Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to 'pilot' elimination of Sky Club customer service desks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to 'pilot' elimination of Sky Club customer service desks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of the pictures show a lot of wasted space for customer service agents and their work spaces, but the SCs I know best don't look like this. MSP C has a lot of wasted space in the entry area, with two high counter service areas, but recently only one has been used. [Formerly they did separate entry and customer service requests between the two areas.] MSP F also has some space wasted in the entry area, but the oval entry reception desks (standing) don't take much space and there's one such additional oval standing desk that's used for a dedicated customer service agent. [In the past, MSP F has two service counters, one for admission and one for customer service.] The big center lounge at DTW has always done entry downstairs (where they have a few lounge chairs, presumably for people to meet those being guested into the lounge) and a standing counter upstairs for customer service functions (including allocation of showers) with a bit of wasted space around the escalators.

In fact, the only lounge I recall where people sit down for customer service would be the longhaul KLM lounge at AMS, where there's an entry reception counter and customer service desks behind this area.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some of the pictures show a lot of wasted space for customer service agents and their work spaces, but the SCs I know best don't look like this. MSP C has a lot of wasted space in the entry area, with two high counter service areas, but recently only one has been used. [Formerly they did separate entry and customer service requests between the two areas.] MSP F also has some space wasted in the entry area, but the oval entry reception desks (standing) don't take much space and there's one such additional oval standing desk that's used for a dedicated customer service agent. [In the past, MSP F has two service counters, one for admission and one for customer service.] The big center lounge at DTW has always done entry downstairs (where they have a few lounge chairs, presumably for people to meet those being guested into the lounge) and a standing counter upstairs for customer service functions (including allocation of showers) with a bit of wasted space around the escalators.

In fact, the only lounge I recall where people sit down for customer service would be the longhaul KLM lounge at AMS, where there's an entry reception counter and customer service desks behind this area.
IIRC, DTW used to have check-in upstairs. They did a big remodel of that SC back around the time of the pandemic, where they moved the check-in downstairs and completely redesigned the buffet area. (Unless I'm completely mixing up clubs in my head.)
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:53 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Last week at MCO the agent couldn't even change my seat assignment (and it was 3.5 hours before departure, so not under airport control yet). I used the text service instead and got it changed in less than 2 minutes.

So, as much as I have nostalgia for the excellent customer service I've received from SkyClub agents in the past, I'm not sure that world exists anymore.

Free range agents sound a lot more humane as well!
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Originally Posted by rylan
I guess it depends on the club and agents. In BOS I've had excellent experiences especially with some of the senior agents that've been there a long time. They've called down to the gate for me when I had questions about delays or even to change a seat when the seatmap was locked out for gate control, and helped with numerous irops rebookings.
MOST of the agent's are good in the BOS Sky Clubs, but there are some now who I do not think have a clue....not sure how they got the option of working the Sky Club (I guess seniority)

Last edited by WyomingBound; Mar 25, 2024 at 3:37 pm Reason: Left Something Out
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:47 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chipbennett
IIRC, DTW used to have check-in upstairs. They did a big remodel of that SC back around the time of the pandemic, where they moved the check-in downstairs and completely redesigned the buffet area. (Unless I'm completely mixing up clubs in my head.)
The DTW SC had the entry reception desk downstairs long before the pandemic.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:59 pm

I must be thinking of a different club? I distinctly remember a club where you went up the escalator directly to the check-in desk.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Which one?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WyomingBound
MOST of the agent's are good in the BOS Sky Clubs, but there are some now who I do not think have a clue....not sure how they got the option of working the Sky Club (I guess seniority)
Yes, you're right... there is one agent that I've seen over the past year and is generally unhelpful and has said I can do that online or have to call... and the agent next to her overheard this and offered to help and took care of my issue in a couple minutes.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:43 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Wow, I think I just experienced this.

I'm at LAX SC and am waiting for my inbound from IAH. It's been circling for a while on the ground so I found a roving agent to see who it is waiting on. I looked at the departure board and flightstats to see if I could figure it out but couldn't.

The agent, who was friendly, only had access to the Delta app. Nothing else. Most times I could see what flight it is waiting on.

If this is the level of service I have to look forward to, I'm not optimistic. I can use the DL app .
Spiff and ohhleary like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
What I don't understand is - why pilot this at LAX? Every time I've been at the LAX SC there have been pax sitting at those desks getting help. And the times I've needed assistance there has always been a wait. These aren't unused desks. Why not pilot it at some place like SEA that has that desk on the side that I rarely ever see pax at.
DenverBrian and firemandan9 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Was at LGA tonight. The desks are completely stripped; even the scanners to scan your boarding pass are physically removed. Doesn’t look good. I made sure to make a remark to the SkyClub manager on duty.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
No more help desks at LAX skyClub
20 employees hanging around who redirected me to either the gate (they had the wrong one on their iPhone/ipad) or the desk in the terminal
I guess DL will start drastically reduce the lounge personnel given they’re just standing there unable to help. They even seemed surprised I asked as if there was never a desk
Lined up in the service desks and the poor sole overwhelmed employee was capable of getting me only the most basic info and redirected me to the Diamond desk for rebooking etc
Amazing enhancement
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Which one?
The big center SC at DTW, IIRC near gate A40.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:58 am

The airlines are absolutely going to hammer the "something for nothing" concept. Status is the ultimate target here and I am sure that DL knows that going to a completely revenue based model is their end goal. I wouldn't be surprised to see DL move status to a quarterly determination requiring flights and spend quarterly rather than the annual race they have now. I imagine the D1 lounges will have agents. And food. And good stuff. But for people who want that experience on a coach spend? DL will tell you to pound sand.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:21 am

The big center SC at DTW, IIRC near gate A40.
Yep. A38. And now I'm racking my brain trying to figure out which other SC I am confusing the entrance with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.