Wiki Posts
Search

Swearing and Yelling in CRC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:01 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
Sometimes I have my phone in my bag, sometimes in my pocket. I also have left it on by mistake a few times and when I have noticed, I rarely notice a signal at all, let alone one good enough to keep and use effectively. Granted, I haven't ever tried to make the call but how well does it work, Cholula?
Honestly, I've never made a call from the plane but I do know folks who do so..or try to do so....from the lav. And I have heard my phone ring in my carry-on at cruise altitude but have never answered it.
Maybe DL should put cell-phone detectors in the lav next to the smoke detectors....
Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
I think that is a misunderstanding as if cell phone signals interfered with the navigation systems we all would have ended up in in some other city than what we were destined for as I will wager, that on any given full flight, at least a dozen cell phones remain "on" accidentially or otherwise!!

Rather, the problem appears to be interference with on-the-ground cells which are not designed to keep track of a fast moving phone at 30,000 feet, a problem that apparently is fixable as that is the basis for the trials of using cell phones in-flight.

I agree that heaven help us if that becomes legit as one can only with horror imagine people trying to yell on top of each other and the likely coming and going of signal strength.

However, if polls stand to reason, this is an enahncement "we" Asked For

You all know that it Will happen. The airlines will find som way to turn this into a revenue base by charging for the use of the repeater.

There will be no rest on any flight after this starts.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 6:39 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Cholula
The cellphone interfering with navigation BS has always been a smokescreen IMO. I've left my cell on accidentally on several occasions....I can even hear it ringing in my carry-on occasionally. And I know of several people who use the lav to make phone calls while in flight.
Next time Mr. Big is in the lav for what seems an unnatural amount of time, consider that he's probably closing a deal rather than answering nature's call.....
I doubt this... if you look at your cell phone which was left in the "on" position while at cruise altitude, it will invariably say "No Service". This is even true on the private jets that I have been on... has something to do with the phone seeing too many cells so it just blanks them all.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I doubt this... if you look at your cell phone which was left in the "on" position while at cruise altitude, it will invariably say "No Service". This is even true on the private jets that I have been on... has something to do with the phone seeing too many cells so it just blanks them all.
More likely at 30k+ feet & 350+ mph, it is seeing no cells at all...or seeing them for so brief a time it cannot get a lock.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by Marq
This isn't as bad a behaviour as I have seen. Once, at the A-17 club, somebody was taking his buddies up to the CRC two at a time as guests...coming down for more. I couldn't believe that the gatekeeper wasn't recognizing this. They were all waiting for a flight at A-18, just using the club for drinks.
Was this in July of 2002? I brought up a ton of my friends to A-17 CRC from gate A-18 on a Thursday night, as we all had connections in ATL on the way to MSY for my bachelor party.

The agents did recognize it and let me slide because of the occasion.

My apologies for offending you.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by BViPeR04
I saw in the news recently that there's some kind of box being tested in planes that will prevent cell phone signals from interfering with the planes instruments, thus enabling the use of cell phones inflight..they expect it to be mainstream in the next 3 or 4 years I think.. God help us all.....
"Sir, you are disturbing the other passengers. If you would like to continue using your cell phone, we kindly ask you to step outside."
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I have seen a signal at cruise altititude just not much of one. Seeing too many cells? Yes, the cell phone company has a billing problem with too many cells but the reason you don't get much of a signal is because you are at least 7 miles away from the nearest cell phone tower AND there is half of an airplane between your phone and that tower. And that half of an airplane is loaded with various objects that further attenuate the signal.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
I think that is a misunderstanding as if cell phone signals interfered with the navigation systems we all would have ended up in in some other city than what we were destined for as I will wager, that on any given full flight, at least a dozen cell phones remain "on" accidentially or otherwise!!

Rather, the problem appears to be interference with on-the-ground cells which are not designed to keep track of a fast moving phone at 30,000 feet, a problem that apparently is fixable as that is the basis for the trials of using cell phones in-flight.

I agree that heaven help us if that becomes legit as one can only with horror imagine people trying to yell on top of each other and the likely coming and going of signal strength.

However, if polls stand to reason, this is an enahncement "we" Asked For
My understanding has always been that the cellphone regulation originally had nothing to do with electrical interference... In fact, there was a study of 50,000 flights and they found that there was not a single instance of cell phones (or other personal electronics) causing any harm to any of the aircraft at any point. Apparently, the cellphone rule originally was not even an FAA regulation, but an FCC one because the phones hopping from tower to tower were causing problems for ppl with phones on the ground (this wass much more of a problem when jets were in a holding pattern around 300 mph / 10k feet than when cruising at 550 mph / 37k feet).

The other thing I heard about phones is that airlines are required to certify each individual type of technology (eg: a device operating at each of the frequencies commonly used) on every model of aircraft they operate before they are able to allow that device's usage on their flights. I have been told this certification can be a lengthy and expensive process.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Another reason, IMO, for the no cell phone policy was to retain revenue from the in-seat phones. back a few years ago when people actually used these phones, I'm sure DL picked up some incremental $$'s. But I haven't seen anyone use an in-seat phone in a few years. And I'm not sure if they are still operational.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cholula
Another reason, IMO, for the no cell phone policy was to retain revenue from the in-seat phones. back a few years ago when people actually used these phones, I'm sure DL picked up some incremental $$'s. But I haven't seen anyone use an in-seat phone in a few years. And I'm not sure if they are still operational.
Obviously you haven't read your inflight magazine lately. Not only are they operational, if you are a Verizon Wireless customer you can get rates and cheap as $.10 per minute and receive calls directed to your cell phone on the airphone. I think maybe the AT&T phones that are integrated with the IFE are indeed, dead.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by indufan
Obviously you haven't read your inflight magazine lately. Not only are they operational, if you are a Verizon Wireless customer you can get rates and cheap as $.10 per minute and receive calls directed to your cell phone on the airphone. I think maybe the AT&T phones that are integrated with the IFE are indeed, dead.
The AT&T phones went silent when AT&T got out of the skyphone business. Now they are just fossil relics of when ppl actually occassionally used in-flight phones. Ironically, the one time I ever had planned to use an in-flight phone, I was on a red-eye with the crappy AT&T phones - just after the service was dropped.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
While I am not disagreeing with you, as I have accidently left my phone on and as I turn it off saw no service, the events of 9/11 seem to paint a different picture.
There were several cell calls from the hijacked planes. I know some of the planes were flying low, but the one that crashed in PA seemed to be at altitude before the famous "Let's Roll" call.

Just a question, an off topic one at that.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, US GP
Moderate thread hijack:

Just exactly which position does my cell phone have to be in to be in the 'off position'? Is that horizontal? Vertical? Battery up or down? Same for my computer. I have yet to find a position it which I can place it which causes it to turn off.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:18 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I have never gotten service at cruise atltitude of ~30,000.

I routinely get service at low altitude. I often phone my parents on approach or departure to/from BOS to invite them to look out their window as my FL flight passes by. I even pulled off this stunt while seated beside an air marshall.

When I am flying myself, I always have my cell phone with me and always on. I nearly always have service while cruising up to ~6500 feet.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:36 pm

I'm a Blackberry user - and I've heard (not that I'd know this from my own experience, mind you ) that if you leave your Blackberry on during flight that you can send and receive messages as you pass over decent-sized cities. Sometimes it shows "no signal" and sometimes it has several bars, and you usually only need one or two to send and receive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.