Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
1 business class, SFO-FCO on AF for end of March, beginning of April.

It was 100k miles and about $125 in fees at delta.com.

AF were the only flights which were "Low" mileage options. Anything on DL. metal was at least 50k more. Earlier this year, there was virtually no AF availability so the miles required would be sometimes more than double what I ended up redeeming.

Get the feeling we better use up the miles before they raise the thresholds and fees again, even though oil has come down a lot. Ticket prices for most of 2009 is still very high.

And with changes to the DL Amex (no promos for one thing, no always double miles), I'm not sure it's worth accumulating miles any more.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:23 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Four 25,000 mile award tickets into HDN (Hayden, CO - local airport for Steamboat Springs) first week in March. $40 total fees ($10 per ticket). Purchase price is right at $1,000 each.

This trip gave me errors when I searched the online award calendar, but 4 low-rate awards were available for the individual segments, so I called the web technical support desk (to avoid direct ticketing charges) and got success.

Strangely, the experience involved a hiccup in the booking in which the agent tried to book the 4th ticket and came back with "I can sell you the ticket for $1002, but I don't have availability for any amount of Skymiles." I thought that was supposed to be impossible. Once we reached that point, she had to have a supervisor "do an override" to get me the 4th ticket at the low rate (although it was available when the booking process was started). Lots of extra details to this story that many might find uninteresting -- I'm only mentioning it because it was so surprising to hear her claim that seats were available for purchase with cash but not with Skymiles, even at the "high" rate.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Sept 2009
JFK-TXL
ARN- JFK (via ATL)
100,000 plus $41

I wanted to throw my computer out of the window while trying to book this award ticket. The award calendar does not work with multi-city. It even malfunctions for regular tickets. Called several times and the agents were useless. Got one lucky agent who found this itinerary (which was not showing online).

It seemed as if all JFK-Europe flights would show "Low" and then price at 150,000 miles. Either that or have 19 hour layovers and triple connections.

I'd rather pour salt in my eyes than do this again.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So the only 100k awards on DL metal was available only through the agents, not the website?

That's what I saw trying to book through the website, either multi-city or non-multi-city.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by wco81
So the only 100k awards on DL metal was available only through the agents, not the website?.

Yes- I was using nwa.com to look for Skyteam options..found SU from ARN-SVO-JFK.. was not the most appealing option, but im adventurous so was willing to do it. Agent laughed at me and easily found routing through ATL instead (which actually doesn't even save that much time, but I'd much rather fly Delta than Aeroflot).

Definitely did not show online, so I guess I just got lucky.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 2:12 pm

2 Business Elite 120K mile tickets to the Seychelles in August 2009: New Orleans - Atlanta - Johannesburg (Delta) (stop-over) - Nairobi (Kenya Airways) - Seychelles (Kenya Airways) going and Seychelles - Nairobi (Kenya Airways) - Dubai (Kenya Airways) - overnight in Dubai - Atlanta (Delta) - New Orleans (Delta) - I was pretty happy with what they came up with.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
It took a good bit of patience to book it online (with minor assistance from Delta.com Tech Support), but I finally figured out a plan that worked.

For departure in late Feb 2009:

CLT-JFK (RJ with single class)
JFK-CDG (Air France A340 redeye in Biz)
3 nights in Paris
CDG-ZRH (Air France / CityJet. "Business Class" on an Avro RJ85.)
Train to Davos, Switzerland (2.5 hours)
5 or 6 nights in Davos for skiing
Train to Zurich
1 or 2 nights in Zurich
ZRH-ATL (Delta Coach 767-300ER)
ATL-CLT (Delta MD-88)

80K SkyMiles per ticket. "Low Price" the whole way.
$135.64 per ticket in taxes/fees including the $25 "Partner Airline Handling Charge."

ATL-ZRH direct only showed availability at the "Med Price" level for the outbound. A stopover in CDG is at no additional cost, so I decided to instead add an additional mini-vacation to our trip before skiing.

This plan for 5 nights in Davos is as a result of a Starwood Nights & Flights award that I booked to take advantage of transferring 40K points to Delta for the MaxMiles promo.

