Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crown Room at MCO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2009, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
In fact, I have some beef with the negativity of some of the SC agents in ATL recently...I know they shift often, but the E morning agents and the A and B agents (especially the lady with the short grey hair) are some of the worst in the system IMO.
Probably because you are a grouch ;-)
Old Jul 26, 2009, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Probably because you are a grouch ;-)
That's me...a big grouch! haha, the bartenders know that WBurcham is a much bigger tipper than me anyway!!

Seriously though, I have lots of SC friends in ATL, but most of the agents (with the exception of a select few) are quite negative. I think the attitude of "we've seen it all" and "don't try to put anything past us" should be set aside if they want people to pay for membership to these lounges. It seems like outstation lounge folks have a far better disposition than ATL agents (understandably, based on traffic), but they should treat each person as a new customer that they want to hold and KEEP...which requires at least a genuine smile.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta Air Lines
Originally Posted by pdsuk
PS - all the best with your new LGW to JFK service
There is no LGW-JFK service on DL or NW metal.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by N301DQ
There is no LGW-JFK service on DL or NW metal.
There was 3 years ago....
Old Jul 26, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta Air Lines
Originally Posted by WBurcham
There was 3 years ago....
Oh, dang!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Stefferdoos
I don't know about this. I feel like its tacky to cash tip someone that isn't in a job that traditionally gets tips (bartender, server, hairdresser, driver, bellhop...).

Last edited by Brewfangrb; Jul 27, 2009 at 1:01 am Reason: nevermind...<facepalm>
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by gj83
to the person who mentioned tipping at weddings...If I caught you tipping at the wedding and you starting getting preferential service I would not like that too much. It's not fair to everyone else who would have tipped a bartender anywhere else, but knew not to be tacky. I would probably have a stern talking-to with the caterer about giving preferential treatment. My family always has open bar, no tipping. My friends always have cash bar. I never needed to get a drink from a cash bar so I don't know if there was tipping or not, but long story short tipping at a wedding reception where tipping it not encouraged is just flat out rude to all the other people at the wedding.
Well, I guess this seems obvious---if it's a cash bar, then tipping should be done just like at any other bar. I can see what you are saying about an open bar, but frankly, if it's an OPEN bar, I would still tip (and I guess, have to live my life without you liking me). Why? Because I highly doubt the bartenders are getting paid any differently for an open bar than a cash bar.

I will note this: When my sister and brother-in-law were married, they reception was in his parents' backyard. They hired a good-looking girl that bartended at a local supper club, overpaid her and strongly discouraged tipping. I knew what she was getting paid, so I didn't tip.

Otherwise, as long as the bartender deserves it, I always tip, unless it's made known to me that he/she is being compensated in a way that doesn't require tipping.

Last edited by Brewfangrb; Jul 27, 2009 at 1:02 am Reason: I do speak and write English
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Juanefny
If they feel they get paid too little, then they should find another job. I don't think that I should be subsidizing a low salary.

I pay for service by paying a fee to the club - that should be enough to pay the salaries that the bartenders accepted when taking those jobs.
So, do you tip at a "regular" bar or supper club? If so, why? After all, those bartenders should just find another job, right? I mean, why bother tipping anyone? They're the morons that took the job. Goodness.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:56 am

As has already been stated, every time you go into a CRC/WorldClub (or Sky Club) and they swipe your Amex, Amex ends up paying the lounge some fee for your access. Of course it's usually heavily discounted/negotiated and not what a day pass would cost, but the lounge is getting money for your entrance that Amex is paying on your behalf.
None of which has anything to do with the bartender. You're saying because AMEX pays a per-swipe fee to the lounge, a potential applicant for a bartending position should know this and either a) decline to take the job because the pay is too low or b) demand a higher salary, noting the revenue stream the lounge is receiving?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:32 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Brewfangrb
Well, I guess this seems obvious---if it's a cash bar, then tipping should be done just like at any other bar. I can see what you are saying about an open bar, but frankly, if it's an OPEN bar, I would still tip (and I guess, have to live my life without you liking me). Why? Because I highly doubt the bartenders are getting paid any differently for an open bar than a cash bar.

I will note this: When my sister and brother-in-law were married, they reception was in his parents' backyard. They hired a good-looking girl that bartended at a local supper club, overpaid her and strongly discouraged tipping. I knew what she was getting paid, so I didn't tip.

Otherwise, as long as the bartender deserves it, I always tip, unless it's made known to me that he/she is being compensated in a way that doesn't require tipping.
I normally strongly promote tipping, but I know the bartender at my wedding made $150 for a 4 hour wedding. In fact I had 2 of them and I made sure they didn't put out any tip jars or anything of the sort. On top of that salary there was also a automatic 18% service charge on on alcohol and food that was split among all the service staff. The bartenders made plenty.

So just know at catering facilities bartenders always get paid more than one that works at a restaurant and I bet more than one that works in a CRC.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by avidflyer
+1.

I often tip myself for making my own drink and then refuse to take the tip from myself. On occasion I have become irate at myself for tipping (I am a professional after all and do not need a hand out) and other times I can be very upset that I got the goose egg (how dare I not acknowledge the fantastic service I gave myself!). This can go on for several minutes at a time and I usually have the entire bar area to myself when it does...DAMN the voices in my head...DAMN them!!

^^^^One of the best posts I have ever come across.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.