Wiki Posts
Search

Modern Airline Retailing - Delta style

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileageplus
Modern Airline Retailing - Delta style

I booked two domestic first class tickets late January ,this year, for travel in July on the Delta app. I got the confirmation emails.

Tonight, in March, out of the blue, I get two emails from Delta saying " You're all set". It references those trips. I wonder, "set for what". Pray tell, why have they sent me the emails? No clue.

I check the times of the flights. I see changes. Big changes. Like from 2 hour connections to over 6 hour connections. Do I see any indication that I can seek some recourse? No.

So I go to the Delta.com website and I see some possible alternatives such as cancelling the flights, but only after I choose to dig into options.

Be it known, I was not alerted to a schedule change. No use of the words " there has been a change on your flights" was in their email. I did not receive any notice on my app. I did not receive anything. I did all the research on my own to discover the schedule change, which I suppose is their method of doing this. So it a life lesson to me about Delta since I don't fly Delta often.

So, in their modern retailing terms, is this how airlines are supposed to alert us on big schedule changes? I mean, I consider a more than 4 hour change a big change. And, fair enough, Delta will let me cancel for a full refund when I select the "cancel" option. But they are not telling me that up front. They only tell me when I investigate the cause of the emails I received and I happen to click cancel. It doesn't do me much good as alternatives on other carriers will cost me more.

I think it is not too small a request to ask that they email me that a schedule change has occurred. Display the original and new times. Then ask me if I want to continue or cancel rather than just reissue the ticket (which is what they did) and tell me " you're all set". If this is the new "modern" way of airline retailing, please take me back in time to when schedule changes were prominently displayed.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Thus far, I have received an email from Delta regarding any larger schedule change, the most recent one a few weeks ago, with the old and new schedule. Might it be possible that an email from Delta ended up in your spam folder or so? Or maybe I am just lucky?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHXflier
Thus far, I have received an email from Delta regarding any larger schedule change, the most recent one a few weeks ago, with the old and new schedule. Might it be possible that an email from Delta ended up in your spam folder or so? Or maybe I am just lucky?
I thought so, too. Nope, no email communication in my junk/spam folder. Nada. Nothing.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:05 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
OP: Are there alternate flights that would work better? If so, call Delta and ask to be put on those new flights as a result of Delta’s schedule change. You shouldn’t be charged if the new flights are closer to the timing of your old flights.

Hopefully decent seats are still available if new flights are an option.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:15 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
FWIW, I just received three emails for July schedule changes where I was kept on the essentially same flight. The schedule change was 4 days ago.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtwtransport
OP: Are there alternate flights that would work better? If so, call Delta and ask to be put on those new flights as a result of Delta’s schedule change. You shouldn’t be charged if the new flights are closer to the timing of your old flights.

Hopefully decent seats are still available if new flights are an option.
The only thing I can hope for is if they reroute me to Miami (original route was to FLL). There is a flight via DTW around the same time. I'll report back. I really dislike Miami, but it beats a 6 hour layover at JFK.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 1kprem
The only thing I can hope for is if they reroute me to Miami (original route was to FLL). There is a flight via DTW around the same time. I'll report back. I really dislike Miami, but it beats a 6 hour layover at JFK.
What is your origin and travel dates that you're seeing such limited rebooking options for July? DL will provide you a "free" (even) exchange to a new schedule and will even allow you to flex travel days +/- 2 days for an even exchange (no fare difference) and will also allow you to flex between nearby airports for origin and destination, within reason. You can even do this via "Change Flight" and you should see "$0" in the fare (or if the new flight is cheaper, you'll even see the difference returned as an e-credit). If changing origin and/or destination, you may need to call and have an agent work it or the website may allow it. Just depends. And while this may be stressful to you now, this can be a good thing if you look at it in that you can change to whatever flight you now want for $0. This is especially beneficial if you booked a less convenient/preferred flight initially because of it being way cheaper.
​​
I thought so, too. Nope, no email communication in my junk/spam folder. Nada. Nothing.
Many spam folders automatically delete stuff sent to the spam folder after 30 days. It might be possible something was sent to you, went to your spam folder, and was deleted before you ever saw it. That said, I will also admit there are times that I either don't receive email notifications about schedule changes or I notice the change via "My Trips" and manage the change before a notification is ever sent to me. It has been noted that DL prioritizes sending out notifications to flights that are closer in to give priority to those itineraries that are closer in.