To book this with Coach on the return, I first found all of the availability that I needed in the right flights and classes. Then I booked the whole thing in Business class. Then I called Delta.com Tech Support to have them change the return flight to Coach.

An interesting sidenote is that this particular itinerary cannot be purchased on delta.com for cash because the Air France/CityJet CDG-ZRH flight cannot be purchased as a lone segment through Delta.com. I don't know if a Delta agent could offer it on the phone.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:21 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Booked two tickets last month for Oct 09

DAY-ATL(DL-F)
ATL-DTW (DL-F)
DTW-LHR (Biz Class NW)

LHR-DTW (Biz Class NW)
DTW-ATL(DL-F)
DAY-ATL(DL-F)

One extra stop than normal but all for 100K + $180 each

Cheers
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:30 am

BE Success

About a month ago, i was able to get 2 be tickets:
MCO to cvg
cvg to DTW
DTW to FRA

CDG to DTW
DTW to MCO

double stop on the way up - but for a be ticket, i will double connect!
Also, the DTW to FRA leg is on NW and the CDG to DTW is on Air france.

I couldnt find anything on DL metal

Has anyone had luck changing these tickets to a better itinerary with Delta?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by macinas

Has anyone had luck changing these tickets to a better itinerary with Delta?
I usually call every month or so to see what I can get. I have had some success that way.

If not, First and Biz is not really that bad.

Cheers
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:41 am

BHM - SUN march 09

this weekend I successfully booked 3 award tickets from Bham to SUN for some late season skiing. I was able to get the flights I wanted.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, AF
After many unsuccessful attempts to use the - badly broken - award calendar, I finally found two one ways to Berlin via JFK and CDG for 100k each, travel 11-25-09.

Most of the reps I spoke to (called every day to see if seats were released in Skysaver class) were totally useless and gave incorrect information (for example, telling me I had to book the international portion with one award and the domestic connection with another ) and I finally found one that was knowledgeable and helpful.

I will have to pay a $100 reissue fee when the return becomes available but I have time to play with that and can be flexible with dates and cities.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
ATL-EGE direct (which can get very pricey if you have to pay for it vs. flying into DEN) on 1/25-2/2 for the lowest 25k miles...thank you AMEX Gold card bonus.

That was until the merger was finalized, and a NW schedule became available for the return on Sunday, 2/1, so I bit the $100 change fee to save the extra vacation day.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:07 pm

Just booked a SkySaver award ticket for IAH-SJD in June 09. I simultaneously coordinated two award tickets using Skymiles and Continental OnePass. At first check on CO.com and DL.com both websites wanted more than the SkySaver 35K level. I then proceeded to NWA's Japan website (http://www.nwa.com/jp/en/home.html) to search availability. After playing with dates and seeing the available awards I was able to book the following

IAH-SJD CO#1452, SJD-MEX AM#489 MEX-IAH CO#1525

Unfortunately I could not get this to show up on DL.com so I had to call the awards desk and I got fleeced for the $20 phone fee and $25 partner airline fee.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello DL FTers,

I booked award travel in BE for SFO-CAI in mid-November.

Background: A friend, without MY permission, went ahead and bought coach ticket and then told me what he had done. What he was supposed to do is wait for me so I could my miles to get DL SFO-CAI and he would buy an upgradeable fare and I would use my miles to upgrade him. (It worked when we went to Israel two years ago.) But he was chomping at the bit and bought the tickets. Also what's compounding the situation is that I will be in Washington, DC the day before he flies. I don't feel like flying home just a couple of hours just to fly to Cairo.

That meant I needed to get on his flights. So I plugged in some dates. And got:

DCA-JFK-CAI on DL; and CAI-CDG-SFO on Air France all in business. I could have picked some flights that were 120,000 miles; but I liked these connections and we would be on the same return flight -- except I'm in row 3 and he's in row 43. I use 175,000. I was happy.

Also, what amazed me using Delta's website was that I could book award travel on OTHER Skymile carriers -- take that One World! -- and I got onto the Air France website and selected my seats!

I am really looking forward flying on Air France in business from Cairo to CDG and then CDG to SFO. I've ALWAYS had use to go through JFK, MIA, DFW, ORD when returning to SFO.

Thank you, Delta!

I'm impressed.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.