Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modern Airline Retailing - Delta style

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
On my most recent trip I got rerouted on very short notice (due to bad weather in NYC) from CLE-JFK-AMS-BHX to CLE-ATL-AMS-BHX, arriving at BHX about 4 hours later than I had originally scheduled. I was on a cheap coach bucket (T, I think). When I got rerouted, the fare bucket on the ATL-AMS-BHX was upgraded to Y by Delta (in fact, the Delta uniformed GA at gate F3 in ATL working the KLM flight apologized to me that he couldn't UG me but told me he had gotten me an economy comfort seat with the middle seat blocked out.

Over the years Delta has been good about letting me pick the new flight of my choice when they make schedule changes and not charging me for it.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
I’ve ran into the same issue of uninformed agents insisting that there must be availability in the same fare class. That’s simply not the case.

• Rebook the new flight in the same Class of Service; if same Class of Service is not available, the new flight may be rebooked in the same Cabin (Cabin to Cabin)
    • For Main Cabin fares - If the same Class of Service is not available, rebook in the next available class of service, up to Y Class
    • All other cabins – The new flight may be rebooked in the same Class of Service if available, or the next available class of service, same cabin
You can tell them to refer to policy, and if they don’t oblige, ask them to connect you to Global Ticketing Support.

While schedule changes are a pain, I’ve learned to use them to my advantage. When booking far out, book the cheapest ticket you can find, and when the inevitable schedule change occurs, re-book to your preferred flight at no additional cost!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
I’ve ran into the same issue of uninformed agents insisting that there must be availability in the same fare class. That’s simply not the case.

You can tell them to refer to policy, and if they don’t oblige, ask them to connect you to Global Ticketing Support.

While schedule changes are a pain, I’ve learned to use them to my advantage. When booking far out, book the cheapest ticket you can find, and when the inevitable schedule change occurs, re-book to your preferred flight at no additional cost!
Online I’ve been able to make free changes due to schedule changes of even one minute. However when online doesn’t work (around 30% of the time I get an error message) and I call in the agent won’t let me make an even exchange for schedule changes less than 90 minutes.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileageplus
To all: Success! Finally got an agent who knows the rules and she changed the flight so I have a shorter connection at JFK now. They used C class in place of Z and it was no additional charge.

Many thanks to all who responded.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by 1kprem
To all: Success! Finally got an agent who knows the rules and she changed the flight so I have a shorter connection at JFK now. They used C class in place of Z and it was no additional charge.

Many thanks to all who responded.
This is how it's supposed to work. When DL forces the schedule change the fare class no longer matters. I have found, in recent years, some CS agents don't know what they're doing. We just had an IROPS incident a couple of weeks ago where the agent didn't properly re-ticket a paid F itinerary and DL thought we had paid for Y. It took some back and forth with a more experienced CS agent, but we ended up getting it fixed and compensated for the hassle. DL used to be really good at these situations.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileageplus
I am happy for the outcome here. What bothers me about this type of situation is it's a core element of their business. Schedule changes happen and if they worked harder to make it a seamless and frictionless experience it would be a good thing.

I mean, it is the airlines who are all talking about "modern airline retailing" and yet they are sorely lacking when it comes to helping passengers manage their bookings online. Some airlines have the capability to facilitate changes online within policy parameters quite well, so it is not for lack of the tech piece. But some are just more interested in investing their money in developing new ways to sell more ancillary products. It's best to get the core part of the business working smoothly.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
This is how it's supposed to work. When DL forces the schedule change the fare class no longer matters. I have found, in recent years, some CS agents don't know what they're doing. We just had an IROPS incident a couple of weeks ago where the agent didn't properly re-ticket a paid F itinerary and DL thought we had paid for Y. It took some back and forth with a more experienced CS agent, but we ended up getting it fixed and compensated for the hassle. DL used to be really good at these situations.
Online a schedule change of one minute gives you the right to any same-cabin change within +/- 2 days. On the phone the agents I have dealt with have dug in their heels on 90-minute minimums. IROPS is different and agents will do whatever you want to get you where you need to go.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I learned years ago that no matter what airline I’m flying, that I need to check my reservation weekly, and as we get closer to the flight, daily.

While I have been notified of more schedule changes in advance than I’ve missed, I don’t trust their systems to keep me informed. At any airline.
ATOBTTR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.