Asia travel for the future: DL or UA?

Old Sep 24, 09, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA GM
Asia travel for the future: DL or UA?

Question is at the end!

I am plat on Dl and general member on UA, with about 700,000k on DL and 125,000k on UA. I have benefited greatly over the past several years from relatively affordable M-class fares on DL to China which I upgraded to BC, which is why I remained loyal to DL. Most of my routes were to PVG, and with the recent elimination of the ATL-PVG route, the flights are full, the M-fares are ~ $4,000 (used to be ~ $2,100), and the BC award tickets non-existent. DL is now cutting back the DTW-PVG to 5 days/wk, which foreshadows only more restrictions and higher prices. To add insult, the award tickets that are available are routinely categorized as "high". Compare that to UA which still maintains daily non-stop service to PVG, has good availability of BC award seats at 125k miles (especially within 1 month of travel), and has upgradeable M fares ~ $2,500 (in the past, these fares were typically ~ $500 more then the DL fares).

My question: if my travel is primarily to Asia, with the intent on upgrading or getting award business seats, should I consider switching my business to UA, or do you think UA will migrate in the same direction?
Old Sep 24, 09, 8:12 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by notbeenthere View Post
Question is at the end!

I am plat on Dl and general member on UA, with about 700,000k on DL and 125,000k on UA. I have benefited greatly over the past several years from relatively affordable M-class fares on DL to China which I upgraded to BC, which is why I remained loyal to DL. Most of my routes were to PVG, and with the recent elimination of the ATL-PVG route, the flights are full, the M-fares are ~ $4,000 (used to be ~ $2,100), and the BC award tickets non-existent. DL is now cutting back the DTW-PVG to 5 days/wk, which foreshadows only more restrictions and higher prices. To add insult, the award tickets that are available are routinely categorized as "high". Compare that to UA which still maintains daily non-stop service to PVG, has good availability of BC award seats at 125k miles (especially within 1 month of travel), and has upgradeable M fares ~ $2,500 (in the past, these fares were typically ~ $500 more then the DL fares).

My question: if my travel is primarily to Asia, with the intent on upgrading or getting award business seats, should I consider switching my business to UA, or do you think UA will migrate in the same direction?
CO has EWR - PVG too. i think u will have more options on *A.
Old Sep 24, 09, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
CO has EWR - PVG too. i think u will have more options on *A.
As does AC from YYZ with a superior product to DL/NW

I agree, you will have heaps of new options on *A, just get a status match on UA or CO
Old Sep 24, 09, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG PL
We are in the same boat here. PE with NW and 2P with UA. Most of my trips are to PVG, PEK, HKG and TPE. Just booked the remaining two trips for this year with UA in H fare with upgrades cleared. The H fare cost me about 2100 USD each, this is much cheaper than the M fare I am seeing on NW and DL's website.

For next year, I will be PE with DL. With the carry-over miles to 2010, I should make PE again easily for 2011. I will book everything else with UA and may hit 1K with a double EQM promotion offer.
Old Sep 24, 09, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
Question is at the end!

Did you not answer your own questions yourself here? Of course, go UA! How difficult is that?
Old Sep 25, 09, 7:12 am

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
I have a similar problem and I am trying to decide what to do myself.

You can get less expensive M fares on DL by going through NRT, but that adds considerable time to the trip. My last trip in August was CVG-MSP-NRT-HKG. Total was about $2400.00 in M. Used PMU's to upgrade for the the whole trip (except for the CRJ's to & from MSP)

Leaving in a couple of weeks for HKG and will be taking CO (CVG-EWR-HKG) in Y. I am already silver on CO, and with the double EQM promo, will be gold after the next trip. I snagged exit row both ways and with the superior AVOD on CO, it is not a bad 16 hour flt from EWR to HKG.

I already have a little over 100,000 on DL for this year, so I was torn on whether I should go for DM on DL. But I will have at least one more trip to Asia this year, and if I want to go for DM, I will still have several more Int'l and domestic trips to decide. But I thought having elite status on two alliances might be the best way to go for now.

BTW- If I want to upgrade my CO trip, my E fare in Y was $900.00 + $1000.00 co pay + 50,000 miles. If I wanted to buy M on DL, it would have been $2450.00 + PMU's ( plus an additional 5 hours travel time time)
Old Sep 25, 09, 7:35 am

Question is at the end!

I would switch to UA, especially with CO coming on board, but monitor DL's YBM fares. CO now does PVG/PEK and HKG non-stop from EWR, which when combined with UA, gives you a ton of non-stop options. Keep an eye on DL's upgradable fares, as these things tend to ebb back and forth.

My major issue with DL to China now is that if stuck in Y you will often be trapped on a decrepit 747 with no AVOD through NRT, while you can go non-stop on CO or others on much nicer equipment.
Old Sep 25, 09, 7:45 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, Starwood Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum
You should also remember that UA has E+ seating when you are in coach. CO currently and UA is implementing a co-pay so you may find a lower fare + copay better than "M" fare to upgrade with miles. You also only pay the copay if upgrade clears while with DL you pay for "M" fare and need to have space in upgrade class.

If you do make 1K with UA will get a few free rides in BC with their much better SWU options.
Old Sep 25, 09, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Great advice all the way around here. Thanks for sharing. Just sent my credentials to UA for a status match. ^
Old Sep 25, 09, 8:28 am
k2

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by GuyverII View Post
Great advice all the way around here. Thanks for sharing. Just sent my credentials to UA for a status match. ^
Where did you send your stuff to @ UA?
Old Sep 25, 09, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by k2 View Post
Where did you send your stuff to @ UA?
Status match info is in the first post.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...er-thread.html
Old Sep 25, 09, 9:29 am
k2

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by AndyTLe View Post
Status match info is in the first post.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...er-thread.html
thanks
Old Sep 25, 09, 1:17 pm

UA allows free stopover in Japan even for the lowest fare. DL/NW only allows so for high fares.
Old Sep 25, 09, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jing_canada View Post
UA allows free stopover in Japan even for the lowest fare. DL/NW only allows so for high fares.
For example, DL allows stopovers DTW-PEK on an L fare. When the fare scale is K, V, L, Q, T, H, M, B, Y, this L is hardly a high fare. UA's T and S fares in this market do not permit stopovers.

Not everyone thinks UA is the best choice. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-exps-aa.html
Old Sep 25, 09, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA GM
Thanks for all the insightful advice.

When considering a request for status match at UA or CO, is there an advantage in having one over the other?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: