Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2007, 5:51 am

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
I personally think that a short hop which can maybe just be a VERY quick mileage run in a few hours one day is your best bet. Nest it within your itininerary. Why don't you post where you wil be for the longest period of time and maybe someone can figure out a very cheap mileage run.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
Itinerary

The reason for my trip is that I am going home to spend time with my family for Thanksgiving. This is only my third trip home since I moved to Hawaii in Aug 2006 so I really wasn’t planning on taking time away…but if anyone has any brilliant ideas below is my itinerary.

Itinerary

Thurs 15 Nov CO 72 10:25pm HNL – IAH 9:55AM Fri 16 Nov
Fri 16 Nov CO 382 11:05am IAH – BOS 3:48pm

Sun 25 Nov CO 293 5:15am BOS – IAH 8:22am
Sun 25 Nov CO 1 9:35am IAH – HNL 2:05pm

Thank you everyone for really trying to come up with some ideas to help me out...I'm surprised you haven't given up on me yet.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by WorldstoSee
I received a not quite clear response from Delta Customer Service.

“The promotional bonus miles are not included in MQM unless specified, however the bonus miles will be calculated towards the SkyMiles Program balance only when Rewards Network post the miles to your SkyMiles account.”

I resent my message hoping for a clearer response, since it’s not the bonus miles I am worried about but the MQMs.

I would try to call but I really want a response in writing.

I also tried to change my flights and Continental told me that not only would it cost me the $100 change fee but also a $400 difference in price.

I didn't think it would be this hard....blah

WorldstoSee
The response and the reality is clear: the dining bonus can't help you.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:38 am

You can fly to PHL from BOS for $99 on DL. Squeeze it in. You've got 10 days there. Take a one hour trip to Philadelphia for 500 MQMs each way.

http://www.farecompare.com/search/ye...PHL&airline=DL

http://www.farecompare.com/maps/comp...BOS&airline=DL

Having SM status on Delta for a Hawaiin resident who flies to the mainland 3 times a year is definitely worth $100, as the upgrades on those flights would be very nice to have.

Last edited by BingoLoco; Oct 14, 2007 at 8:53 am
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by BingoLoco
The response and the reality is clear: the dining bonus can't help you.
The reality is not clear. Please read the Dining Promo. The Dining Promo specifically states that 1000 MQMs, not just regular miles, will be awarded. I still do not believe that if I complete a qualifying activity in 2007 whether it be flying, dining, renting a car or whatever, that it can be applied to 2008 miles/MQMs. The OP, if she completes the dining in 2007, should receive the miles AND MQMs for her 2007 account regardless when they post. I will keep researching the issue and will try to post something definitive whether or not I am right or wrong. As I said in my above post, many of us fly partner airlines during the last week of December, and I am sure that I am not the only person to have those miles not post until January of the next year, and it is my understanding that even if they posted after the first of the next year they would apply to the previous year's mileage. Many of us do mileage runs at the end of the year and we do so knowing that a flight segment commenced prior to midnight of December 31, 2007 will apply to 2007 regardless when it posts. If anyone has contrary info I would like to know since I may be doing such a mileage run.

Last edited by waltinsocal; Oct 14, 2007 at 10:49 am
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:54 am

From the 2007 Delta Medallion Benefit Guide page 3 entitled Medallion Qualification Time Frame: "Members will qualfy for 2008 Medallion status based on activity in the 2007 calendar year."

Based on this, I would assert that whenever the miles actually post is irrelevant (naturally it is better if it posts sooner so one gets Medallion status sooner). It clearly states that it is the time of the activity itself which matters. Therefore, the dining option should work if the dining is completed in 2007 which will occur since the last day of the promo is 11/30. As an added precaution for the OP, at the end of the promo I would fax to Delta Skymiles copies of the 4 dining receipts showing use of the correct credit card at the 4 approved restaurants. I have found the fax number very prompt when faxing boarding passes from Alitalia (which seems to never post properly). The 3 times I have faxed boarding passes the miles have posted the next day.

Last edited by waltinsocal; Oct 14, 2007 at 12:00 pm
Old Oct 14, 2007, 7:07 pm

The miles from that promotion aren't going to post for months. If you get a confirmation that they'll apply, thats one thing.

