Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
The local brew is Genesee.
I remember its nickname: Jenny Screamer...
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by kipper
I like that idea!

If you ever venture out my way, you can join us for venison and some good beer.

Although, right now, we only have antelope, no deer.
Wow, that sounds really tempting. I've never tried antelope. I've vowed not to buy meat at the grocery store between now and when I move to Ohio. I have deer, red snapper, grouper, and triggerfish in the freezer that needs to be eaten.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Wow, that sounds really tempting. I've never tried antelope. I've vowed not to buy meat at the grocery store between now and when I move to Ohio. I have deer, red snapper, grouper, and triggerfish in the freezer that needs to be eaten.
If you have any deer in the freezer at your location near BWI, and you won't eat it before you move, I have room in my freezer.

Antelope has a sagey taste to it, so we typically use it in chili, stew, lasagna, things that we can either use the sage flavor or can minimize it with other flavors.

We did have some mule deer venison, but I think we consumed all of it.

After October, we should have more mule deer venison.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
You work too much! You need to take a break from work, and post on the aviation-related forums!
I can't. I have save for next vacation on December. We don't know when I can visit my brother again. He actually don't know when. I need more $$$$ for next trip. I save the money.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by mattp1987
This sounds like a delicious Clean-Out The Freezer Do!

Your vow not to buy meat reminded me of a phone call from a friend... her meat prices had just skyrocketed and she was furious. She hasn't bought meat other than fish in years. But that morning, her husband was caught with a couple extra ducks - over the limit. Seriously, who can't count single digit numbers? His son said he should lose his duck stamp & hunting license for a year, but he got off with just a fine. (& coworkers quacking at him every time he answered the phone for a few weeks).
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by scoow
This sounds like a delicious Clean-Out The Freezer Do!

Your vow not to buy meat reminded me of a phone call from a friend... her meat prices had just skyrocketed and she was furious. She hasn't bought meat other than fish in years. But that morning, her husband was caught with a couple extra ducks - over the limit. Seriously, who can't count single digit numbers? His son said he should lose his duck stamp & hunting license for a year, but he got off with just a fine. (& coworkers quacking at him every time he answered the phone for a few weeks).
I love that idea!

Sorry to hear about your friend's goof!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
God bless Wyoming for having an 80-mph speed limit!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I know Dovster would be interested (since there are plenty of students staying the summer), but if jackal is interested then I suppose he could come too.

The local brew is Genesee. DON'T drink it, it's worse than Keystone (except the cream ale has won awards, if you're into that). Rumor has it they use water from the river -- I saw a dead deer floating down that river once...

Yay!

-J.
Come on up!

I am in ROC and Genesee is one of the local brews. Too many micro-breweries now to count plus the wineries of the nearby Finger Lakes.

Genesee used "pure Hemlock Lake water" to brew. Hemlock is one of the western Finger Lakes and a city water reservoir. No truth to Genesee River water.

Cream Ale was good but the best, IMHO, was 12 Horse Ale.

In college, my nickname was Creamer for the vast amounts of Cream Ale I would devour.

Similar to Schlitz changing brewmasters, the old Genesee management changed staff in the 70's and it went down hill.

Currently, besides the Genesee products, they also contract to produce Sam Adams.

Another brewery here makes two local favorites - Caged Alpha Monkey IPA and MacBubba Scotch Ale.

However bad Genesee may have been at different times, it was still better than Iron City. Though you could get IC at $.89 a six pack.

Canarsie, remember Piels Wide Mouth bottles?

ROC is accessible on DL form ATL, JFK, LGA, DTW.

So come on up and we'll have a Beer DO. I'll buy the first round.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by jackal
God bless Wyoming for having an 80-mph speed limit!
And liquor barns!

Originally Posted by jackplum
Come on up!

I am in ROC and Genesee is one of the local brews. Too many micro-breweries now to count plus the wineries of the nearby Finger Lakes.

Genesee used "pure Hemlock Lake water" to brew. Hemlock is one of the western Finger Lakes and a city water reservoir. No truth to Genesee River water.

In college, my nickname was Creamer for the vast amounts of Cream Ale I would devour.

Similar to Schlitz changing brewmasters, the old Genesee management changed staff in the 70's and it went down hill.

Currently, besides the Genesee products, they also contract to produce Sam Adams.

Another brewery here makes two local favorites - Caged Alpha Monkey IPA and MacBubba Scotch Ale.

However bad Genesee may have been at different times, it was still better than Iron City. Though you could get IC at $.89 a six pack.

Wow, good info!

I've flown into and out of ROC plenty of times and I've learned to hate the incompetent DL (formerly NW) gate agents, particularly one woman with very long hair (like, floor-length long). The last time I was there was October 2012 (coincidentally, the weekend following my grandfather's funeral), but I was at U of R from 2009 to 2011.

I'm not sure what my schedule looks like yet for when I'm up there, but I'll let you know and maybe we can put something together

-J.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:22 pm

Come on up!

I assume I should see a 6-pack of Caged Alpha Monkey IPA on my porch later this week?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... However bad Genesee may have been at different times, it was still better than Iron City.
very true ... but it's a dubious distinction

Though you could get IC at $.89 a six pack.
you are dating yourself ... I was in Ithaca from Sep 71 thru Jun 76 and don't remember prices being that low

I would certainly consider mid Oct depending on the schedule of events in ITH
Old Jul 12, 2014, 9:23 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

I think so — I am not sure. I do remember Piels Light Beer, which was a great light beer at a great light price. Remember that jingle?

Anyway, I never was a drinker; I am just going by what other people said.

I do remember Rheingold and Ballantine beers...
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Is this the beer thread today? My contribution is that I had some homemade root beer today. It was delicious.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I do remember Rheingold and Ballantine beers...
Of course you remember Rheingold -- it sponsored the Brooklyn Dodgers (and, later, the New York Mets).

It also had the monthly Miss Rheingold contest -- probably the only election in New York City not fixed by Tammany Hall.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by Dovster
Of course you remember Rheingold -- it sponsored the Brooklyn Dodgers (and, later, the New York Mets).

It also had the monthly Miss Rheingold contest -- probably the only election in New York City not fixed by Tammany Hall.
What makes you think that election wasn't fixed? Or was it just fixed by a different group?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.