FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Air France Sucks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/415672-air-france-sucks.html)

Jaxel79 Mar 28, 2005 4:22 pm

Air France Sucks

I booked a short flight between CDG and BHX for 2 weeks from now. i needed to change the departure date by about 10 hours to the following morning. Usually on Delta i get the ~$100 change fee and the differences in prices since i'm a Medallion. However, AF wouldn't make any changes to the ticket and told me it's worthless if i don't show up. I called Delta SMS hoping they could help and the Customer Service Rep got just as frustrated as i did. i had to purchase another ticket rather than miss the meeting. Just sucks.

MartinG Mar 28, 2005 6:26 pm

Euro fares

Air France hasn't yet seen there is competition out there and typically the ticket is pretty much useless once booked. Not like we are used to here - try one of the Low Cost Carriers such as http://www.flybe.com or http://www.easyjet.com they typically charge around $10 -15 to change a flight plus difference in Airfare. And send a message to Skyteam!

Flybe services BHS well too.

I was denied entry to Air France lounge this week as I haven't yet had my 2005 Medallion card delivered.

JRF Mar 28, 2005 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by MartinG
I was denied entry to Air France lounge this week as I haven't yet had my 2005 Medallion card delivered.

When I lived in Ireland my PM card would often not show up until April or May. AF used to give me the same problem. Simple solution, tell them you are going in anyway and they can call a DL rep to come straighten it out. Then turn on tunel vision and enter.

One time the agent started yelling at me and I walked back and put a bunch of change on the counter and told her to call the police, I will not be treated like a 3rd class citizen. When I came out an hour later the change was gone and so was she. AF is for sure the pits... oh do I miss the Alliance of Excellence....

milemaker Mar 28, 2005 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by JRF
When I lived in Ireland my PM card would often not show up until April or May. AF used to give me the same problem. Simple solution, tell them you are going in anyway and they can call a DL rep to come straighten it out. Then turn on tunel vision and enter.

One time the agent started yelling at me and I walked back and put a bunch of change on the counter and told her to call the police, I will not be treated like a 3rd class citizen. When I came out an hour later the change was gone and so was she. AF is for sure the pits... oh do I miss the Alliance of Excellence....

I refuse to fly on AirChance!!!! They are the biggest piece of garbage out there and they were the only one left for DL to "hook" up with. You know, DL is always 12 months later than everyone else on just about everything.

They had a decent Alliance before with SwissAir, Sabena, and another carrier I forget.

Sure AF is big, but their service truly sucks. I wouldnt make my worst enemy travel with those high browed, rude, smelly commies!!!

SFO voyageur Mar 28, 2005 8:52 pm

I don't dislike AF and I often take the non-stop SFO-CDG. They are known to be rigid, however. I have taken several domestic trips with them in France and when I show up at the airport earlier than expected because I finished my business, they refused to let me take an earlier flight than the one I booked, even when they have flights leaving every hour and they are half empty! (Elite status on SkyTeam partners means nothing to them.) This has happened to me so many times I don't even bother to try anymore. One just has to learn they operate under a different set a rules than we have, although I have heard Southwest is equally rigid about this issue here in the US.

canard Mar 28, 2005 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by milemaker
They had a decent Alliance before with SwissAir, Sabena, and another carrier I forget.

You would prefer them to be in an alliance with two now dead European carriers?

Sure AF is big, but their service truly sucks. I wouldnt make my worst enemy travel with those high browed, rude, smelly commies!!!
Classy! :rolleyes:

Cholula Mar 28, 2005 9:59 pm

I wish the folks who have posted in this thread would say what they REALLY thought about AF rather than sugarcoat their feelings......;).

DLH Mar 28, 2005 10:11 pm

Air France - always lost

My personal thoughts. They are rude: I was refused to be allowed to enter the AFLounge a few weeks ago in Europe, when spaeking to the person refusing the entrance and asking for her supervisor she told me thatshe is the supersion ... how effective to complain and get results.

Also I have to conect several time a year via CDG - every time my luggage gets lost. Just bad luck? Or bad service? I think the later.

Where is the savoir vivre?

vasantn Mar 28, 2005 10:15 pm

What does this thread have to do with DL?

bigbee Mar 28, 2005 10:19 pm

I had an AF ticket issued by DL for an CDG to Stuttgart flight last Friday. My meeting got cancelled, so I called DL to fly home from CDG instead and they re-issued that ticket and cancelled the Stuttgart ticket for full credit. I think the answer is to always make sure you have a DL issued ticket not an AF issued ticket.

They did try the "you can't use this lounge" bit until she noticed my ticket said Elite and I was holding my CR card. This was in the 2C biz lounge. The Delta person re-issuing my ticket told me that 2E would re-open for check-in soon and would have a bus area on the airside to take you to the flights while they knock down the old airside part that collapsed and rebuild. Hopefully the new louge was in an area not being knocked down and rebuilt.

DLH Mar 28, 2005 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
What does this thread have to do with DL?

AF = DL partner. You may buy DL int'l tix and get AF instead ....

pgalore Mar 28, 2005 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by DLH
Also I have to conect several time a year via CDG - every time my luggage gets lost. Just bad luck? Or bad service? I think the later.

So the answer is, travel light and don't check any bags? Glad I read this because I'm going through CDG next week on DL, then connecting to AF.

I didn't know AF was so awful, but I wasn't very impressed w/the DL platinum agents who booked my ticket either. I had to call twice to get someone who had a clue about how to use the platinum upgrade certificates, and the second agent didn't speak very good english, and booked me going to Nice instead of Lyon (which I didn't realize until looking at the reservation online), despite my saying exactly which flights I wanted and where I wanted to go multiple times.. At least I was able to use the upgrade certificates (which is more than other people seem to be able to do) and save the company I'm contracting with a little money.

I'm assuming AF does not upgrade from full fare coach?

pgalore Mar 28, 2005 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by bigbee
They did try the "you can't use this lounge" bit until she noticed my ticket said Elite and I was holding my CR card. This was in the 2C biz lounge.

Just curious, is the AF lounge even decent at all? It would be kind of funny if they put up so much fuss, and the lounge was nothing more than a room with a couple of armchairs...

JOUY31 Mar 29, 2005 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Jaxel79
I booked a short flight between CDG and BHX for 2 weeks from now. i needed to change the departure date by about 10 hours to the following morning. Usually on Delta i get the ~$100 change fee and the differences in prices since i'm a Medallion. However, AF wouldn't make any changes to the ticket and told me it's worthless if i don't show up. I called Delta SMS hoping they could help and the Customer Service Rep got just as frustrated as i did. i had to purchase another ticket rather than miss the meeting. Just sucks.

If you book a discounted coach ticket on major European airlines, such as BA or LH as well as AF, you CANNOT change flights. You can only do that on a full fare unrestricted ticket. I change my flights very often, but I use full fare Y (S, I can change flights, but not carriers) or restricted Business Class (D, I can change flights, not carriers), or full fare Business Class (C, I can change both flights and carriers). That is the way it is done in Europe on non LCC carriers.

JOUY31 Mar 29, 2005 12:17 am

Originally Posted by milemaker

Really uncalled for.