Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Downgrade from domestic F due to rotten stench.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade from domestic F due to rotten stench.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:45 pm

Just curious, how was this smell Not offensive to seat C/D
or row 3/5?
hockeystl likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kerrirdh
or row 3/5?
It was very localized lol. I don't really know. 4A was definitely the worst by a lot. 4B (me) was bad. By the aisle, there was no smell. I think nobody would accept the stink level in 4A. There may be a madman out there that would have accepted 4Bs stink level but if guess 90% or more would not. And to be clear all delta staff completely agreed. It was nasty.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
It was very localized lol. I don't really know. 4A was definitely the worst by a lot. 4B (me) was bad. By the aisle, there was no smell. I think nobody would accept the stink level in 4A. There may be a madman out there that would have accepted 4Bs stink level but if guess 90% or more would not. And to be clear all delta staff completely agreed. It was nasty.
amazing t me the smell would not spread further... guess thats a good thing!!! Lol
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:00 pm

Someone had blown a ghastly fart?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:28 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I don't know why Delta couldn't clean it properly. I was on a JetBlue flight once where someone was sick and vomited three rows ahead of me. They offloaded the pax and sent in cleaners with a carpet cleaning machine and three different chemicals. By the time they were done, not only was there no smell, the stain (really just a wet spot left at that point) was almost unnoticable, and was completely dry and gone by mid-flight.
pt360 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I just got off the phone with Delta. I was given the fare difference plus $200 as others have said. Kind of a bummer since the last time I was downgraded on UA, it was an award flight and they gave me $1,000 for DEN-ORD plus a portion of the miles I used for the J DEN-ORD-Europe flight. But on that particular occasion, it was the gate agent who gave us $1k (both my wife and I each) and that was because they didn't get any volunteers to take a downgrade so have gave us the max offer and made us take it. That was a simple metal swap too... not vomit related.

One oddity was that I have no faith it will actually work. The first person I talked to said they were brand new and they were not able to give me a voucher for $200 so the transferred me and I immediately got dropped. The guy called me back and transferred me again, this time I go someone that gave me the voucher after undoing everything he had done but she wasn't able to really pin down was the fare difference would actually be. Oh well.
The situation wasn't the same, so I think it would have been crazy for DL to give you a $1,000 credit. However, in my experience, UA is far more generous than DL when it comes to giving compensation, especially if you book United First or Polaris.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
The situation wasn't the same, so I think it would have been crazy for DL to give you a $1,000 credit. However, in my experience, UA is far more generous than DL when it comes to giving compensation, especially if you book United First or Polaris.
You're right. In the end, it wasn't that serious. I lived and I made it to my hotel. Oh well.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And you won't even remember it a year from now, when your voucher expires.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
And you won't even remember it a year from now, when your voucher expires.
lol true. Funny story though. I just got off SIN-MNL on SQ and the J seat wouldn't recline. They tried reseting it to no avail. They moved me directly across the aisle and I used that seat for the last 2 hours instead. Purser came to me apologizing and offered 150 SGD as a voucher. I was not expecting anything since it literally didn't bother me at all. She asked if I would fly with SQ in the next year. I said probably not so instead she let me pick out anything from the duty free menu instead lol. Just an interesting difference in service culture between airlines. In my opinion, I wasn't even due anything since it wasn't like I was in any way inconvenienced.
dmarge18 and pt360 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
You're right. In the end, it wasn't that serious. I lived and I made it to my hotel. Oh well.
I would have been upset too if I had experienced your situation, but at the same time, DL isn't very generous these days.

lol true. Funny story though. I just got off SIN-MNL on SQ and the J seat wouldn't recline. They tried reseting it to no avail. They moved me directly across the aisle and I used that seat for the last 2 hours instead. Purser came to me apologizing and offered 150 SGD as a voucher. I was not expecting anything since it literally didn't bother me at all. She asked if I would fly with SQ in the next year. I said probably not so instead she let me pick out anything from the duty free menu instead lol. Just an interesting difference in service culture between airlines. In my opinion, I wasn't even due anything since it wasn't like I was in any way inconvenienced.
SQ is a leading 5-star airline and they understand the need to keep your F and J passengers happy since SQ's fares are often much higher than those of pathetic U.S. carriers that just don't care about passengers since they know that their superhubs protect them and anti-competitive tactics let them get away with murder.
omghaxcode likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:48 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Kerrirdh
or row 3/5?
I can't believe I'm about to link to a facebook video, but here's a facebook video (http://www.facebook.com/airbus/video...2008560615125/) from Airbus that includes an animation showing cabin airflow. Basically air flows from the ceiling near the center of the cabin down and then outward under the seats towards the frame. This happens roughly at each row. So basically if the source of the odor was at 4A near the floor, the airflow would be moving away from pretty much everyone else.

(I don't think this varies that much between Airbus and Boeing.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.