As a heads-up, DL uploads schedule changes every Saturday so it pays to check your itineraries every week or two to see if there any tweaks or major changes. Yes, it "sucks" that this is the way it is but I've found it to be similar with AA and UA where I've noticed schedule changes by checking "My Trips" before receiving any notification from the airline via email. As an additional note, given that I received schedule changes for flights in May this past weekend, you can still possibly expect to see changes for flights in July over the next couple months.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's what they look like. I haven't gotten them the last few flight changes, but I suspect it is due to the fact I caught them before they sent out the emails on Mon/Tue and clicked on "Accept Changes" before they were sent.

happydad100 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 27, 2024 at 8:42 pm
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
What is your origin and travel dates that you're seeing such limited rebooking options for July? DL will provide you a "free" (even) exchange to a new schedule and will even allow you to flex travel days +/- 2 days for an even exchange (no fare difference) and will also allow you to flex between nearby airports for origin and destination, within reason. You can even do this via "Change Flight" and you should see "$0" in the fare (or if the new flight is cheaper, you'll even see the difference returned as an e-credit). If changing origin and/or destination, you may need to call and have an agent work it or the website may allow it. Just depends. And while this may be stressful to you now, this can be a good thing if you look at it in that you can change to whatever flight you now want for $0. This is especially beneficial if you booked a less convenient/preferred flight initially because of it being way cheaper.
​​

Many spam folders automatically delete stuff sent to the spam folder after 30 days. It might be possible something was sent to you, went to your spam folder, and was deleted before you ever saw it. That said, I will also admit there are times that I either don't receive email notifications about schedule changes or I notice the change via "My Trips" and manage the change before a notification is ever sent to me. It has been noted that DL prioritizes sending out notifications to flights that are closer in to give priority to those itineraries that are closer in.

As a heads-up, DL uploads schedule changes every Saturday so it pays to check your itineraries every week or two to see if there any tweaks or major changes. Yes, it "sucks" that this is the way it is but I've found it to be similar with AA and UA where I've noticed schedule changes by checking "My Trips" before receiving any notification from the airline via email. As an additional note, given that I received schedule changes for flights in May this past weekend, you can still possibly expect to see changes for flights in July over the next couple months.
I am in Z class and they require Z class to be available, which it is not for any of the flights in July that I explored. I checked the Delta schedule last weekend and it was fine, so the schedule change occurred within the last few days. There were no alerts in my Delta app and I am set up for all notices from Delta, nor in my email or spam.

I do have the option to get the ticket refunded. Better options on other airlines are available and it will cost me $300 per ticket more. Yes, I have found UA and AA to be similar. It does suck, as you say. But I do look at the apps and the bookings quite often, out of habit.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You do not require the same fare class to be available to make a change after your itinerary was impacted by a schedule change.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I am in Z class and they require Z class to be available, which it is not for any of the flights in July that I explored.
It is not correct that fare class has to be available for a schedule change. If the website is trying to charge you a fare difference then you may need to call.

I checked the Delta schedule last weekend and it was fine, so the schedule change occurred within the last few days. There were no alerts in my Delta app and I am set up for all notices from Delta, nor in my email or spam.
Then as noted previously it may be that DL hasn't alerted you because the system was prioritizing sending out alerts to those whose itineraries are closer in. This is designed to prevent people who get with a schedule change 9 months from now calling at the same time as those who are adjusting their flights for a schedule change much closer in. Not saying you have to like it or agree with it, but that's how it works and why many of us check our itineraries for updates every Saturday/Sunday after DL loads schedule updates.

I do have the option to get the ticket refunded. Better options on other airlines are available and it will cost me $300 per ticket more. Yes, I have found UA and AA to be similar. It does suck, as you say. But I do look at the apps and the bookings quite often, out of habit.
Again, this should not be the case. You should be able to switch to any itinerary that day. Look at the current list of flights, identify your preferred flight with any seats for sale in that cabin (you do not have to worry about fare bucket) and call DL to request the change if the website won't allow you to make the change.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Update: My Delta schedule change email came in at 509PM today. So the reissued the ticket arrived yesterday saying "I'm all set" and today I get the email noting my schedule has been changed (referring to the changes from my original booking that were on the ticket they reissued yesterday). In other words, they sent the emails out of order.

I contacted Delta. They reiterated their policy is the new flights have to be in the same booking inventory (Z). The ones I want are not available in Z. So I will likely cancel the Delta flights and rebook for the higher cost on another airline.

Last edited by 1kprem; Mar 27, 2024 at 7:41 pm
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
You do not require the same fare class to be available to make a change after your itinerary was impacted by a schedule change.
Delta says it must be the same fare inventory. They refused to change my flight. I will rebook on another airline as they are allowing me to refund the ticket in full.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Delta says it must be the same fare inventory. They refused to change my flight. I will rebook on another airline as they are allowing me to refund the ticket in full.
There is something missing here and/or you were assisted by a poorly trained and misinformed agent. Are you trying to change from a connection to a non-stop, changing dates, or airports that could be adding complexity? Is this a cash or miles itinerary? Basic economy fare?

When you call you sometimes have to clearly state that Delta changed the schedule of my flights (don’t start with “I’d like/need to change my flights…”).

I would say something like “Delta changed the times of my flights and the new times do not work for me. I found other Delta flights that better align with my original flight times before Delta changed the schedule…”).

Was the agent aware of the schedule change? I am sorry this is your experience. I’ve only had one instance where I had to remind the agent that I was not paying more for fare class nonsense since my call and request for new flight times was the result of a Delta-initiated schedule change.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
You don't need to dig around for Z availability. They'll put you in full fare J, just call, and HUCA if necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.