Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Certificate: Can't use??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2024, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
I’ve had both DL PLAT and DL RESERVE certificates and perhaps counter-intuitively, it’s sometimes been easier to find I/Z fares than main cabin, sometimes even a few weeks out.

I’ve found it relatively easy to search what I want by scanning listed fares before entering the certificate link from Skymiles tab
Air Houston likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG DIaAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by flyer29
I'm trying to travel to Las Vegas in August. I thought 3 months in advance would be more than enough time to ensure availability.
You thought wrong. There are existing threads that you could read or could have read before making that assumption.

There may be new seats added to those classes, but there may not be. Vegas has conventions and concerts year round, and has become a less seasonal destination.

​​​​​I'm a little confused as to the stuff you're saying about vacation destinations. People tend to book vacation flights *farther* in advance then business travel
Old Apr 29, 2024, 9:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
I suggest using the "Flexible Dates" search.....could give you some options if you are flexible +/- 1/2 days or more! Good Luck!
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 6:24 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by flyer29
It doesn't expire until November. It looks like "availability" is not there.

Which I find incredibly unlikely given we're 3 months away. I feel like I've been duped with this. Yet another companion cert I won't be able to use.

Not going to renew Reserve and may actually switch airlines since my rollover is going away.
I've yet to have a companion cert go unused/expired. I book those flights, typically, at least 6 months out. Their utility comes down entirely to availability in the specific fare classes.
Adam1222 and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I have redeemed over 100+ certificates in the last decade. August is peak travel season and if you're looking for a Thursday/Sunday travel, DL is probably not booking below L to maximize revenue.

What is your routing and desired dates of travel? When the specific flights I want aren't available, I've had to adjust for routings and just kept an eye on it to see if any availability changed.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:33 am

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
If you have ExpertFlyer, you should be able to set alerts on your desired flights for L2, X2, T2, U2, and V2. I don't think it will account for married segment availability (which is important to take into account if you are connecting).
Old Apr 30, 2024, 7:17 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Perhaps they are marketed as ALL POWERFUL, but in reality the cert is an ok benefit (however with flexibility, some destinations do become available. I use mine almost every year for Key West. YMMV.

(I have the Platinum card,, so economy cabin,, but paid upgrades also offered)
I managed to use the SkyMiles Platinum certificate to get to Jackson Hole and back during peak July National Park time last year. It was like a $600 X fare bucket, but an X fare bucket nonetheless. (Covered the cash component of that one with an eCredit voucher I took in lieu of cash for an EU 261 claim in 2022.)
Old May 6, 2024, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
OP, Take a look today. I found wide open availability ORD-LAS for $360 - $414 econ many August dates. Same with DTW-LAS, same with ATL-LAS.

If you had provided origin, my results would be more relevant. But there is a TON of certificate inventory from DL Hubs to LAS during the month of August.

(Edit: Maybe this inventory is limited to DL Plat holders as a perk, since we got shafted from accessing SkyClubs)

Last edited by Bradhattan; May 6, 2024 at 2:40 pm
Old May 6, 2024, 3:05 pm

OP, Take a look today. I found wide open availability ORD-LAS for $360 - $414 econ many August dates. Same with DTW-LAS, same with ATL-LAS.

If you had provided origin, my results would be more relevant. But there is a TON of certificate inventory from DL Hubs to LAS during the month of August.

(Edit: Maybe this inventory is limited to DL Plat holders as a perk, since we got shafted from accessing SkyClubs)
Delta does not limit inventory due to status. They used to, but that ended many years ago.
Old May 6, 2024, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Delta does not limit inventory due to status. They used to, but that ended many years ago.
The Platinum reference is to the Platinum DL branded AMEX card, not status.
Old May 6, 2024, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The Platinum reference is to the Platinum DL branded AMEX card, not status.
Regardless, available inventory does not differ based on who the passenger is.

Where Delta does restrict inventory is based on routing. Search spoke-ATL-LAS and you will find substantially tighter inventory and higher prices.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Regardless, available inventory does not differ based on who the passenger is.

Where Delta does restrict inventory is based on routing. Search spoke-ATL-LAS and you will find substantially tighter inventory and higher prices.
I was joking about a "gift" only for DL Amex Plat holders! I was being snarky about losing access to Skyclub from holding that card.
Old May 7, 2024, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I have redeemed over 100+ certificates in the last decade. August is peak travel season and if you're looking for a Thursday/Sunday travel, DL is probably not booking below L to maximize revenue.

What is your routing and desired dates of travel? When the specific flights I want aren't available, I've had to adjust for routings and just kept an eye on it to see if any availability changed.
Now Im curious. 10+ companion certs in a yearwhat position are you in that you are the SkyMiles member listed on that many cards!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.