Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
The cheapest way I know is to take AF1980 or AF1981 CDG-LHR-CDG. The flight is on the A380 and is available a couple fo weeks in June and July. There are lots of seats, and the cheapest fare is Euro 3 (that is three Euros), and it accumulates miles. of course you need to start the trip in CDG The flights are for training and they are accepting passengers to make the entire training experience complete. You can book Business, but that is NOT 3 Euro. They are not accepting bookings in F. So, you did ask, and this works. maybe it'll cost a bit more to get you to Paris, but then you might make Platinum instead of Gold.
Old May 14, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: DL 1MM/DM, SPG Platinum, Pete's Brass Rail & Car Wash Beer Club
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
The cheapest way I know is to take AF1980 or AF1981 CDG-LHR-CDG. The flight is on the A380 and is available a couple fo weeks in June and July. There are lots of seats, and the cheapest fare is Euro 3 (that is three Euros), and it accumulates miles. of course you need to start the trip in CDG The flights are for training and they are accepting passengers to make the entire training experience complete. You can book Business, but that is NOT 3 Euro. They are not accepting bookings in F. So, you did ask, and this works. maybe it'll cost a bit more to get you to Paris, but then you might make Platinum instead of Gold.
This is amazing... I just did a mock booking , CDG - LHR on 6/21 and it was $3. I chose a return flight on 6/26 and it was only $1. CDG - LHR RT for $4. Didn't think it was possible!

EDIT: $4 is great, until you get hit with the $96 in taxes! $100 RT is still pretty cool, especially on a A388.

Last edited by BoeingGuy; May 14, 2010 at 9:18 am Reason: Taxes
Old May 14, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta-DM, OP-Plat, WN-CP A-List Rapid Rewards, HH Diamond, Starwood SPG.....
I just found the same too. That's pretty cool! I'm going to try that flight when I'm in CDG. It will be my first A380 Flight. ^

Originally Posted by BoeingGuy
This is amazing... I just did a mock booking , CDG - LHR on 6/21 and it was $3. I chose a return flight on 6/26 and it was only $1. CDG - LHR RT for $4. Didn't think it was possible!

EDIT: $4 is great, until you get hit with the $96 in taxes! $100 RT is still pretty cool, especially on a A388.
Old May 14, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Keep in mind that these flights exist only until mid-July after which they'll probably never be there again. It may well hit the record books as the shortest scheduled A380 flight. LH so far seems not to be selling tickets on their proving runs. I think it's quite cool!
Old May 14, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
DELETED

Last edited by USirritated; May 14, 2010 at 3:07 pm Reason: duplicate post
Old May 14, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Unfortunately, those A380 flights must already be booked, because the cheapest I could find for June 21* and June 24* was
From €22.00 round trip + Taxes
€155.47 Taxes/Fees =
Full Fare
€177.47
AND, the flights were not on A380, but A321 or B738, and interestingly enough, many are routed through AMS, so the roundtrip would generate 2,000MQM (500 MQM per segment), but hardly cheap at the current exchange rate of €177.47 = $219.37.

The taxes are an absolute killer!

*I tried other dates in June, but the above fair was the best I could find. I can't do this trip in July due to other business obligations.
Old May 14, 2010, 3:06 pm

Wow! I found it! I was originally checking on delta.com, and it did not come up that way. However, I did find it on airfrance.com, with the cheaper fare. The A380 flights do not show up on delta.com at all, but just like jbcarioca said, AF1980 and AF1981 are available, and just like BoeingGuy said, it is $3 outbound (Saturday, June 19), and $1 return (Monday, June 21):

Price Taxes incl 9/11 fee Passenger Total including taxes
$4 + $96.17 x 1 Adult = $100.17
Total : $100.17

It is also available for same day outbound and return, I checked Saturday, June 19.

Again, the taxes are still a killer!
Old May 14, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
The cheapest way I know is to take AF1980 or AF1981 CDG-LHR-CDG. The flight is on the A380 and is available a couple fo weeks in June and July. There are lots of seats, and the cheapest fare is Euro 3 (that is three Euros)
That is awesome! I just let my friends in LON and PAR know about it. I wish I was in Paris at that time!
Old May 14, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
MQM Question

The cheapest way I know is to take AF1980 or AF1981 CDG-LHR-CDG. The flight is on the A380 and is available a couple fo weeks in June and July. There are lots of seats, and the cheapest fare is Euro 3 (that is three Euros), and it accumulates miles. of course you need to start the trip in CDG
Assuming one could actually book this trip, what are the credited MQM per segment? I thought I read something where AF does not grant Delta Skymiles MQM on certain classes of tickets?

Not sure how you found this training flight, but that's quite a coup for someone who can use it.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Thanks for the options! Will be in Paris this summer (UA) would be great to fly the 380 and qualify for GM.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:31 am

The A380 "promotional" fare at EUR 78 books into R class, which earns 500 miles and MQMs each way. The more expensive "regular" fare at EUR 160 books into N class - no miles or MQMs!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: Hyatt
Red face 10 EQM short of Silver... can anything be done?

So due to some horrible horrible calculation on my end, my girlfriend just ended up at 24990 with her last RT.

I was just wondering if there was anyway to get her on the upgrade lists for her next RT itself? Or would she have to stick to no status for now and officially cross the 25k mark, wait for silver and then perhaps on the flights after the next trip only be recognized as silver?

The reason I ask is that this does make a difference as the route (MSP-WAS) she flies does have a pretty high percentage of Silvers getting upgraded based on my personal experience.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:35 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
I have heard of DL granting upgraded status when people fall short by a few miles at the end of the calendar year, but never in the middle of the year. My guess is they will not grant her silver until she actually crosses the 25k mark, but I guess it's worth a shot. FYI, she will likely have to update her FF number on her DL itinerary online in order for the updated status to register. Ie: I took a flight to LHR last year which put me over the GM threshold. My itinerary still listed me as FO on the return until I updated my SM number, at which point the itinerary reflected the change in my status.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta - Silver
I tried this last year when I was 50 miles or so short.. ended up being told no. Good luck!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Take a mini-vacation

I would guess that your girlfriend may take a DL flight anyway some time between now and December 31, so she certainly has plenty of time to qualify for silver for 2011.

If she has a LONG flight planned between now and December 31, she might want to take a short or cheap trip on DL first so that she flies the long flight as a silver and gets the 25% boost on redeemable miles.

In any case, any qualifying miles over 25,000 that are earned this year roll over to 2011, and will make qualifying for silver in 2012 a little easier.

The other way to play it would be to swap your upgraded boarding pass with her coach cabin boarding pass on your next flight together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.