Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

BUMP [Bring Us More Passengers] Program (Allowing Pax to Endorse Tix to NW)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BUMP [Bring Us More Passengers] Program (Allowing Pax to Endorse Tix to NW)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:58 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by dmitzel
I guess that means - with a home station of FNT - that I will only be able to take advantage of NW's BUMP program when flying on CO or DL (and perhaps YX) tickets.
Can anyone confirm this? BUMP would be an attractive option if my corp TA stuck me on AA or UA, and I could bump to NW to use my DL SM number. If BUMP is only for SkyTeam partners, then it looses some allure.

This is a great thread, BTW. Thanks. ^
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:32 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by sammy0623
did you both have e-tickets??
I did.

RobtheAggie, I do think I had my DL ticket number for the NW ticket counter, and they still said they couldn't do it without endorsement. Someone there needs to learn this program...
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Another FT Find Saves The Day

The BUMP program worked great for me last week in PHX. I had my CO ticket number and it took a supervisor to get it right, but they printed the flight coupons then attached NW boarding passes to get me home for 100% EQM for V fare (and no 700 mile leg on RJ). I was shown as Y fare on NW so it also moved me up the UG list. Many thanks to Sups Ed and Ron in PHX

Originally Posted by holtju2
This program should work very easily with the paper tickets but for most part they are going away anyway. For eticket the issuing airline (not necessarily the one who actually operates the flight) has to release/push the eticket to other airline and it might be a challenge unless there are irops.
They tried doing it first using just the ticket number on my CO ITIN but then had to print out the coupons. I guess it was cool since another ST partner, but based on the other post about Rule 120 then you may have a problem getting your original airline printing out their ticket for you?

Last edited by spartacus; Apr 3, 2008 at 2:53 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by spartacus
The BUMP program worked great for me last week in PHX. I had my CO ticket number and it took a supervisor to get it right, but they printed the flight coupons then attached NW boarding passes to get me home for 100% EQM (and no 700 mile leg on RJ). I was shown as Y fare on NW so it also moved me up the UG list. Many thanks to Sups Ed and Ron in PHX
I didn't read this thread until today. I flew CO from PHX last week. Earned 150% EQM on my fare, though, so I guess I was better staying where I was.

Come to think of it, though, I wouldn't have gotten home on NW -- flights were oversold and they ended up IDB-ing a passenger on the RJ CLE-MSN because the only route they could do was the next day (NW CLE-DTW and DTW-MSN was oversold).
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Originally Posted by LGA
I did.

RobtheAggie, I do think I had my DL ticket number for the NW ticket counter, and they still said they couldn't do it without endorsement. Someone there needs to learn this program...
That is odd. Did you have enough segments on DL to equal what was needed on NW? That might have been the kicker.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I didn't read this thread until today. I flew CO from PHX last week. Earned 150% EQM on my fare, though, so I guess I was better staying where I was.

Come to think of it, though, I wouldn't have gotten home on NW -- flights were oversold and they ended up IDB-ing a passenger on the RJ CLE-MSN because the only route they could do was the next day (NW CLE-DTW and DTW-MSN was oversold).
Only reason I did this was because of CO policy of 50% EQM on VLTQ fares. And yes, PHX flights have been overbooked by 2-4 seats so if it is not broke, don't fix it. I had a meeting canx so no need to get home. So another full day with gf was quite the bonus to top it off.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Were you already checked in for the CO flight? They can only take control if you have not checked in or begun travel.
I was not checked in, they didn't want to be bothered with it, they did pull it up but refused to read what the screens said to do, instead they called someone who wanted to change the ticket and do an add-collect
Old Apr 3, 2008, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by LGA
In January, I had NW take over the outbound of a CO record. No problem on the return.
LGA, did they do anything special? Did you then fly home on CO? Did you have to put the 'arunk' into the record with CO?

Anyone else tried the outbound with this? I have another CO next weekend on V fare (why is NW filling planes to PHX and CO not?) but not wanting to risk screwing it up by trying on the outbound unless some recent history to back it up.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 1:05 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by socrates
I was not checked in, they didn't want to be bothered with it, they did pull it up but refused to read what the screens said to do, instead they called someone who wanted to change the ticket and do an add-collect
It's one of those things where timing and genuine personality come into play. I can see a busy TA not wanting to take the time to learn or complete the program. It's not a sure bet, but when it works it is might nice.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
It's one of those things where timing and genuine personality come into play. I can see a busy TA not wanting to take the time to learn or complete the program. It's not a sure bet, but when it works it is might nice.
oh I agree completely and was honestly very charming..he tried to help, called the help desk though instead of reading the screen...I didn't want to push too hard perhaps I would have gotten it if I did though
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Well I had determined I was going to try the B.U.M.P. program yesterday with a CO flight originating out of Colorado Springs, but it wound up being the day when AA cancelled all of those flights so the NW flights I was looking at were zeroed out across the board....so I didn't even bother (would have meant an early trip to the airport).

I will keep the rules handy and maybe try again another day!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Watchful
Well I had determined I was going to try the B.U.M.P. program yesterday with a CO flight originating out of Colorado Springs, but it wound up being the day when AA cancelled all of those flights so the NW flights I was looking at were zeroed out across the board....so I didn't even bother (would have meant an early trip to the airport).

I will keep the rules handy and maybe try again another day!
I had to buy another T fare on CO even though NW had lots of seats...grr...so today I have a meeting cancel and think I'll standby early and this AA fiasco hits. Oh, I could have flown to IAH with an upgrade but then all of the AA people are being corralled in Houston from DFW to get them out. I looked at NW and still decent availability but it's my outbound. I called and tried to get the 'arunk' put in but RA was VERY adament that if I didn't fly out today on CO my ticket would be cancelled. But avail back from PHX Tuesday is very wide open so I will repeat my exercise of two weeks ago.

I would rather NW be competetive with the fare than have to do this, but since I know the folks in PHX can do it I'll keep salvaging full miles for at least half of the ITIN.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: NWA, Delta, SPA, Capital One
On Tuesday I used the bump program to replace my ticket on UA. My UA ticket was from Msp ORD IND. I got on a NW direct. But this is what happened. I went to the TA and he told me he needed the ticket # to make the change so I asked for UA's phone number and called their 800# to get my ticket number, then I went back to the TA, he looked at the ticket and said, oh this is an awful cheap ticket...less than $100. He said he could put me on stand by for $25. I mentioned that with the program I didnt think there was a charge but he insisted since my ticket would be a direct, rather than going through ORD that he would have to charge me....Well I agreed to pay the $25 since it was worth getting in 4 hrs earlier. He then gave me a assigned seat in bulk head rather than the stand-by. He booked it as Y fare. I was happy since the round trip price is still so much less than what I would have paid through NW. The TA did make the direct statement to me that "The purpose of the BUMP program is not to find the cheapest ticket somewhere else and then use the BUMP program to get on NW."
Sat. I return home to MSP and will try it again on my other one way ticket from IND.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 3:15 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by spartacus
I called and tried to get the 'arunk' put in but RA was VERY adament that if I didn't fly out today on CO my ticket would be cancelled.
Do not call the airline. What you do is on arrival in your destination, you show your NW boarding pass to a CO gate agent. Explain that you were accomodated on NWA and request that they place the ARUNK remark in your PNR.

An even easier method is to only buy one-way tickets
Old Apr 15, 2008, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
is there any difficulty in using the BUMP program to get on a direct flight? I see the alternative NW flights that I want are actually a single flight number DCA-(MSP)-PDX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.