickly )

Seeing AF being profitable right now and DL in dire straits, I would not use the terms you do.

But yes France has a social system that is halfway okay, not comparable to Germany or Scandinavia though and yes AF recieved more than $ 4 billion of government subsidies in the early 1990`s and yes unions have a lot of power there, but a communist country looks a little bit different I think...

================================================== ======

I have removed some comments that were related to a previous post that has been deleted by the moderators for a violation of the TOS.
Rssrsvp - Moderator

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Apr 1, 2005 at 5:59 am Reason: Removed comments pertaining to a deleted post that violated the TOS
Old Apr 1, 2005, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula

Um, because you made the request in SPANISH, not French?

That just reinforces the world's view of Americans as being ignorant, arrogant louts. Most Americans seem to think that, if someone doesn't speak English, they can either YELL AT THEM, or babble at them in whatever non-English language they happen to speak. Talk about insulting!
Old Apr 1, 2005, 2:20 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Originally Posted by jimrpa
...That just reinforces the world's view of Americans as being ignorant, arrogant louts. Most Americans seem to think that, if someone doesn't speak English, they can either YELL AT THEM, or babble at them in whatever non-English language they happen to speak. Talk about insulting!
Sort of correct, in France, the louder you yell, the meaner and nastier you are, the more you are respected. In most other countries this is not true. So, don't quite be so fast to jump on the original poster.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Um, because you made the request in SPANISH, not French?
Dude, Cholula was making a joke. Chill.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 2:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Dude, Cholula was making a joke. Chill.

At least someone can decipher my jokes around here......
Old Apr 1, 2005, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by JRF
Sort of correct, in France, the louder you yell, the meaner and nastier you are, the more you are respected. .
Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Yep

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
It was probably the 2-5-2 seating configuration. If so, and if I was stuck somewhere in the middle of those 5 seats, I would have hated it also.
It was the 2-5-2 config although I was on the aisle in the middle row. What I remembeer most was being knocked on the shoulder several times with the service cart, which bothered me most. And no apologies for the hurt. The IFE was good, which was missing in the AF flight CDG-DEL (A330?) Thankfully those were still the days of free scotch and drambuies on DL so a Rusty Nail kept me company, and rendered me unaware of any more crashes with erring carts.

Have they changed configuration since? I have a trip to DEL coming up in May.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by JRF
Sort of correct, in France, the louder you yell, the meaner and nastier you are, the more you are respected. In most other countries this is not true. So, don't quite be so fast to jump on the original poster.

I almost surely haven't spent as much time in France as a Flying Colonel, but the half dozen times I've actually stayed in France as well as the number of additional times I've transited through there, this absolutely, positively has not been my experience. The Europeans with whom I have the most experience -- the Brits, French, Italians, Spaniards -- seem NOT to respond to yelling or to nastiness, at least from my observation of other Americans trying that technique.

I think this post is the one that least comports with my personal experience since I've been reading FlyerTalk, and it's not surprising that a poster like JOUY would respond with an eyeroll, IMHO. I realize that others' experiences might be quite different.

Casimir

Last edited by Casimir; Apr 1, 2005 at 4:34 pm Reason: minor edits
Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by JRF
Another April Fool.

I see people doing that sometimes in CDG. It seems to get them a lot less than being calm and polite, but each to his or her own! Of course while the Parisian spars with the loud mouth American the rest of us can grab the last flight on the flight they are arguing over.

Remember. Paris isn't France.

Last edited by CelticFlyer; Apr 1, 2005 at 4:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.