Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stowaway - Flight 1683 SLC- Austin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Highly doubt that. If they delayed based on every "duplicate "passenger alert on domestic flight there would be lots of upset passengers. They happen and not infrequently either.

so my next-door neighbor is actually a gate agent for Delta, and he’s the one who told me that the gate agent will be losing his job. Yes, if you get a duplicate, you must investigated according to him failing to do so is a fireable offense
lindros2 and DrMilano like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
With Delta's fares we are bound to see more and more stowaways...
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Video of the photo snapping and double scan:

Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
I think the media is overplaying this story . . . positioning it as "shocking" and a "security threat". I mean, he did clear the TSA checkpoint. Even if his stowaway plan had succeeded, nobody would have been in any danger.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:08 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by ND76
I wonder if the perp is a descendant of Mrs. Ada Quonsett.

well done!

classic

one of the reasons flying is so safe is that deviations from policy and procedure has consequences. I bet the Gate Agent is terminated with cause.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Video of the photo snapping and double scan:

https://x.com/kutv2news/status/1771353621839413432
The video is so clear it's almost a comedy skit.
He took a photo of a paper boarding card? and the gate agent accepted it?
enviroian, rylan, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by lindros2
The phone faces down for the scanner, and the scanner doesn’t know the difference between paper or screen. If it was a hand scanner or one where the phone faces up (like SkyClubs), it may have been noticed.
lindros2, wrp96, DLASflyer and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
well done!

classic

one of the reasons flying is so safe is that deviations from policy and procedure has consequences. I bet the Gate Agent is terminated with cause.
What are the stakes?
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
How did this guy get past TSA in the first place? He didn't have his "boarding pass" until he snapped a pic of one at the gate?
lindros2 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by enviroian
How did this guy get past TSA in the first place? He didn't have his "boarding pass" until he snapped a pic of one at the gate?
He was issued a buddy pass for WN by friend that works for WN and thus had a standby BP for WN. Thus why TSA says no issue on their end. WN flight was full so went to option B.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lindros2
Why wouldn't they? You get emailed versions of BP. You can use old Skyclub cards (or older Skymile cards) that have varvode to board .
moondog likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Adelphos
How did he get close enough to other people's phones to take a picture of their boarding passes?
Nevermind...already said
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by zeke3
The phone faces down for the scanner, and the scanner doesn’t know the difference between paper or screen. If it was a hand scanner or one where the phone faces up (like SkyClubs), it may have been noticed.
Some GAs lately have been using the handheld scanners similar to those found in the SC to board/scan BPs. Seen them in use at MCO and BNA just to name a few specifically.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Some GAs lately have been using the handheld scanners similar to those found in the SC to board/scan BPs. Seen them in use at MCO and BNA just to name a few specifically.
Yes but the video of this incident clearly shows it was one of the "face down on the glass" scanners.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Even in this case, photo on a smartphone wouldn't likely being noticed. BPs come in many forms, and can come from any airline that interline with them.

I'm sure there will be talks to be more careful. However i just don't see where the GA screwed up. If a duplicate wasn't a common occurrence, sure I'd place more blame on them. However duplicates are far from uncommon.

Also mainline FA don't do head counts before closing door. Only the regionals do a headcount anymore.

The biggest fault I see, passenger was allowed to be in lav during pushback/taxi. The lavatory should've been checked prior to pushback.
moondog, wrp96, DrMilano and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.