Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's the Worst Seat on a Delta Plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the Worst Seat on a Delta Plane?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:26 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Yesterday, I had a first-class (V) seat on the 9:05 a.m. flight MSY-ATL. When I got to the airport, I saw that Delta has an 8:00 a.m. flight, so I got on the standby list (no fees, either!). I cleared, and they gave me seat 25F on the 757.

</font>
The biggest question is whether or not you really have to get to ATL one hour sooner to make it worth sitting in back?

Definitely a question of personal preference!
Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The goal wasn't to get to ATL early; it was to get home early -- and I did, by 2 hours. Of course, I had to sit in coach.

Bruce
Old Feb 16, 2003, 10:59 am

Probally any seat next to someone complaining about the seat they are in, ie middle seat, window seat no recline seat etc, or whining about how they never sit in coach but are always in first class.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 1:45 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
The goal wasn't to get to ATL early; it was to get home early -- and I did, by 2 hours. Of course, I had to sit in coach.

Bruce
</font>
That's always a good trade!
Old Feb 16, 2003, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Hmmm... Last row on a RJ!

------------------
The skies are NOT the limit, since I am going to fly them.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 5:52 pm

It's amazing how much difference in leg room there is between Delta and American. I travel both airlines frequently, but enjoy American much better due to the increased leg room. My legs never hit the back of the seat in front of me on an American flight although I'm 6'2". Just my thoughts.

------------------
AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont President's Club Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Old Feb 17, 2003, 7:48 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
&gt;&gt;&gt; Likewise. At 6'5", my knees are already wrinkling the seatback as soon as I sit down.

Give me your 6'5" and I will trade you my 5'8" and I will gladly ride in coach with my heels almost at my rump and my knees at my nose.

Was on a Delta 737 last month and I tried several seats and they only reclined about 8 inches at the top, roughly the thickness of the headrest. NOt sure whether all the seats were that way.

One thing I should try (can someone 6'5" do it in a window seat?) is turn around and kneel on the seat facing backwards, several times during the flight to stimulate blood circulation.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 02-17-2003).]
Old Nov 22, 2005, 7:24 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Worst seat on a Delta aircraft you have ever sat in

Missed my connecting flight out of ATL and had to settle for this one...

767 middle seat
in the back
next to a huge man

He wasn't all that fat; he was just huge, like a football player. I would guess 6' 6" 300 pounds 20% body fat. Luckily the other passenger was a petite woman. I didn't have to lean over much, but I had no elbow room on my right.

A middle seat on a 737 or 757 isn't too bad because I can still see out the window. But on a 767, I can see very little from that distance during take-off and nothing in flight.

Most people would consider back of the plane worse, but I actually prefer to sit back there, so this flight wasn't the absolute worst. When there are people in front of me, I don't feel as cramped (claustrophia light?).
Old Nov 22, 2005, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
A couple recent seats come to mind.

1. The last seat in the back of a CRJ. Big shouldered guy in the window seat to my right. Smelly lav to my left. The FA gave me extra snacks for having to sit there, though.

2. I'm slightly claustrophobic, too. I hate window seats. Had the window in the middle of 3 row side on a MD88. In the aisle, a huge guy who spreads his legs as far apart as they go forcing the wimp in the middle onto my shoulder. I thought it would abate after takeoff. Instead they both fall asleep.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Nov 2000: my only flight on a DL 777... there is truly nothing worse than being in the middle of those rows of five.

Thankfully, I hear they have changed that configuration.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:29 am

Programs: DL FO, UA Premier Silver, AA Gold, PC Gold, HH Silver, MR Silver
For me, the worst was on a 757 from ATL-PBI. Stuck in 25B, the middle seat in front of the exit row. The seats in row 25 do not recline since it is front of the exit row. But, of course, the people in row 24 can recline so needless to say everyone in row 24 decided to go into full recline.

Needless to say, it was a very uncomfortable flight. I actually felt worse for the man next to me in 25C as he was about 6' 6" and you could see him squirming the entire way.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Whatever seat is in the very back of an MD-88 with no window and an engine right outside the window. I think I had that seat on my very first trip for the gig I am in now. And it was a redeye to boot.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:44 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
Whatever seat is in the very back of an MD-88 with no window and an engine right outside the window. I think I had that seat on my very first trip for the gig I am in now. And it was a redeye to boot.
There are four of them: 37 and 38, A and E. I sat in a seat like that one time from HOU to DFW in 1990. There was winter weather, lots of cancellations, and it was either that or spend the night in HOU.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:52 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
....any seat on a Delta CRJ is a bad seat.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370153
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:55 am
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Middle of last row of Coach (seat does not recline) which was the smoking section. L1011 hkg-lax. I am 6' 3", 205lbs and do not smoke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.