Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MD-90 Aircraft: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
After riding in NW DC-9's for a long time, I can only chime in and say that DL's MD-90's are a truly painful way to fly.

All of DL management should be required to fly in one of these planes to get a real idea of how bad these planes are.
Old May 15, 2010, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by tvnwz
No more filthy than some chairs in the ATL Skyclub.
You are comparing airplane seats to airport lounge chairs? That's not really a fair comparison. If you want to talk about filthy lounge chairs, go to the CVG skyclub.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Janus
I am not a fan of the MD-* and DC-9s. Luckly, many of the DC-9s are going away soon. Hopefully to be replaced by A319/20 (much nicer, IMHO).
DC-9s are typically replaced by regional jets, which may or may not have a FC section.

The spiral is downwards.
Old May 15, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
DC-9s are typically replaced by regional jets, which may or may not have a FC section.

The spiral is downwards.
If you compare strictly based on seat count, the DC-9s are closer to the 320/319 than the non-FC CRJs.
Old May 15, 2010, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bkmn
After riding in NW DC-9's for a long time, I can only chime in and say that DL's MD-90's are a truly painful way to fly.

All of DL management should be required to fly in one of these planes to get a real idea of how bad these planes are.
+1....Give me a D93 anyday
Old May 15, 2010, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Janus
If you compare strictly based on seat count, the DC-9s are closer to the 320/319 than the non-FC CRJs.
Just a little history

320's were bought to replace the 727 fleet

319's were bought to slowly replace some of the 9 fleet
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Delta MD-90 AVOD update

According to this article:
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...panasonic.html

The MD-90 fleet will be getting the Panasonic Fusion IFE system. I'm guessing this is the reason why DL didn't yet install the screens on the ex-Hello MD-90s yet, as the system has yet to be approved by the FAA.

Also, I guess this kills rumors that DL will drop Panasonic as their IFE supplier.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 4:14 pm

AFAIK, the planned EIS for the Fusion system is in November. I'm guessing DL will begin installing the AVOD in the following weeks.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL, UA
I could be totally wrong here, but I thought I remembered seeing a pamphlet that said the M9K would have no IFE. Please correct me if I'm wrong 'cause that scared me a bit that they would be downgrading. Like I said I could be totally wrong about that.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
I could be totally wrong here, but I thought I remembered seeing a pamphlet that said the M9K would have no IFE. Please correct me if I'm wrong 'cause that scared me a bit that they would be downgrading. Like I said I could be totally wrong about that.
Actually, the M9K is currently prewired for the system, however, the screens have not yet been installed. The article I posted confirms that the MD-90 fleet will be getting AVOD.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Delta 764
Actually, the M9K is currently prewired for the system, however, the screens have not yet been installed. The article I posted confirms that the MD-90 fleet will be getting AVOD.
Ok, good. Glad to hear that I was mistaken.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Delta 764
According to this article:
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...panasonic.html

The MD-90 fleet will be getting the Panasonic Fusion IFE system. I'm guessing this is the reason why DL didn't yet install the screens on the ex-Hello MD-90s yet, as the system has yet to be approved by the FAA.

Also, I guess this kills rumors that DL will drop Panasonic as their IFE supplier.
Sweet
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
MD-90 Seating Question

On MD-90 seatguru shows exit row 28 as the best seat. It would appear looking at the map though that 27A is a good seat with no seat in front (though no recline). Seat guru actually suggests row 26 is the one with the missing seat in front, but that doesn't tie out to the chart. Any clarification from someone that has flown this aircraft config? Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Odd MD-90?

So I'm currently sitting on an MD-90 that has been updated to the 16F configuration... but it doesn't have any video. I didn't know there were any MD-90s w/o video. Divider between F and Y is a soft curtain, so row 5 has lots of legroom and row 4 has full recline. Could this be one of the purchases from China that was retrofitted? Even the FAs were surprised there wasn't video.
I didn't catch the ship number unfortunately, but it is flight 2022 MSP-BOS.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
You were on Ship 9217. It is the first one of the 'new' batch of MD90s. This one came from Hello Airlines. There is no video on it. There are quite a few differences from the original MD90s (as I found out the first time I flew it), but aside from the video and the new seating config, most are not noticeable to the Pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.