Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sked Change...now JFK instead of ATL for TATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond

Should I ask to be re-routed through ATL (even if it presents a 5:40 layover?) or stick with a SBN-DTW-JFK-MAD routing instead of SBN-ATL-MAD. (Our original connection was a 1-stop through ATL)

I'm not terribly opposed to a longer layover, we're SC members (with a 2 year old), and 5:40 is long enough to get him to nap somewhere at least.

I've never transited JFK for any reason. It's always been EWR in the CO days, or DTW for TATL, and I've not heard good things, let alone about a NW-DL xfer.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
I would personally opt for the ATL option with one less connection. JFK can be more of a hassle in connecting than ATL IMO.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, IC Royal Amb, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
I would personally opt for the ATL option with one less connection. JFK can be more of a hassle in connecting than ATL IMO.
+1. Personally, I avoid JFK for TATL at all costs now, even if it means not being able to use PMUs. The most disheartening thing is leaving the gate and having the pilot come on the intercom saying, "Folks, we're number 238 for departure. We hope to be off the ground in about 3 hours. Please keep your seat belts fastened." Okay, I'm exaggerating, but not by much.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: DL FO; > 6'8" FF club
Yeah ATL ftw..EWR on CO is much better than DL @ JFK.. I would try my hardest never to connect through JFK.. Although that is the one place Elite Bag tags have worked for me..And the Sky clubs...I would almost prefer being out with the masses- crowded, no food around dinner, and I had to wait in line to get half a drink..
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Definitely go through ATL

A long layover with the relative comfort of all the SkyClubs at ATL sounds a lot better than trekking through an extra airport, especially when that airport is JFK. Would it even save you much time to go through DTW and JFK?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Going through JFK shows a 2 hour earlier arrival, and a 777, but it's filling up (Y) anyway, so that benefit is negligible.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Sounds like a long trip either way. The connections at JFK look comfortable enough timewise, but the ATL itinerary is just about foolproof with its very long layover.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:57 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by mlsrar
Should I ask to be re-routed through ATL (even if it presents a 5:40 layover?) or stick with a SBN-DTW-JFK-MAD routing instead of SBN-ATL-MAD. (Our original connection was a 1-stop through ATL)

I'm not terribly opposed to a longer layover, we're SC members (with a 2 year old), and 5:40 is long enough to get him to nap somewhere at least.

I've never transited JFK for any reason. It's always been EWR in the CO days, or DTW for TATL, and I've not heard good things, let alone about a NW-DL xfer.

Thoughts?
Can you get a re-route via ATL that doesn't involve a 5:40 layover?

Also look at SBN-DTW-AMS-MAD -- while it is two connections, if you could find a schedule with reasonable connection times, I wouldn't rule it out vs almost 6 hours in ATL.

I don't know what the latest with CVG-AMS is, but if CVG-AMS is still running SBN-CVG-AMS-MAD could be another alternative. You can also replace CDG with AMS, but AMS transfers are so much easier than CDG.

Prior to the NW/DL tie-up, SDF-DTW-AMS-BCN was my typical routing for Barcelona.

If you want the one stop and don't mind the long connection, then ATL is your best bet.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:46 am

Programs: DL DM
No brainer. ATL. Esp with the 2 year old. 5 hrs 40 isn't that bad, and certainly much better than running through JFK with a 2 year old trying to catch your flight to Spain because your inbound was late. You have the club membership. I'd rather be there for a few hours than have to worry about two connections and my luggage.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:23 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I don't know what the latest with CVG-AMS is, but if CVG-AMS is still running
Only Int'l CVG right now is CDG - AMS is still scheduled for seasonal - no more FCO, LGW, FRA

I'd take ATL over JFK anyday even with a long layover - JFK is on my avoid if at all possible list.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:58 am

I can't imagine that the longer layover in ATL will be that much longer than the extra flight to get to JFK. Plus, since you are SC members, the E lounge (former BizElite) is quite nice and has pretty good food (as far as US lounges go). Plus, there's nothing worse than pulling back at JFK and having to wait 2 hours to take off (yes, it happened to me last time).
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:27 am
Original Poster

SMS accommodated us without a problem. This has been an itinerary laden with schedule changes, but with 3 weeks to go, I'm glad to have something concrete.

I've been in the E-SC (Former Biz-E), and don't mind hanging out in the SC for an hour or 2, but I know that I've garnered looks with our younger son in clubs before, so I don't want to disrupt the sanctity.

Either way, we all enjoy airports, and are more than happy to fill the time, and not risk losing bags on the extra connection.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Originally Posted by mlsrar
I've been in the E-SC (Former Biz-E), and don't mind hanging out in the SC for an hour or 2, but I know that I've garnered looks with our younger son in clubs before, so I don't want to disrupt the sanctity.
A couple of pointers from someone who had to fly with toddlers for quite a few years:
- Use your SC privilege wisely: Ignore the looks if your son is quite and respect others when he becomes restless.
- I recomend you wear her/him out at Atlanta, keep them busy playing games during the layover. You want them to take the nap on the airplane.

Happy Travels
DLP
Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLPhoenix
A couple of pointers from someone who had to fly with toddlers for quite a few years:
- Use your SC privilege wisely: Ignore the looks if your son is quite and respect others when he becomes restless.
- I recomend you wear her/him out at Atlanta, keep them busy playing games during the layover. You want them to take the nap on the airplane.

Happy Travels
DLP
Thanks for the info. If he's ever loud or disruptive, our first move is out the door into the terminal. More often than not, the quietness puts him to sleep, so he crashes out in a chair. I usually ask if there are no conference rooms booked if we can politely use them so we're out of the way if we have toys, etc.

He's well-traveled, but a layover is a layover. PDX is so wonderful with their family area, as is SLC. I'll have to see if ATL has one.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:32 pm

+1 for ATL.
Cleaner airport, better amenities and food courts, better SCs (particularly the SCs in the E concourse). The E SC can have some nice food offerings from time to tme. As for food courts, I prefer the food court in E to the other food courts at the other concourses, YMMV.
Riding the underground tram w/ a 2 yr old from T to E (T/A/B/C/D/E; the DL concourses) can kill some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.