Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to 'pilot' elimination of Sky Club customer service desks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to 'pilot' elimination of Sky Club customer service desks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are a bunch of SCs where you enter into a small vestibule downstairs and there's an elevator and stairs leading up to the main level: SFO, SEA, one in ATL (I don't mean Centerpoint where the escalator and elevators are outside of the lounge). I don't think the reception desks to validate admission credentials were ever downstairs in these places. The big new SC at MSP G is similar, but the entry area seems bigger even though the entry desks are upstairs (with a lot of wasted space).

BTW, a big problem I have with the idea of roaming customer service agents is that there's no verifiable way to follow a "first come, first serve" policy. You can never see where you are in any line, even if they would somehow take service requests electronically and have a roaming agent somehow come to find you. You also don't see when there's a long and very slow line so that you can make an informed decision regarding whether to go to the gate or a customer service station outside of the SC.
wrp96 and ohhleary like this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 26, 2024 at 9:38 am Reason: Added second paragraph.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
No more help desks at LAX skyClub
20 employees hanging around who redirected me to either the gate (they had the wrong one on their iPhone/ipad) or the desk in the terminal
I guess DL will start drastically reduce the lounge personnel given they’re just standing there unable to help. They even seemed surprised I asked as if there was never a desk
Lined up in the service desks and the poor sole overwhelmed employee was capable of getting me only the most basic info and redirected me to the Diamond desk for rebooking etc
Amazing enhancement
The link refers to the new LAX club, wonder if the older T2 club still has a service desk.

David
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I made sure to make a remark to the SkyClub manager on duty.
I doubt it's even worth an email these days but if anyone wants to share their thoughts, here's the clown in charge:

Claude Roussel Vice president Sky Club and lounge experience at Delta Air Lines
[email protected]
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are a bunch of SCs where you enter into a small vestibule downstairs and there's an elevator and stairs leading up to the main level: SFO, SEA, one in ATL (I don't mean Centerpoint where the escalator and elevators are outside of the lounge). I don't think the reception desks to validate admission credentials were ever downstairs in these places. The big new SC at MSP G is similar, but the entry area seems bigger even though the entry desks are upstairs (with a lot of wasted space).

BTW, a big problem I have with the idea of roaming customer service agents is that there's no verifiable way to follow a "first come, first serve" policy. You can never see where you are in any line, even if they would somehow take service requests electronically and have a roaming agent somehow come to find you. You also don't see when there's a long and very slow line so that you can make an informed decision regarding whether to go to the gate or a customer service station outside of the SC.
The JFK B30 Sky Club does - or at least use to - have a kiosk to queue for support agents. I can envision something like that being used where the support desks are removed.
T-15.01 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Was at LGA tonight. The desks are completely stripped; even the scanners to scan your boarding pass are physically removed. Doesn’t look good. I made sure to make a remark to the SkyClub manager on duty.
I was just getting ready to post the same after visiting the LGA club today. No one really roaming around and signs just say use the app or chat or call. So much for Skyclub service. To be honest I wish things would go back to the old model. The food is nothing really special anymore.. To be honest I think they've cut back on quality at the LGA sky club since it first opened. Probably the idea was to start things off truly premium then drop it down once the buzz had settled down.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Send in complaints... only way that DL will get the message.
ohhleary likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:23 pm

Reducing access and reducing services...a bad combination.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:58 am

Shareholders be like “delta’s gonna save $4 million a year on these cuts! Yahooooooi!!!!!”
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
This seems bogus. If space is short at the new LAX club, they could rearrange the downstairs entry area to make room for a desk.

If I need an agent, then I just walk around the club looking for the wandering agents?

David
This is sooooooo not about space. This is about eliminating people and cost.
Spiff, rylan, Ascii and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:40 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by wanderingtheearth
Reducing access and reducing services...a bad combination.
Maybe this is Delta's latest attempt to reduce crowding. Keep stripping away services, and then eventually people will stop coming. They can speed it up by going back to cheese cubes and hummus as the only food options, if they wanted.

Anyone remember NWA's shelf-stable cheese debacle? If I looked hard enough, I probably have one laying around here somewhere.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by james318
Maybe this is Delta's latest attempt to reduce crowding. Keep stripping away services, and then eventually people will stop coming. They can speed it up by going back to cheese cubes and hummus as the only food options, if they wanted.

Anyone remember NWA's shelf-stable cheese debacle? If I looked hard enough, I probably have one laying around here somewhere.
I do indeed remember the fake cheese, but I never thought that it was so bad when consumed with those good sesame seed whole wheat crackers. I liked that everything packaged. No concerns about people touching everything with their unwashed hands.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:59 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I do indeed remember the fake cheese, but I never thought that it was so bad when consumed with those good sesame seed whole wheat crackers. I liked that everything packaged. No concerns about people touching everything with their unwashed hands.
I miss those crackers! And you are right, when combined the two worked well. But what I miss most is the Spinzels served on the planes.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hey, nothing wrong with the bowl of healthy veggies that used to be in the fridge next to the fake cheese... until I saw somebody stick their bare hand right in, dig around, and grab a fistful of carrots.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
TBF, as a AAdmirals Club member, I've been told that "it's quicker to call the elite line" or "go to the gate" as AA has stripped away a lot of what the CS agents can do in the lounge. And this wasn't just in LAX or SNA, but in DFW, ORD and DCA. And half of the time, I'll know about IRROPS quicker than the agents on the ground, so I'll be on the phone, and stand in line, so that my bets are hedged.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The desks are gone at LGA and replaced with 16 seats. There’s a sign telling people to use the app and a QR code that directs people to Delta chat, which is proof that the idiots who made this decision are absolutely clueless about the value of Skyclub help desks.

Two people asked a Skyclub worker what happened to the help desks while I was there. She told them both to write in and complain. I suggest we all do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.