Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta unlikely to cut SkyMiles....if files bankruptcy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta unlikely to cut SkyMiles....if files bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
Cholula, quit hoarding your miles
He was referring to YOU, indufan!!
I've burned 600,000 miles in the last twelve months. And barely have two million left.
So there....
Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:33 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Originally Posted by brendamc
I'm pretty worried about our infamous $3600 credit to be used by Nov. 28th - any ideas on whether that would be protected too if B/R occurs before then?
FWIW, my guess is that operations-derived liablilities would probably survive the initial filing.

By the way, one of the best guesses of a company's fate is its KMV score. The history for UAL is in a 2-page pdf at http://www.moodyskmv.com/research/UAL.html

On that graph, the blue line is the score; when it pegs out, the company, barring miracles, is toast. The red line is the cost of protecting a debt holding against bankrupcy, and is generally inverse to the stock price. Interesting how it rallied in the last couple months of UAL. Nice little rally lately in DAL...
Old Jun 28, 2004, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Originally Posted by Cholula
He was referring to YOU, indufan!!
I've burned 600,000 miles in the last twelve months. And barely have two million left.
So there....
Yeah...he's a reformed hoarder.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by Dovster
By eliminating SkyMiles, Delta would not only eliminate the costs (eg: free tickets, upgrades) but also the revenue it brings in. This includes both indirect revenue (people choosing to fly Delta to get miles) but direct revenue (partners buying SkyMiles to give to customers).

I have often thought that if Delta were to cease operations it would be an extremely wise move by another airline to pay Delta for the list of SkyMiles members, including their status and SkyMiles balance, and then to give those passengers equal standing (and equal miles).

This company would be seen as a savior by SkyMiles members and immediately get an extremely loyal group of frequent flyers.
That's exactly how DL got my business. I am DEN based and UA was my option when Pan Am was going to go belly up. Initially I had no interest in DL, especially since I did not think I could make it to Medallion (no GM or PM existed at the time if my memory serves me well). But then DL did 2 extraordinary things that hooked me: 1) Allowed to redeem miles for 1 year using PA rules (that meant 2 FC seats to Europe for 80k miles and 2 stopovers allowed.... wow those were the good old days). Then they sent me an upgrade coupon that could be redeemed on any flight at any price!!! (That's long gone too and that makes me think I will go to another airline some day, just have to live through 1 year of not being the ultimate elite)
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Cholula, quit hoarding your miles and give some to Dovster.
Originally Posted by The SkyMile-Pinching Hoarder
Do you realize that for a mere 280,000 SkyMiles you can buy me a F/C ticket around the world? By a major coincidence, I have always wanted to go there.

This would be worth the cost just to see how they would deal with the following proviso: "Travel via any combination of SkyTeam partners in a continuous eastbound or westbound direction."

No SkyTeam partner flies from TLV to any point east of it.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by The SkyMile-Pinching Hoarder:
This " The SkyMile-Pinching Hoarder " sounds like an obvious troll and should, IMO, be banned from this forum.
Sounds harsh, I admit, but some of these folks have to be nipped in the bud before they can create any more havoc.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 1:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Sounds harsh, I admit, but some of these folks have to be nipped in the bud before they can create any more havoc.
Forget it! I am not nipping him in his bud no matter how many round the world trips he offers me!
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
This " The SkyMile-Pinching Hoarder " sounds like an obvious troll and should, IMO, be banned from this forum.
Don't be so quick to judgement. Welcome to FT SPH.

I just can't help to think of Barney Fife talking about "we got to nip this in the bud. Nip it in the bud."
Old Jun 29, 2004, 2:18 pm

This would be worth the cost just to see how they would deal with the following proviso: "Travel via any combination of SkyTeam partners in a continuous eastbound or westbound direction."

easy-- "continuous" doesn't count connections, so you could connect at FRA and head East.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martin33
easy-- "continuous" doesn't count connections, so you could connect at FRA and head East.
and which Skyteam airline flies TLV-FRA?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 5:06 pm

Exclamation Cholula for President!!!

DL and most of the other major airlines started going down the crapper in 2001 for a variety of reasons.
I've always thought that if one of the majors had REALLY improved their FF program after 9/11 so it was head and shoulders over the rest, that they could have capitalized on the poor state of affairs. And snarfed a ton of FF's to their program.
But no. It was monkey see, monkey do with the majors trying to see who could cut bennies and programs faster than the other guy. An astute marketer would have seen the trials and tribulations post 9/11 as an opportunity and not a problem. And would have used everybody else's panic to bolster their FF roster.
No one clearly stepped up to the plate with a superior FF program so today you have the majors in a death spiral and the LCC's growing. The majors, who always had an advantage over the LCC's with their superior service, comfort and FF programs, lost that advantage. So today everybody is now competing on price.
And guess who the big losers are??
My two cents worth...other's opinions will certainly vary.
@:-) This has got to be the most prolific statement I have ever read in this website. I never really looked at it like that before. You may have changed my whole outlook on life! @:-)
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by graraps
and which Skyteam airline flies TLV-FRA?
oops, FRA was for Star. How about CDG, terminal structures permitting....
Old Jun 30, 2004, 1:49 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Talking SU to the rescue!!

Just wait until Aeroflot joins!

Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by findmeinfirst
@:-) This has got to be the most prolific statement I have ever read in this website. I never really looked at it like that before. You may have changed my whole outlook on life! @:-)
Don't be giving him the big head now. Besides, it would look strange on that 4 foot something body.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:36 am

Don't be giving him the big head now. Besides, it would look strange on that 4 foot something body.
findmeinfirst.....pls disregard the comments from the riff-raff and rubble in this forum. You are obviously a person of high intellect as you were correctly able to discern who makes the intelligent posts in this forum.
I've been trying to convince the others in this forum for years that I'm not just another pretty face. That if they want THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER to any lofty question in this forum that they need look no further than yours truly.
But do they listen?? No. They just post back and forth on mundane topics, fling insults right and left, go off topic on a regular basis and, generally, just cause chaos and havoc in this forum.
I'm glad we've found each other, findmeinfirst. True intellect needs stimulation and I've been starved for a little stimulation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.