Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to 'pilot' elimination of Sky Club customer service desks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond

Anyone else exhausted by the constant worsening of the Delta experience?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-air-lines-eliminates-customer-service-sky-clubs-trial/
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ascii
Anyone else exhausted by the constant worsening of the Delta experience?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...y-clubs-trial/
All so they can add a few extra seats. Like that will make all the difference.
Ben7 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:43 am

More than the seats, it's the total compensation savings from all those staff positions.
dw, hockeystl, ebayj and 14 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:35 am

Race to the bottom! I remember long ago being able to walk around and find a gate agent who could help you, but that hasn't been true for years. I suppose they're getting the brand ready to attractive to be sold to Norwegian?
DrMilano and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:46 am

They are trying to kick us all out of the SkyClubs anyhow.
DTWflyer, pofriri, flyerCO and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by shoodawg
More than the seats, it's the total compensation savings from all those staff positions.
The staff will still be around, at least for now. However they'll be "mobile."
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The staff will still be around, at least for now. However they'll be "mobile."
Does anyone think that will last long-term? I predict these agents will be hard to find (whether due to their mobile nature, decreased staffing, or a few bad apples shirking work) which will show up in metrics as "decreased demand," meaning those positions can be eliminated "in response to customer preference" to use self-service options.
uanj, CPMaverick, ohhleary and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
One of the major perks and huge draws of the club to me is that there are agents who are able to work flight issues if needed. While I don't use this often, if there are situations of flight delays/irops It is a significant benefit to have a service desk and agents who can help answer questions, look into things (like why a flight is delayed, where it is coming from, crew issues), and protect me on other flights or rebook. In fact if there are irops I would normally head right for the club service desk since it is a much better experience with more helpful, knowledgeable agents and much shorter wait instead of being dumped in a massive helpdesk line in the terminal.

The loss of that would definitely make the club less attractive and not something I would be paying for.
Sorry but a 'mobile device' isn't going to have the functionality and easy of use for agents who could sit at a terminal and get into the system and look up things, especially using DLTerm which I'm sure won't be available on a 'mobile device' and is necessary for many rebookings and flight backup protections.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I agree long term likely they go away, or become remote video type. What bothers me is the club agents are knowledgeable at things like rebooking onto other carriers.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:15 am
Original Poster

I agree long term likely they go away, or become remote video type. What bothers me is the club agents are knowledgeable at things like rebooking onto other carriers.
Completely agree. They are also incredibly helpful when the gate, Need Help?, and phone agents are overwhelmed due to weather events.
rylan, MSPeconomist, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Start writing in NOW to complain. I did. this was my template:

Hello; I'm writing in to register my disappointment in the fact that Delta is piloting a program to remove dedicated SkyClub agents at rebooking desks from LAX and LGA. Delta has already worsened the SkyClub experience by severely restricting access and then expecting us to pay even more. Removing some of your top-line agents and replacing them with "mobile" agents who will only be able to work off of a mobile device will significantly cheapen the experience. Many of the biggest benefits with having dedicated agents at specific computers and locations in the club are that they have access to more in-depth rebooking and IROPS tools that a mobile device won't have. While I understand this may be part of Delta's way to reduce club crowding by making the club a less attractive place to be, it certainly means I won't be spending money on a club membership that continues to increase in price for a less premium experience.
pofriri, Armani, kavok and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
The whole “roaming agents” concept doesn’t make sense. If I am in an IROPS situation, I am going straight to an agent (unless I can do it myself via the App). And if I can’t do it via the App, then there is obviously a reason I need to speak to an agent. Obviously having experienced agents with less wait is a huge incentive of the SkyClub.

But what I am definitely not doing is just sitting around in a club somewhere feeling sorry and not doing anything… and just hoping some agent will randomly approach me and ask if I need help. If there is no agent desk or line in the club, then I am on the phone or (worst case) in the main line with everyone else.

To be fair, I don’t know the details of the mobile agent. If it’s similar to the sky club showers, where you put your name in a virtual queue and then someone comes to you on your turn, I suppose functionally it’s not much different than standing in line. Hoping for the best.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:12 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
#KeepDecending. Next maybe they’ll bring back agents only for those who spend $150K on their Reserve/AMEX Platinum as a new “enhancement.”
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
#KeepDecending. Next maybe they’ll bring back agents only for those who spend $150K on their Reserve/AMEX Platinum as a new “enhancement.”
I cancsee it now.

Can't rebook online? No AMEX? We'll assist you for a low fee of $50 per rebooking. Note, if your rebooked flight has IROPS, you'll need to pay again.
DTWflyer and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 1:01 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I cancsee it now.

Can't rebook online? No AMEX? We'll assist you for a low fee of $50 per rebooking. Note, if your rebooked flight has IROPS, you'll need to pay again.
Hey- let's not forget that in those ridiculous surveys that went out a few weeks ago, some of the fare options included fees for speaking to a phone agent!
DTWflyer, Ascii and Pianoman109876 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.