Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stowaway - Flight 1683 SLC- Austin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by flyerCO
However that has no bearing on the GA taking/not taking it. As long as it cam be scanned, they're not going to care.
I respectfully disagree with this 100%.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lindros2
I respectfully disagree with this 100%.
Why was agent supposed to reject? As I noted, a Skyclub membership or old Skymiles card will work. It doesn't even need be an actual BP. Thus why should agent have rejected it?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Not sure of WN process. However most airlines, changing to a connection would require the buddy rebooking the standby to reflect additional taxes/fees.
Correct but typically it’s very minor (usually just the extra airport fee associated with the layover which is typically between $5-$15).
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Correct but typically it’s very minor (usually just the extra airport fee associated with the layover which is typically between $5-$15).
Right, but still would require buddy rebooking. It's not something where they could just simply walk over to HOU/DAL flight and get on.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:54 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Why was agent supposed to reject? As I noted, a Skyclub membership or old Skymiles card will work. It doesn't even need be an actual BP. Thus why should agent have rejected it?
1. Look at phone.
2. See it was a photo of someone else's boarding card.

You familiar with Delta's SOP's, or just guessing here?
(I don't really care how much you've flown nor what you think you know - this is now elevated)
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Wondering if WN will take any action with the buddy pass that the perp was trying to use after his idiocy in sneaking on the DL flight... or I wonder if that WN 'buddy pass' he was trying to use was even valid.
Yep. Something will happen. Either loss of non-rev travel privileges for the employee (real issue if they are a commuter and live out of base) or loss of employment. So many employees don't give out buddy passes for just this reason. Someone else's misbehavior can cost you your job. "Misbehavior" includes anything that is not "sit down and shut up".
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:52 am

Nonrevs have NO status for boarding unless there are seats available after ALL revenue has been seated. As a non-rev, I wish there was a way to know that someone has not passed through TSA at D-30 so the GA could drop the seats and give them away to the non-revs. We often are those last folks on the plane who look 'late' but have been waiting for a seat that comes available at D-17.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Given that WN doesn't interline, can WN buddy passes be used on other airlines like DL and vice versa? If not, there may not be a mechanism for DL to complain about the behavior of someone attempting to use a WN buddy pass. It might not be easy for WN to find out the identity of the employee who gave a buddy pass to the stowaway if the stowaway hasn't told this information to law enforcement and if law enforcement didn't search the person and find the buddy pass. [If it were an actual WN employee, there would be a good chance that a supervisor would recognize the person from the media attention that this stunt has generated.]
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Originally Posted by susanmckee
Yep. Something will happen. Either loss of non-rev travel privileges for the employee (real issue if they are a commuter and live out of base) or loss of employment. So many employees don't give out buddy passes for just this reason. Someone else's misbehavior can cost you your job. "Misbehavior" includes anything that is not "sit down and shut up".
"Misbehavior" is very subjective, but this guy clearly has got to know that what he did beyond anything his buddy could've imagined.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by Dracarys
"Misbehavior" is very subjective, but this guy clearly has got to know that what he did beyond anything his buddy could've imagined.
And yet, he is, and should still be, held responsible.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chipbennett
And yet, he is, and should still be, held responsible.
However the guy didn't misbehave in regards to WN. I'm not sure what grounds WN would have. The buddy cleared security, waited at gate, flight was full so didn't get on. Buddy left WN at that point. Nothing says buddy must leave airport immediately.

Now I could see WN saying he cant issue a pass to this buddy again. I just don't see anything beyond that.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

1. Look at phone.
2. See it was a photo of someone else's boarding card.

You familiar with Delta's SOP's, or just guessing here?
(I don't really care how much you've flown nor what you think you know - this is now elevated)
I'm very familiar with DL SOP. Both as a frequent flyer and as good friends and family of multiple DL GA, pilots and others.

Just because want this to be true doesn't make it true. Why would a photo of a BP be any less acceptable than the photo image that is sent via text by numerous airlines. It's not is the answer. You can literally use a barcode of your Skymiles account number to board.

I'm sure it is elevated. However the fact remains, the accepting of a photo in no way was an issue. Unless DL is only going to start accepting DL issued paper boarding passes this won't be an issue in future.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:37 am

I'm very familiar with DL SOP. Both as a frequent flyer and as good friends and family of multiple DL GA, pilots and others.

Just because want this to be true doesn't make it true. Why would a photo of a BP be any less acceptable than the photo image that is sent via text by numerous airlines. It's not is the answer. You can literally use a barcode of your Skymiles account number to board.

I'm sure it is elevated. However the fact remains, the accepting of a photo in no way was an issue. Unless DL is only going to start accepting DL issued paper boarding passes this won't be an issue in future.
Okay. https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/relea...travelers-know
(this is the inverse, but the opposite is true. Paper=paper, digital=digital. Photos are not allowed)
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Okay. https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/relea...travelers-know
(this is the inverse, but the opposite is true. Paper=paper, digital=digital. Photos are not allowed)
This seems to pertain to the TSA requirements for using a TSA checkpoint. It doesn't say anything about DL's requirements for boarding a DL flight. [The linked page is also labeled as "archived" so its content might not be current.]
flyerCO and jetsfan92588 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This seems to pertain to the TSA requirements for using a TSA checkpoint. It doesn't say anything about DL's requirements for boarding a DL flight. [The linked page is also labeled as "archived" so its content might not be current.]
i'll try this on Friday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.