Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Airlines and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2004, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Cholula
Not to downplay CI's safety record but 7.x incidents per million departures is small enough to be statistically insignificant. Not, of course, if you're on one of those flights but realistically the worst airline safety record is far better than nearly any other transportation mode.
But I'm playing devil's advocate here somewhat because you'll never catch me on a CI flight!!

Even if you don't look at the rate, but only the recent crashes, they have a terrible safety record compared to most other airlines. Three major crashes killing hundreds of people; one in 1998, one in 1999, and one in 2002. I won't fly them either and I just think that DL is crazy for putting their name on those flights. But, of course, they didn't ask me!!!
Old Apr 21, 2004, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Location: USA-BUSH COUNTRY to 08 (avote for Kerry is a vote for UBL), DL-PM expires 02/05 (RJ boycott), HP-PL, CO-PL, FL- Elite Plus, WN -
Don't fret about this situation, in the near future I am sure DL will be using a SuperStretch CRJ 1500ER for the routes provided by CI. Everyone loves RJs
Old Aug 5, 2004, 4:19 pm

SKYMILES from CHINA AIRLINES FLIGHTS

Does DL credit Skymiles for all flights taken on the entire system of China Airlines (CI)? How much bonuses do they give for business class passengers? How long does it take to get credited?
Old Aug 5, 2004, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mnlfqtv
Does DL credit Skymiles for all flights taken on the entire system of China Airlines (CI)? How much bonuses do they give for business class passengers? How long does it take to get credited?
A quick search of the DL website would yield the following info:

China Airlines offers:*
Economy Class: 500 miles minimum or actual miles flown, whichever is greater
Business Class: 125% of mileage
First Class: 150% of mileage
To reserve a flight now, visit China Airlines.6China Airlines:
*Mileage credit is only applicable for fares booked in F,A,C,D,Y,B,M,Q,T,K,H,L,N, and X

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/getmil...China_Airlines
Old Aug 5, 2004, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by mnlfqtv
I flew China Airlines from HKG-TPE-HNL (TPE-HNL is a DL codeshare) back in June in Business Class (that Dynasty Supreme Class TPE-HNL is sweet) - The miles from the Delta Codeshare segment posted immediately as with all DL flights, and with my Medallion and 25% Class of Service bonus. The HKG-TPE segment posted a week or so later, I believe. Also, this segment of my reservation did not appear in my profile online after booking and I was unable to prereserve a seat with SMS because it was purely CI and not a codeshare.

Have a good trip.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 5:21 pm

I flew 4 sectors on China Airlines only ( no DL sectors). It took about 4-6 weeks for the miles to post.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold
China Airlines

I am taking my first trip on China Airlines, a first-class roundtrip LAX-TPE, in early January. I have no control over the choice of flight, airline, etc.

It appears to me that I will be able to get Delta miles for the flight but those miles won't count toward status? Has anyone flown that airline that could confirm?

Last edited by lawgirl28; Dec 18, 2004 at 12:46 pm
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:40 pm

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
We did not receive any MQM for our flight last year. However, since Delta has been changing their program constantly, I do not know of the current status.

You might be interested in the China Airline 747-400 seatmap for version 1 of their 747-400.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thank you!
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
You can only earn MQMs if you book the Delta Codeshare, not if you book directly through CI. I flew them back in June from TPE-HNL on the codeshare and got 2x MQMs for the (cheap/$700) J-class ticket. The seats on their 2-class Airbus routes are identical to Delta's 777 BusinessElite seats. The service is marginally better, the food is a fair bit worse.

I don't know what their 3-class product is like. Their lounges have good dim sum.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:59 pm

China Air to/from TPE (No MQM)

Originally Posted by lawgirl28
I am taking my first trip on China Airlines, a first-class roundtrip LAX-TPE, in early January. I have no control over the choice of flight, airline, etc.

It appears to me that I will be able to get Delta miles for the flight but those miles won't count toward status? Has anyone flown that airline that could confirm?
You do not get MQM on China Air unless it is a code share with a DL flight number booked on your ticket and boarding pass. You do get regular miles. It takes a week to 2 weeks to post. Their business class (seats and entertainment) is not as good as CX or EVA. I have not flown their F. Be sure to give them your DL FF number when you check in LAX and again at TPE. Trying to get the mileage afterwards is a pain.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 3:21 pm

China Airlines experience

does anyone have experience with the Delta partner China Airlines? I am thinking of taking them to Taiwan and I was wondering what type of airline they are and what type of service they provide?

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 25, 2005 at 3:29 pm Reason: This milepost was merged into this thread unedited.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:22 pm

Programs: GM, Marriott Silver, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
Motion122...I note nobody has answered either this thread or the identical one you posted last night.
While I can’t help you on your question....hopefully someone can....I have a question. Is there no other alternative to where you want to fly than an airline that has one of the poorest safety records in the civilized world?
Just a personal hang up of mine, I guess, but I can’t imagine a scenario where I would voluntarily fly an airline that has so many safety issues.

For what it's worth, I looked into this safety issue and it's real. These guys have had a problem in the past. More like several problems.

I just completed a round trip to Singapore and paid the extra $250 to 1) stay off this airline and 2) get on the finest airline in the world, Singapore Air.

MQMs matter less than other things.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:53 pm

At least don't fly on Airbus A300 wide-body jet

Originally Posted by Owen
For what it's worth, I looked into this safety issue and it's real. These guys have had a problem in the past. More like several problems.

I just completed a round trip to Singapore and paid the extra $250 to 1) stay off this airline and 2) get on the finest airline in the world, Singapore Air.

MQMs matter less than other things.
Exactly my point.

This Airbus wide-body jet (esp. A300-330 model if I recall correctly) has really bad safety records around the world with many crashes. Make sure your dad doesn't fly on that type of aircraft, Motion 112. Have your dad fly Eva Air (now partners with Continental and CO is a partner of Delta) and the language won't be an issue. Why risk the most valuable things over miles?? Just redeem miles for other things like Lounge membership, fly on other partners' metals etc..

Originally Posted by racers
does anyone have experience with the Delta partner China Airlines? I am thinking of taking them to Taiwan and I was wondering what type of airline they are and what type of service they provide?
As a Taiwanese myself, I've only flied China Airlines on a trip to east coast codeshared with AA back in 98' I think. B747-400 is usually fine to cross the Pacific. Their service is fine. However, with their bad safety record history, stay away from them at all cost!

Last edited by FrequentMilesManiac; Apr 28, 2005 at 3:00 pm
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by racers
No award tickets availble with China Air in summer due to high demand. CAL got some newer plane than EVA with better service quality. US-TPE route always has very good quality of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.