Wiki Posts
Search

Swearing and Yelling in CRC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
Obviously you haven't read your inflight magazine lately.
Actually, I stopped reading it when Leo's smarmy smiling face would greet me with every issue. Just seeing him increased my alcohol consumption. It was either give up Sky Magazine or get a liver transplant.
I chose the former......
Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
I've heard more insider information from some of these buffoons than I care to mention: sales figures, data, client names, lawyers talking to clients about cases, etc.
You should see what they leave behind on the airplanes...
Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
While I am not disagreeing with you, as I have accidently left my phone on and as I turn it off saw no service, the events of 9/11 seem to paint a different picture.
There were several cell calls from the hijacked planes. I know some of the planes were flying low, but the one that crashed in PA seemed to be at altitude before the famous "Let's Roll" call.

Those planes were all flying at comparatively low altitude - thus, their phones worked well enough to make a few calls. I've accidentally left mine on a few times too...I've never gotten a signal, and just wear out the battery in the process.

I don't know if it's a true hazard while inflight...have heard some anecdotes from pilots and other FA's that suggests there is potential for it. The FAA says that anything that may transmit a signal is prohibited - perhaps because older aircraft were more susceptible, perhaps because there is a slim chance that it could interfere with the cockpit, or perhaps because it hasn't been sufficiently studied. Not sure that I want to be in the aircraft that definitively finds out.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flymeaway
I don't know if it's a true hazard while inflight...have heard some anecdotes from pilots and other FA's that suggests there is potential for it. The FAA says that anything that may transmit a signal is prohibited - perhaps because older aircraft were more susceptible, perhaps because there is a slim chance that it could interfere with the cockpit, or perhaps because it hasn't been sufficiently studied. Not sure that I want to be in the aircraft that definitively finds out.
I'd rather say that newer models are more susceptible than older ones.
My cell, for instance, routinely interferes with my laptop and my car alarm.
I imagine using a cell will never cause a plane to crash, but could likely be a slight annoyance for the pilots and a much greater one for anybody sitting next to its owner.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:02 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Hey folks.. can we have some self moderation and get back to the topic at hand? In case you don't remember, it's "Swearing and Yelling in CRC" and says nothing about cell phones or air phones. Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cholula
Actually, I stopped reading it when Leo's smarmy smiling face would greet me with every issue. Just seeing him increased my alcohol consumption. It was either give up Sky Magazine or get a liver transplant.
I chose the former......
Well, Cholula, I am not sure you are aware that Leo Mullen actually left Delta with a pretty lucrative package and there is a new CEO in town. But even he doesn't write in the Sky Magazine very often.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Wink

Well, Cholula, I am not sure you are aware that Leo Mullen actually left Delta with a pretty lucrative package and there is a new CEO in town.

When did THAT happen??
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cholula
When did THAT happen??
Every heard of the search tool?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 7:47 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by BViPeR04
I saw in the news recently that there's some kind of box being tested in planes that will prevent cell phone signals from interfering with the planes instruments, thus enabling the use of cell phones inflight..they expect it to be mainstream in the next 3 or 4 years I think.. God help us all.....

There are cell phone jammers available now , although illegal in the US for now, are being widely used elsewhere. Hotels, theatres, dining establishments, etc. like to use them for obvious reasons.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 8:01 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Every heard of the search tool?
lol, you do realize that you are talking smack to a moderator ;-)
Old Oct 12, 2004, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
There are cell phone jammers available now , although illegal in the US for now, are being widely used elsewhere. Hotels, theatres, dining establishments, etc. like to use them for obvious reasons.
Pretty cool...

http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:41 am

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by USCGamecock
I suspect they may be used in the International arrival areas in the US? - Anybody knows?

I believe I was able to call from the baggage claim before customs in Atl, JFK and CVG, but on my last International flights have been unable to get a signal. As soon as I am past the security re-screening, I seem not to have any problems.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by ATLpax
I'm a Blackberry user - and I've heard (not that I'd know this from my own experience, mind you ) that if you leave your Blackberry on during flight that you can send and receive messages as you pass over decent-sized cities. Sometimes it shows "no signal" and sometimes it has several bars, and you usually only need one or two to send and receive.
I've "heard" similar reports. Okay, I'll admit it. When bored on long flights I've used my Blackberry to test this theory. It's pretty much dead on. When passing any decent-sized city I can pick up a signal strong enough to send & receive messages.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I've "heard" similar reports. Okay, I'll admit it. When bored on long flights I've used my Blackberry to test this theory. It's pretty much dead on. When passing any decent-sized city I can pick up a signal strong enough to send & receive messages.
But you better do it fast because you aren't going to be passing that city for long, unless you are flying BOS-Washington area, then you might keep it.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
lol, you do realize that you are talking smack to a moderator ;-)
I keep forgeting about that but, regardless, he is not a moderator here. I will try and give him more respect in the Travel Safety and Security forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.