Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

BUMP [Bring Us More Passengers] Program (Allowing Pax to Endorse Tix to NW)

Old Jan 29, 07, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, LT SkyClub, AGR, passport

Had an associate I gave the code to for the agent to enter into the computer for the bump program. Agent informed them that the program has changed and it needs to be a partner airline. Does this make sense? I would think NWA would want to get customers from non-partner airlines, I am sure it is easier to get the tickets endorsed by partner airlines. Anyone know the facts on this. I am flying tomorrow, so I am going to try to get an agent to print out the rules on this program (just for future reference, since I am flying all NW the next three trips.)

I have only used it once, changed from Midwest Airlines to Northwest on a return portion of a trip. GA had no knowledge of the program, but was able to read about it and make the changes for me.
Old Jan 29, 07, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Could you perhaps supply us with the text of the rule? There was a thread earlier indicating that there was indeed a change to the bump program, but no one was able to find the actual rule itself.
Old Jan 30, 07, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
FWIW, I asked after getting off a flight on Jan 20th when I was at CMH at the check-in counter if I could BUMP a flight on Monday night that I had on US onto NWA.

I gave the ladies at the desk the "G ATO BUMP" code and they couldn't pull up anything and said they had never heard of it. They also said they couldn't access anything on HP's system anymore.

So I dunno.
Old Jan 30, 07, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
I asked the (HA) ground staff at KOA about BUMP when I had a paper-ticketed UA segment KOA-ORD (connecting to EI ORD-DUB-EDI) last week. Wasn't terribly surprised that they'd never heard of it. The friendly NW ground staff in HNL seem to know about it, though.

(Note to self: fly via HNL if possible instead of via KOA.)
Old Mar 3, 07, 4:25 am

Programs: OneWorld Emeralds, Star Gold, SkyTeam Silver, Southwest A-List, VIP Car Renter, Hotel Elite
Talking Bump Success!!!!

Recently, I departed LAS for a 1-way flight to the east coast. The flight was booked in CO L class which is 50% EQMs so I went to the NWA counter to inquire about the BUMP program. I referenced the "G ATO BUMP" program and they were able to pull up some information online. Against trekwars2000 advice, I had done OLCI for my CO flight.

At first, they were unable to see my full CO itinerary as my ticket had previously been exchanged by CO and therefore had a different ticket number than when originally booked. So I ran down to CO for the first time to get my original e-ticket number. At the same time, the CO TA handed me my boarding passes. I ran back to the NWA counter. I laid down all the paperwork that CO gave me and the NWA TA spotted the CO BPs. They were now able to find my itinerary in the system, but only my 1st coupon was showing available.

Run #2 to CO was as much fun as the first run to their ticket counter. I asked to be unchecked in for my second flight, but they refused to do so. As I knew there were open seats on the NWA flight, I asked them to completely uncheck me in. They did so and I ran back to NWA.

Upon my return TA #2 who had been assisting TA#1 with my itinerary helped me as TA #1 was going to the gate to help board the flight. TA #2 printed my BPs, assigned me seats, and instructed me to head to the gate to dance for a F upgrade. TA #2 had somehow converted my CO E-ticket into a CO paper ticket She attached these to the back of my new NWA Y class BP (150% EQM) and instructed me to go to the gate.

On the way to meet the TSA, I called trekwars2000 to tell him the good news! mikeef stopped me as he heard the words "100% EQMs" come out of my mouth. He asked if I was a FTer. I hung up on trekwars2000 and chatted with this awesome FTer thorugh the D security check and on the tram over to the D gates. We seperated as we reached my gate. He had plAAns to go to MIA on the AA non-stop and wanted to grab a bite before boarding. I went to the GA and asked for a F upgrade. I instantly cleared into F and had a BP in hand. Went to the boarding gate and handed the GA who was TA #1 my BP.

Things I learned:
1. Do not check in for your flight operated by other airline
2. Make sure you have your original e-ticket number as well as your current e-ticket number.
3. Be friendly and say thank you!

BTW, my upgrade cleared at the gate for my connecting flight. A bit less RDM, but 100% more EQM and arrived 2 hours earlier than if I had flown CO as scheduled!

Good luck - I hope my experience will help you.

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Mar 3, 07 at 6:48 am Reason: Clarified typos
Old Mar 3, 07, 4:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
The program is still there I'm sure - its quite complex actually (about 10 pages of reading material), so hence why you mileage may vary..

They can actually take tickets from anyone with a baggage service agreement - which excludes the usual offenders. Reroutes are not allowed. NW will accept anything from CO per the rule for same day stdby - practice may vary.
Old Mar 3, 07, 5:07 am

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
"Your mileage may vary" is especially appropriate when you're talking about B.U.M.P.ing off CO onto NW!
Old Mar 3, 07, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Had an associate I gave the code to for the agent to enter into the computer for the bump program. Agent informed them that the program has changed and it needs to be a partner airline.
It has to be an airline they have a baggage service agreement with, and other things. It excludes Airtran, Frontier, Southwest, Jetblue and a few other LCC's (I think including Midwest).
Old Mar 3, 07, 5:26 am
xjj

Mrp Alert,

Was that an outbound or inbound?
Old Mar 3, 07, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by xjj View Post
Mrp Alert,

Was that an outbound or inbound?
He said one-way Welcome to FT!
Old Mar 3, 07, 8:25 am

Programs: DM , MM ,Natl-Exec Elite,HH diamond,SPG gold
Rules

Where can they be located?? Love this place
Old Mar 3, 07, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by szerfam View Post
Where can they be located?? Love this place
You can locate them via G ATO BUMP from a NW Agent terminal; I'm not sure how you can get them any other way....
Old Mar 3, 07, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by gpan View Post
It has to be an airline they have a baggage service agreement with, and other things. It excludes Airtran, Frontier, Southwest, Jetblue and a few other LCC's (I think including Midwest).
I would assume NWA has a luggage agreement with XY as I have been rerouted on them and my luggage made it through fine, plus I think you get EQMs or RDMs on them.
Old Mar 3, 07, 10:26 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
I would assume NWA has a luggage agreement with XY as I have been rerouted on them and my luggage made it through fine, plus I think you get EQMs or RDMs on them.
I think you mean YX. XY is the code for Al-Khayala .
Old Mar 3, 07, 11:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
No EQMs... just base miles.

Search this Thread