Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stowaway - Flight 1683 SLC- Austin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The biggest fault I see, passenger was allowed to be in lav during pushback/taxi. The lavatory should've been checked prior to pushback.
On my DL flight two weeks ago, I got up before boarding closed to quickly use the lav and they shut the main boarding door while I was in the lavatory. FA was standing in the front galley when I went into the lav so they clearly knew someone was in the lav before closing the door.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
On my DL flight two weeks ago, I got up before boarding closed to quickly use the lav and they shut the main boarding door while I was in the lavatory. FA was standing in the front galley when I went into the lav so they clearly knew someone was in the lav before closing the door.
Door close and pushback are different things.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Why wouldn't they? You get emailed versions of BP. You can use old Skyclub cards (or older Skymile cards) that have varvode to board .
I can't even get my legit ON-DEVICE barcodes to work most of the time.
I used to work for a company - in the division - responsible for billions of QR and traditional barcodes - so I know how this works.

But taking a non-blurry photo of a barcode at distance is an art and a talent.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by enviroian
How did this guy get past TSA in the first place? He didn't have his "boarding pass" until he snapped a pic of one at the gate?
In the original post and linked article:

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Perp gets into airport via Southwest buddy pass
Southwest flight is full.
gets into airport == gets past TSA
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lindros2
I can't even get my legit ON-DEVICE barcodes to work most of the time.
I used to work for a company - in the division - responsible for billions of QR and traditional barcodes - so I know how this works.

But taking a non-blurry photo of a barcode at distance is an art and a talent.
Sure, might be ancissue with it being read.

However that has no bearing on the GA taking/not taking it. As long as it cam be scanned, they're not going to care.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:39 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by moondog
What are the stakes?

671:119 odds that s/he is fired, currency SkyPesos of course

there is side action that SWA will rehire in the first week, too.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Video of the photo snapping and double scan:

https://x.com/kutv2news/status/1771353621839413432
This makes me question the gate agent all the more. I assumed the guy took a picture of a phone app boarding pass, but no: he took a picture of a paper boarding pass. The gate agent let someone board by scanning a picture of a paper boarding pass?!?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Yes but the video of this incident clearly shows it was one of the "face down on the glass" scanners.
Something still looks off. Why was he standing around, chatting up the GA while other pax scanned/boarded behind him?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by chipbennett
This makes me question the gate agent all the more. I assumed the guy took a picture of a phone app boarding pass, but no: he took a picture of a paper boarding pass. The gate agent let someone board by scanning a picture of a paper boarding pass?!?
We already covered this. At SLC and many Delta airports, you scan your phone face down so the agent wouldn't have seen the screen.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Something still looks off. Why was he standing around, chatting up the GA while other pax scanned/boarded behind him?
Pick one:
He knew the GA.
He was trying to distract the GA.
He was interested in the GA.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Pick one:
He knew the GA.
He was trying to distract the GA.
He was interested in the GA.
Maybe he was being thanked for his Medallion status?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:26 pm

Given that the flight was sold out there was probably a potential VDB situation and he was stupid enough to volunteer.
chipbennett likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by resolute
His fatal mistake was that he picked a 100% full flight... He was pretty clever, but that 1 little detail of a completely full flight caught him... he needed an expert flyer subscription I reckon...
Lol, but wouldn't help if the flight was filled at the end with standby/non-revs.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I correct in assuming that a Southwest buddy pass would have let him board any flight that had space on that day? Then, why didn't he fly from SLC to, say, Houston Hobby and then try there for a flight where there would be greater frequency?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by amanuensis
Am I correct in assuming that a Southwest buddy pass would have let him board any flight that had space on that day? Then, why didn't he fly from SLC to, say, Houston Hobby and then try there for a flight where there would be greater frequency?
Not sure of WN process. However most airlines, changing to a connection would require the buddy rebooking the standby to reflect additional taxes/fees.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.