Wiki Posts
Search

Options to waive checked baggage fee?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Options to waive checked baggage fee?

Are there any other good options to waive checked baggage fees for Delta domestic travel? I finally managed to burn my stash of remaining SkyMiles flying on DL metal from Alaska to NYC 1 way but need to check 3 bags -- ~$35*3 = $105 in fees.

I am no longer eligible for the Delta Skymiles Gold card, personal or business...life time language. Tried to apply and AMEX gave me the warning that I won't get the bonus. Not sure if it is worth the credit card pull to get the card just to waive bag fees only w/o getting the bonus, that is really maximize and optimizing.

AMEX Platinum card, the math just doesn't work for me personally.

I am targeted for an AMEX Business Gold, do they still have the annual $100 statement credit for airline fees? I didn't notice it on the marketing promo material.

Note, I know this is a 1st world problem so no rants necessary please.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:26 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Do you have status? Are you traveling alone or with companions?

If not, the CC only gets you one bag. The bag fee also escalates for each additional bag.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

No DL Status

Originally Posted by emma dog
Do you have status? Are you traveling alone or with companions?

If not, the CC only gets you one bag. The bag fee also escalates for each additional bag.
Sorry, no Delta or Sky Team status what so ever. Any hotel partners?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:11 pm

If your bag can get through security (no huge liquids) you can check it at the gate for free.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah, with no status and no Delta credit card, only way is if you buy up to first you get 2 bags at 70lbs... So maybe you could check two and carry on one then. Otherwise, your math is incorrect as price goes up quickly with more bags.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/overview
1st bag = $35
2nd bag = $45
3rd bag = $150
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:51 pm

Sounds like it would probably be cheaper to just ship your bags via USPS Ground Advantage or UPS Ground, OP.
benfro6 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah, with no status and no Delta credit card, only way is if you buy up to first you get 2 bags at 70lbs... So maybe you could check two and carry on one then. Otherwise, your math is incorrect as price goes up quickly with more bags.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/overview
1st bag = $35
2nd bag = $45
3rd bag = $150
My bad on the math. There are 3 of us traveling w/ 1 checked bag a piece.

We might be able to reduce from 3 pieces to 2 but with packing in layers for Alaska not sure how we stuff it all into a carry on.

Thanks for the quick responses all.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:11 pm

With 3 passengers, your math was correct. You just didn’t have that detail until now.

You can get a gold card without a bonus… or if you’re churning, then select something you’re eligible for. I guess only you know if PLT or Reserve are worth it for you (I’m guessing not).
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
My bad on the math. There are 3 of us traveling w/ 1 checked bag a piece.

We might be able to reduce from 3 pieces to 2 but with packing in layers for Alaska not sure how we stuff it all into a carry on.

Thanks for the quick responses all.
Is one of the other two passengers traveling with you a credit-worthy adult?
Firstboss likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:52 pm

Wear as many of those layers as you can stand onto the plane. Thermal underwear, fleece, down parka, rain boots, wool hat, mittens... If you get too hot, just open the window.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:04 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Either check your bags or carry them on. But for $200 for a trip that was otherwise "free", just pay it.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by seattlebruce
Wear as many of those layers as you can stand onto the plane. Thermal underwear, fleece, down parka, rain boots, wool hat, mittens... If you get too hot, just open the window.
That feature is only available on Alaska Airlines.

too soon?
Old Apr 6, 2024, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Folks, thanks for the all the feedback. Got lucky and got targeted and approved for an AMEX Business Platinum and I think i can make the numbers work to offset that crazy annual fee for this card (at least for 1 year). I will designate Delta for the remainder of this year and use that $200 towards the baggage fee.

Sidebar question: I assume I can't get the kids into the MSP Sky Club (using the AMEX Business Platinum) during the layover, right, w/o paying?
Old Apr 6, 2024, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Folks, thanks for the all the feedback. Got lucky and got targeted and approved for an AMEX Business Platinum and I think i can make the numbers work to offset that crazy annual fee for this card (at least for 1 year). I will designate Delta for the remainder of this year and use that $200 towards the baggage fee.

Sidebar question: I assume I can't get the kids into the MSP Sky Club (using the AMEX Business Platinum) during the layover, right, w/o paying?
Should be $100 for two guests with that card.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 5:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Should be $100 for two guests with that card.
SkyClub guest fees are reimbursed by the airline fee credit (and no trick required), if you haven't used all of it on checked bags.
bloc0102 and matchbox20_is like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.