Relying on them applying for 2007 status is quite another.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
In all honesty, it's a little strange that this is getting so much debate. Activity in 2007 credits to the 2007 calendar year (unless overtly disclosed otherwise in the T&C) - if they don't post, you would just need to quickly call and have it fixed.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 3:24 am

According to the promotion text, it should work out:

*Qualified dines are dines at any participating restaurant, bar, or club that occur after registering for this bonus and are $25 or more (including tax and tip), that take place between 10/1/07 and 11/30/07 during a valid benefit period, and that are paid for with a credit or debit card registered in SkyMiles Dining and Hotels by Rewards Network. Offer is combinable with other SkyMiles Dining bonuses. Limit one qualified dine per participating restaurant per member toward this bonus. Offer is limited to U.S. residents. Other limitations may apply. Some restaurants offer mileage awards only on certain days of the week, times of the day or up to a maximum spending amount per month. For complete program Terms and Conditions, guidelines and restrictions and the latest benefit schedules, visit skymiles.rewardsnetwork.com.

Please allow 4 – 6 weeks after the end of the bonus for any bonus miles or MQMs to post to your account. All account inquiries related to this bonus must be received within 90 days of the qualified dine. Limit one Miles Upon Miles bonus per member. Bonus miles are not eligible to earn MQMs. Medallion Qualification Miles are used for Medallion Status qualification and are based on calendar year activity. For 2007 Silver Medallion status, members must earn 25,000 MQM; 50,000 MQM for Gold Medallion status; and 75,000 MQM for Platinum Medallion status. Visit http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ for complete details about MQMs and bonus miles.

All SkyMiles program rules apply. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/skymiles. Delta, SkyMiles and the Delta logo are registered service marks of Delta Corporate Identity, Inc. Delta is not responsible for goods or services offered by Rewards Network or any restaurant participating in this promotion.

If you have any questions or need assistance, email us at [email protected] or call SkyMiles Dining Member Services at 1-800-818-8339.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, CO, HH, PP
Originally Posted by WorldstoSee
I received a not quite clear response from Delta Customer Service.

“The promotional bonus miles are not included in MQM unless specified, however the bonus miles will be calculated towards the SkyMiles Program balance only when Rewards Network post the miles to your SkyMiles account.”

I resent my message hoping for a clearer response, since it’s not the bonus miles I am worried about but the MQMs.

I would try to call but I really want a response in writing.

I also tried to change my flights and Continental told me that not only would it cost me the $100 change fee but also a $400 difference in price.

I didn't think it would be this hard....blah

WorldstoSee

My guess here is that if the mile post in 08, they will be for 08. Certainly the diningmiles you get will be applied for the dates you dine, but the bonus, which is the MQM + 1000 skymiles will post six to eight weeks after completion of the period. So I would guess that they will be " earned " when they are posted.

All that being said, I would go with the suggestion to see if you can modify a planned trip to add a stop that will increase your total MQM by more than 255. Good luck!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:05 pm

need 8000 MQMs before December

Hi,

need 8000 MQMs before December 15th for gold status.(Does it take effect immediately or after Jan 1st 2008?) . Any ways to aquire these without flying?

Last edited by vickh; Oct 19, 2007 at 4:11 pm
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
You could get the Amex platinum for 5,000 MQMs on your first purchase, but you'd better do it quick. As for the remaining 3,000, I don't know of any ways other than doing an MR.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
You can get an extra 1k through the current Dining Rewards promo - couple active links in this forum discussing it.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:48 pm

I was one of the people discussing the dining promo. Delta emailed me and told me if the MQMs did not post until after the first, they would apply to 2008. Delta told me that it treats MQMs received from flying differently that those from non-flight activities. According to Delta, MQMs from flying are credited to the year in which the flight occurred no matter when they actually post. From nonflight sources they are credited in the year posted even if you completed the activity; i.e. dining, in the previous year. Seems strange but that's the story I am getting from Delta.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
I was one of the people discussing the dining promo. Delta emailed me and told me if the MQMs did not post until after the first, they would apply to 2008. Delta told me that it treats MQMs received from flying differently that those from non-flight activities. According to Delta, MQMs from flying are credited to the year in which the flight occurred no matter when they actually post. From nonflight sources they are credited in the year posted even if you completed the activity; i.e. dining, in the previous year. Seems strange but that's the story I am getting from Delta.
It doesn't seem strange at all. Delta is looking at it from the perspective of their own and knowing that their MQMs post immediately 99% of the time and it's easy to figure out a fixed date on those that don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.