Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Dovster
Of course. I am always a gentleman.
That's not what I've heard.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by kipper
That's not what I've heard.
Those are merely rumors spread by scoow. I want to go on record here and now as never, once, having behaved improperly, rudely, or with improper sexual motivation with her.*

*1. This was clearly an oversight on my part, for which I will never forgive myself.

2. Nothing in that statement is to be construed as applying to her Sexy Sister-in-Law.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
You could always bring me an offering of beer when you arrive. I'm sure jackal wouldn't complain about having extra beer around, and probably wouldn't complain if it took me a while to pick up the beer from him. He'd just charge rent, I'm sure.
I wrote "my" state representative and state senator ("my" in quotes because I'm not a resident ) to complain about the silly alcohol laws here in PA. One had an assistant call me a month later to thank me for my note and say they are slowly making progress to the modern age, and the other had an assistant helpfully mail me a bunch of copies of the laws, contact info for the PLCB, and a handwritten note answering two of my complaints, stating that yes, as a new resident, I am allowed to bring wine with me if I reported it and paid a "small fee" per bottle, but no, I was not allowed to bring beer into the state in any circumstance.

So there is apparently no way for me to enjoy my beloved Alaskan White. Fortunately, enforcement of that law is pretty lacking.

Staying with a buddy (and fellow FTer, although he never comes around these parts ) in PIT, and we picked up a couple of six-packs of craft beer at the local bar last night. SHOCKED at the price. I actually just wanted to try some singles, not a whole six pack (I'm actually not a fan of the witbier I picked up a six-pack for, so now I have five more I have to figure out what to do with), but the stupid laws here mean you either have to buy a six-pack at inflated prices from a bar with a carry-out license or a case from a beer distributor. If the laws are supposed to prevent drunkenness, they are failing to do that, since all they do is force you to buy a higher quantity of beer than you want, which means you have to drink more than you want.

Supposedly the IGA market around the corner allows you to buy singles. No idea how they get around the law, but I might have to check it out...

And the wine selection at the state-owned stores (which is all there is) SUCKS. It's worse than a grocery store wine aisle.

Last edited by jackal; May 30, 2012 at 8:51 am
Old May 30, 2012, 9:05 am

Those are merely rumors spread by scoow. I want to go on record here and now as never, once, having behaved improperly, rudely, or with improper sexual motivation with her.*

*1. This was clearly an oversight on my part, for which I will never forgive myself.

2. Nothing in that statement is to be construed as applying to her Sexy Sister-in-Law.
See, you aren't a gentleman.
Originally Posted by jackal
I wrote "my" state representative and state senator ("my" in quotes because I'm not a resident ) to complain about the silly alcohol laws here in PA. One had an assistant call me a month later to thank me for my note and say they are slowly making progress to the modern age, and the other had an assistant helpfully mail me a bunch of copies of the laws, contact info for the PLCB, and a handwritten note answering two of my complaints, stating that yes, as a new resident, I am allowed to bring wine with me if I reported it and paid a "small fee" per bottle, but no, I was not allowed to bring beer into the state in any circumstance.

So there is apparently no way for me to enjoy my beloved Alaskan White. Fortunately, enforcement of that law is pretty lacking.

Staying with a buddy (and fellow FTer, although he never comes around these parts ) in PIT, and we picked up a couple of six-packs of craft beer at the local bar last night. SHOCKED at the price. I actually just wanted to try some singles, not a whole six pack (I'm actually not a fan of the witbier I picked up a six-pack for, so now I have five more I have to figure out what to do with), but the stupid laws here mean you either have to buy a six-pack at inflated prices from a bar with a carry-out license or a case from a beer distributor. If the laws are supposed to prevent drunkenness, they are failing to do that, since all they do is force you to buy a higher quantity of beer than you want, which means you have to drink more than you want.

Supposedly the IGA market around the corner allows you to buy singles. No idea how they get around the law, but I might have to check it out...

And the wine selection at the state-owned stores (which is all there is) SUCKS. It's worse than a grocery store wine aisle.
They are slowly making progress into the modern age, although it is very frustrating. You can buy singles out in PIT at several places, from a few Giant Eagle locations to carry-out shops catering to beer snobs. IIRC, there's a shop that has an amazing singles/six-pack selection near the airport, and one with a decent selection in Monroeville. In MDT, it's more difficult, although Wegman's sells singles, as do a few Giant and Weis locations.

I think being able to sell singles is done under the carry-out license somehow.

You need to check out the Premium Collection state stores. They usually have a larger selection, and can occasionally order wines they don't stock for you.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:13 am

You need to check out the Premium Collection state stores. They usually have a larger selection, and can occasionally order wines they don't stock for you.
Back when I lived in Pennsylvania (in the last century) the State Stores could order almost anything you wanted if you were willing to wait long enough.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back when I lived in Pennsylvania (in the last century) the State Stores could order almost anything you wanted if you were willing to wait long enough.
I need something for Wine Do this Sunday.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:19 am

Just stop wining and do it!
Old May 30, 2012, 10:23 am

They can be very challenging now, which is surprising to me. More and more people are calling for the liquor stores to be sold to private companies, and I would think the employees at said liquor stores would try to be extremely helpful to customers, figuring they might campaign to keep the liquor stores owned and operated by the state.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:48 am

They can be very challenging now, which is surprising to me. More and more people are calling for the liquor stores to be sold to private companies, and I would think the employees at said liquor stores would try to be extremely helpful to customers, figuring they might campaign to keep the liquor stores owned and operated by the state.
I lived in a small town -- (almost) one of those places where everybody knows each other - so the folks in our State Store may have been friendlier and more helpful than their compatriots in Philly or Pittsburgh.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
It's interesting to compare NB to QC in Canada, where easier accessibility but higher taxes are preferred.
(5+9.5% vs 13%)
In QC I was on the 40 and the Petro Canada was selling beer!
(Going from YMQ-YQB and I stopped for gas in 3 Rivieres)
Old May 30, 2012, 11:18 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Going from YMQ-YQB and I stopped for gas in 3 Rivieres
I have driven on that highway.

By having to follow 55, you are forced to “exit” 40 and “re-enter it” again in Trois-Rivičres.

It is annoying. I do not like that.
You should have thought about that back in 1986.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: DL, AA
I lived in a small town
I think you & I have different definitions of "small town".
Old May 30, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I have driven on that highway.

By having to follow 55, you are forced to “exit” 40 and “re-enter it” again in Trois-Rivičres.

It is annoying. I do not like that.You should have thought about that back in 1986.
I didn't like it either. The 20 had more traffic, though.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by scoow
I think you & I have different definitions of "small town".
In the 2010 census the population was 2,434 -- and it was considerably smaller when I left in 1979.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Canarsie
You should have thought about that back in 1986.
Is that a hint on a good vintage?

Maybe the state store can order wine through a time machine.

Or maybe the Chairman's Selection will have a great special on a library wine they've been holding in a secret cellar for the last 26 years...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.