Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I’ve got an upcoming reservation that after a couple sched changes now shows a 34’ connection. I’m tempted to keep it unless they call and force me to change. The only reason I’m not tempted is that it’s the last flight of the night to my destination but that destination is home. Bags will be checked — — carryons just backpack/purse. Thoughts? I’ll be seated on the exit row of a 737-7 on the inbound to ATL.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I’ve got an upcoming reservation that after a couple sched changes now shows a 34’ connection. I’m tempted to keep it unless they call and force me to change. The only reason I’m not tempted is that it’s the last flight of the night to my destination but that destination is home. Bags will be checked — — carryons just backpack/purse. Thoughts? I’ll be seated on the exit row of a 737-7 on the inbound to ATL.

Are you sitting in C+ or higher? My only concern would be if folks are slow to disembark -- otherwise 34 is doable for a seasoned ATL traveler, just means you might have to take the train where you otherwise would walk.

That said -- what are the other options? If there is an option that lets you go from 34 minutes to 55 minutes it might be worth the switch (thinking of a route like ATL - RDU where there are multiple late night frequencies) but if the alternative is a 90+ minute layover it's definitely not worth it
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
When is the reservation for? Atlanta has some taxiway/runway work going on that's throwing everything through a loop at the moment...
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The risk you run is that DL won't let you check your bag because your connection is below MCT. I personally would change it to a longer connection for that reason.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Duke787
Are you sitting in C+ or higher? My only concern would be if folks are slow to disembark -- otherwise 34 is doable for a seasoned ATL traveler, just means you might have to take the train where you otherwise would walk.

That said -- what are the other options? If there is an option that lets you go from 34 minutes to 55 minutes it might be worth the switch (thinking of a route like ATL - RDU where there are multiple late night frequencies) but if the alternative is a 90+ minute layover it's definitely not worth it

As mentioned I’ll be on a 737-7 most likely in the exit row (unlikely to be upgraded). The flight is key west to Sacramento. I can change to a departure out of Key West that’s an hour and a half earlier but I also don’t fancy a 2 hour layover when I could spend an hour of that time instead at the Hogs Breath. But it’s probably the “safe option”.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:46 am

I'll be flying MAN - ATL - MSP on Delta 4354 in a week. Sitting comfort+ mid plane - seat 39 on a 747-400 - scheduled landing for 4.10pm into terminal I leaving for MSP from terminal S(?)

Currently have an estimated 1h46 transfer time through ATL, been advised minimum is 1h25 by KLM. I'll have a checked bag and no pre-authorisation other than ESTA. Is this a reasonable transfer time (based on no major delays) or should I be expecting to have to wait around to catch the next available flight?

Cheers

Last edited by RND12; Nov 6, 2019 at 9:05 am Reason: Added terminal info - unsure on accuracy
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by RND12
I'll be flying MAN - ATL - MSP on Delta 4354 in a week. Sitting comfort+ mid plane - seat 39 on a 747-400 - scheduled landing for 4.10pm into terminal I leaving for MSP from terminal S(?)

Currently have an estimated 1h46 transfer time through ATL, been advised minimum is 1h25 by KLM. I'll have a checked bag and no pre-authorisation other than ESTA. Is this a reasonable transfer time (based on no major delays) or should I be expecting to have to wait around to catch the next available flight?

Cheers
As it says in the wiki, ignore if your docs say Terminal N or S as those refer to the landside check in desks where passengers originating ATL go to. Same thing with "I" which means international, meant for passengers originating Atlanta.

DL4354 is a Virgin Atlantic flight which I assume you booked under a DL codeshare. Row 39 on VS is simply regular Economy, not premium Economy or DL Comfort+.

Virgin uses Concourse F which is for international arrivals, there you will go thru immigration, pick up your bags and take them thru customs to recheck them and finally go via security. After security you will look at gate information and take the train to the appropriate concourse (T, A, B, C, D), it is possible but unlikely that your MSP flight departs from Concourse E (short walk from F) or F itself.

1h46min is tight but you should be fine, it will depend on the length of immigration lines if you make it or not so keep in mind you may miss this connection.

See map for the concourses

https://www.delta.com/us/en/airports...ub-airport-map
RND12 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS, DL GM, AA, HH Plat, IHG
Originally Posted by RND12

Cheers
That transfer time is fairly tight for international to domestic at ATL...or almost any other large US airport. Immigration is unpredictable, especially at ATL, and may take a lot longer than the "average" time to which some people are accustomed. I've managed to make it through to my domestic connection twice this year on LHR-ATL flights on VS in less than 30 minutes, but that's possible by being a US citizen with Global Entry and only carry-on bags; AND being in upper class on an A330 so as to being one of the first ones off. Since the VS flights seem to be at least 80% non-US citizens, the lines on that side of the room get pretty LONG. Otherwise, I always try to have a minimum connect of 2 hrs at ATL, and 3 hrs at JFK. You'll probably be OK, though, if you hustle.
RND12 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:10 am

Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I don't think I'd factored getting through immigration into the mix (First long haul and visit to the US so you live and you learn!).
I'm not holding out much hope but fingers crossed for no delays and I'm just relying on myself to get my speedy boots on and get across the airport.
Any tips for speeding any part of the process up? Other than paying for the business class upgrade is there anything I can do to get off quicker (I think I'm clutching at straws there though!)
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You shouldn't have an issue. Despite the doom and gloom of other poster, immigration is not normally awful, even for first time ESTA user.
RND12 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
International connection in ATL

It's been about 10 years since I last connected from an international flight in Atlanta; it was such a bad experience I've sworn off doing it again. Until now...

By "bad" I mean the luggage took at least an hour to reach the carousel, and the customs/immigration lines were extremely long. Not fun....and it made me since appreciate - and favor - the (much preferable) smaller airports such as MSP and SLC and SEA. That time I arrived about 3 or 4pm, obviously peak.

I have an upcoming connection, a week from today (Monday), and my inbound flight from CDG arrives about 7pm. I was wondering if I can expect the same madness? Has it improved, and/or will the later hour of arrival help?

I have a 2 hour connection window to SFO.

Thanks!

RRZ
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
You will be absolutely fine.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
No need at all to worry. ATL is extremely efficient and has gotten much better since 10 years ago with the addition of Concourse F. I too booked a 2 hour international connection in ATL next summer arriving from VCE connecting to MSP.

For now the only DL hub I would suggest avoiding coming into the USA is SEA. The line to re-clear TSA after clearing Customs/Immigration is over an hour long most days in my experience.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Echoing the above comments, I've had 5 international arrivals into ATL over the past year at all times of day. Admittedly, I have Global Entry, so I can't report on the length of the regular US citizen lines, but everything was a breeze otherwise.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
No need at all to worry. ATL is extremely efficient and has gotten much better since 10 years ago with the addition of Concourse F. I too booked a 2 hour international connection in ATL next summer arriving from VCE connecting to MSP.

For now the only DL hub I would suggest avoiding coming into the USA is SEA. The line to re-clear TSA after clearing Customs/Immigration is over an hour long most days in my experience.
I just connected in SEA a couple of weeks ago from NRT, at about 10am. The TSA line wasn't all that long, but they did have signs pointing you out to the main terminal if Pre Check was desired. I had a 4 hour layover with plenty of time to kill, so I did that. It involves taking the subway train back to the main terminal, back up to the main hall, etc. Probably would have been shorter to go thru the normal TSA, but I had a lot of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.