Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by rubesl
Any opinions on a 45 min. connection in ATL for this? My other choice is a 2:20 connection time (I guess I could always spend time at One Flew South, but I would like to get home earlier).
You should be fine if you move briskly (assuming you are an able-bodied adult).

Good news is it sounds like you're not on the last flight of the day, so if your inbound has a delay and you miss the ATL-DTW, DL will put you on the next one and you'll have 2 hrs to while away at OFS.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
I have a ~55min Connection coming up today, Den>Atl>Aus, Den>ATL on 1616 was delayed 15min, bringing me to just about a 55min connection time, and looks like I will need to go from A4 to F6 - Do I have enough time? I can move pretty quick and have made sub 30min connections in DFW, but have never been through ATL before. Thanks! Will be in F both times, so getting off the plane should at least be quick.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
55 mins should be plenty for someone who can move fast.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sethb
55 mins should be plenty for someone who can move fast.
55 mins is plenty for me and I do not walk very fast.

If IWontRegretThis has made it in sub-30 minutes at that DFW place (reminds me a bit of CDG), he is good for the sub-20s at ATL.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
I have a ~55min Connection coming up today, Den>Atl>Aus, Den>ATL on 1616 was delayed 15min, bringing me to just about a 55min connection time, and looks like I will need to go from A4 to F6 - Do I have enough time? I can move pretty quick and have made sub 30min connections in DFW, but have never been through ATL before. Thanks! Will be in F both times, so getting off the plane should at least be quick.
The train from A to F takes about 5 minutes and leaves every two or three minutes. Both gates are very near the access points for the train and the signage is impeccable.

You will not have any problem making that connection unless your inbound flight is delayed severely and the outbound one is on time. IME that is rare since usually delays are weather related and affect both in and outbound flights.

I routinely change from B to F in fifteen minutes, and normally wait for boarding of my continuing flight, scheduled one hour after my arrival.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:29 pm

Domestic to International question--

Would a 40 minute MCT work for DL 2172 arriving from TPA (Tampa) into Terminal S, with a connection on a departing international flight DL 200 out of Terminal 1? This is the once-daily flight to JNB. If we missed the DL flight--we plan to go EC to make the 15+ hours more tolerable--which is more likely, that DL puts us on an AF flight through CDG, or sends us to IAD to catch the once-daily SA flight to JNB?

Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by elizadoo
Would a 40 minute MCT work for DL 2172 arriving from TPA (Tampa) into Terminal S, with a connection on a departing international flight DL 200 out of Terminal 1? This is the once-daily flight to JNB. If we missed the DL flight--we plan to go EC to make the 15+ hours more tolerable--which is more likely, that DL puts us on an AF flight through CDG, or sends us to IAD to catch the once-daily SA flight to JNB?

Thanks.
IMHO a 40-minute connection to a once-a-day international flight is not prudent. As for re-booking, ranked most likely to least likely:

1. They ask you to wait for the next day's DL flight.

2. They rebook you on AF, KL, or VS.

3. They offer to refund your ticket.

4. Hell freezes over.

5. They pay to put you on SA.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by elizadoo

Thanks.
Your terminal information doesn't seem to make sense. Terminal S for south would be all of the DL main terminal check in world at ATL. It's where DL originating passengers would start, but irrelevant for connections. Similarly, I don't know what Terminal 1 could mean unless it just refers to the huge main terminal at ATL. Could this be I for international?

Your inbound flight could arrive at almost any gate at ATL. Gate changes are frequent. The JNB flight will depart from an E or F gate. Officially you are required to be on board an international flight 30 minutes before scheduled departure time, so if your inbound flight is on time, you would have ten minutes to deplane and get between concourses using the little train in the basement. I would consider ten minutes impossible even if you run.

If you're rebooked, EC seats might not be available, although you would get a refund for those seat fees.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:08 pm

many thanks!

Just wanted to thank those who posted on my connection time question and also my last minute OLCI issues (you were all correct, just extra security).

It turns out my 38 minute connection YUL-ATL-HNL was even tighter since we were about 20 minutes landing (had to de-ice before leaving)... Needless to say, we elbowed out of the plane, ran from E32 to E14 (predictions about usual gate assignments were dead on) and made it just in time as they shut the plane doors behind us!

I also noticed they "strongly" encouraged people to gate check their roller bags on the smaller planes, with one gate agent telling me my luggage would not fit in the overhead compartiments, when I have measured them and know they can fit in a CRJ900 bin. The second agent disputed that and told me there must've been a misunderstanding... Very stressful given the short connection we were facing, they could care less that the 2 options - gate check or check to final destination - would make us miss our flight or arrive without luggage. When we decided to take a chance, turns out there were empty overhead bins as we left!!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Glad you made it. Wondered what happened. You still in Honolulu? Nice weather? I'll be there in a couple days. Aloha
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:56 pm

We just came back today, Honolulu was wonderful as usual. Great weather, only 1 iffy morning, beautiful sunshine with some clouds but nothing that stops you from enjoying paradise!

Also quite enjoyed Delta as compared to United the last few years, will definately fly this route with them in the future depending on what the schedules will look like.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: RapidRewards
Question Minimum connection time: Domestic to Internatl

Is a 71 minute layover long enough for baggage to be transferred from a domestic Delta flight to an outgoing international Delta flight at ATL?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As answered in numerous posts, and per Delta''s own policies, yes plenty of time.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

One might think of that as more on the 'adequate' end of the spectrum rather than generous. There is a matrix of Minimum Connect Times by airport and carrier with which ticket sales are governed; connections with less than minimum are not legal - a word used in these forums - and will not be displayed. If an advanced schedule change results in less time than legal, the party that ticketed you (Delta, travel agent, Orbitz...) is responsible for rebooking you.

If you're connecting to the last DL flight of the day to your destination and have the option of getting to ATL 90 minutes earlier, think about it. If you already have a nonrefundable ticket and don't want to pay $$$ to change it, 71 scheduled minutes will be adequate in most circumstances. One can go from any ATL gate to any other gate in less than 25 minutes.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would say that illegal connections will not be displayed unless there's a glitch. Sometimes strange things happen and tickets that violate MCT are sold. You can also buy any connection time you want on separate tickets, but AFAIK if there is less than MCT, luggage won't be checked through and of course you're facing a good chance of missing the connection.

OP should note that there's a difference between a legal connection and a sensible connection. If there's a choice, why not avoid the worry and give yourself more time at ATL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.